1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung SP50L7HX Questions...

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Caimbeul, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi, I am hoping to purchase the above mention TV over the next 6 weeks or so but have a number of questions to which i couldnt quite find the answers to in the forum (Sorry!). So any help would be appreciated. :)

1, Does anyone have an idea as to a solution for placing a center speaker above or below (preferably below) the screen? its a great looking TV but considering the market I would have guessed it is aimed at ie: Home Cinema etc it is a rather impractival one. :confused:

2, Life expectancy for the bulb...does anyone have a vague idea about this?...I spoke to a girl at Samsung who in turn spoke to an "engineer" who then came back with a figure of 60,000hrs. Now I find this rather hard to believe since I hear general figures for DLP's of about 8,000hrs and SevenOaks Sound and vision said around 4,000 which is completely cr@p. :(

3, is related to the question 2 and is: Does anyone know roughly how much a replacement bulb costs and is it replaceable by the user ie: Me or does it have to be fitted by an engineer?

4, I may be confused but is there an exact same version available without the plinth stand?

5, I cant seem to find much mention of the Rainbow effect...does the screen suffer from it much? and the "low level green blocking on deep blacks" as mentioned by various magazines, is it REALLY that noticable? I know haw picky review mags can be.

6th and final question is (thx for reading this far!): The sammy is based on the HD2+ chipset and I hear that there are some new Toshibas comming soon based on the HD4. Would it be worth waiting to see what these are like given the already excellent general opinion of the Sammy and to Samsung themselves have anything new due soon?

Thank you in advance for any light you can shed on these questions...your help and insight is appreciated. :lease:

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    re: 2 - like you I'd doubt 60k hours. Sounds more like the backlight lifespan for an LCD direct view set.

re: 5 - TV's don't suffer from Rainbows; some (few, I guess) people do. So, when you read replies like ("I've got one and it isn't a problem") it means that user is OK - not necessarily that the TV is. All one chip DLPs have the fundamental process that causes rainbows in some people, and viewing fatigue in some others. You are the only person who can tell if you are one of them.

3. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks for that info LV426! That clarifies one element for me...Cheers

4. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Let me have a go at the rest then

1) Centre speaker is a bit of an issue. I have mine on the glass plinth at the bottom just in front of the centre pedestal - but I have a small 'egg' style celestion speaker so it fits well - a larger one wouldn't. Also, it's a little low - but we watch from some way back, and the low position doesn't seem offputting so far. Others have stood it to one side of the centre stand & seem happy with that. Only other option I had thought of was to build a small shelf above the screen - but it could look a little naff. So, net position is tat it is a bit of a hassle, but a manageable one

2) Agree with LV426 - not going to be 60k hours on any normal bulb

3) Don't know how much it costs, but I wouldn't expect it to be cheap. Can be replaced by you though.

4) Not quite sure what you mean here. There is a triangular side-stand that can be used to stand AV kit on the bottom plinth - this comes free from some suppliers - others may charge. If you don't want it you don't need ot put it on (mine is still in it's shipping box). As for the centre stand, tat can't be removed as it's where the projection clobber is. However I believe that there are more conventionally shaped models that would stand on an ordinary stand and could take a centre speaker underneath. Not sure of models etc. - or even if that is just the next set of models that are coming out

5) Rainbows - see LV426 note. Low level green - has been discussed fairly widely, largely as an issue on some sets with HDMI feeds. There is a solution based on changes on the service engineers menu page - however, I've not yet fed it from via HDMI, so haven't seen if I have the issue, or how manageable or easy the solution is - but others seem to regard this issue as sorted.

6) You takes your money ... I got bored waiting, and the price was excellent - and I'll look to replace with an OLED model or similar in a few years. I expect new models to cost more (at least initially), though Samsung do have some that are long awaited (like a 56" version of the pedestal**. Not quite sure of HD4 - I thought TI was moving from that way of designating to something else. Anyway, the US versions will be based on what would otherwise have been called HD4, and provide 1080 lines (though they cheat and use one mirror for two pixels). European hi def is 720p not 1080i though, so it doesn't provide much of an advantage (720p is damn good)

** Saw one of these last week in a USA CostCo for $3799 (ish - I think) - which is about £2k which was annoying. Did consider popping one in the trolley, but thought it might be a tight squeeze in my cabin baggage unless I left a couple of things behind ;) Seriously - if you think the 50" box is large, you should see the 56" box - it must be 1.75metres tall!

Cheers

Greg

5. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks for all the info Greg, I think DLP is the way to go as I also do alot of console gaming which plasma by its very nature doesnt really seem suited to.

My main concern now after reading numerous posts on this and other forums is bulb life. If I can get some solid info on what I can expect then I can stop stressing out! - Dont suppose your manual mentioned projected life-span for your bulb did it?

Thanks once again! :thumbsup:

6. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
  7. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: