Samsung SP50L7HX +green tinges

sheep

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone i have been a bit quiet lately as some will know ive been waiting for my replacement sammy as the other one had serious problems with green tinging via hdmi and not quite so bad via component...well guess what new tv has arrived and it the same!!!,i have tried another panasonic s97 with different leads,i borrowed a denon 2910 and tried that with different leads etc and i cannot get it any better some of you had commented on my choice of test dvd namely the matrix so i have been testing various dvds from "hero" to "blade trinity",and all suffer ,on blade trinity opening scene with helicopters coming over the mountain range there is a green shadow along the mountain ridge,the heli blades are a green blur,and when it pans to the helicopters landing the sky at the top of the screen is green,on here beginning scene where the chess game is being played the white chess peice is greenish now im convinced this is a setting issue but i cant for the life of me see what the problem is,ialso cant seem to get full screen picture without losing half of the picture???could it be linked,anyway sorry for the lengthy post but i need help if anyone wants to see the green pics i have posted them under oh no not again post

sheep :-((

Hi Sheep. It may be that it is not the TV, as such, but yourself. That is, you're perhaps one of those people who sees the rainbow effect on a DLP? Have a look for the thread of that name on this forum.

Lol it most definately isnt the rainbow effect every person that looks at my tv sees the green plague and its there all the time see my other posts,but thanks for replying

sheep

Hi Sheep - I think the green tinge through your HDMI source is not a problem with your specific Samsung, but a problem with all of them. Before purchasing my own I noticed in almost all of the professional reviews of the TV it was mentioned that digital blocking noise (green on black) was evident through the HDMI input. It looks like we either have to put up with it or go with a different manufacturer.

If you check out the following reviews on the following website you may recognise your problem further:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreviews.php

:hiya:

I had this a little initially, i turned the green down to 30 which seemed to get rid of it. Mind you mine was only a little tinge, depends on how bad it is. :smashin:

:hiya:

I had a wee problem with a very slight green tinge initially, most noticably on blacks. After adjusting my settings and turning the green down to 30 it seemed to have gone. I've read about effects like this from hdmi but with component i had no probs at all.

just an update for you ,I eventually got hold of tech support(samsung)and basically cant believe what i was told and be aware i am only repeating what i was told on the phone and have not yet recieved any confirmation via letter etc(should sort any legal probs) i have been told that samsung are aware of problems with green/red/ tinging via hdmi it is not a dvd player/cable problem but definately a problem with the samsung coping with these colours via hdmi well of course this explains exactly my problem component is pretty good but hdmi very bad,i got the impression that this is fairly common but lets face it apart from you techy guys here lol most people who have bought this set probably dont have hdmi connectivity yet and so dont realise there is a problem i repeat i was told it was not a batch issue but a general problem,now i was told this by one guy and im sure samsung as a company would not be so upfront about the problems with this set so please be aware i am only expressing my views in light of what i have been told(for all you samsung employee's out there),i have told comet about this and to be honest they are really cool(local store)and basically have asked me what i want ie they have said i could have the pioneer pdp-435fdete+stand+5 year warranty for no extra cost(3000 instore) but i dont know what to do as i still believe dlp is better than plasma,but after four dlp's and two different models.....any ideas guys????

sheep

Well I don't have a green or any other kind of tint problem and I've watched Blade Trinity via HDMI. Also the reviews that mention it on blacks say you have to be up close - I can see the blocking if i'm about 3-4" from the screen but I sit 10ft away so the blacks look solid and deep black. But I have a new Samsung DVD player so maybe its compensating??

As the Toshiba pose will verify I'm a picky bugger too so for me not to notice this kind of thing is rare :)

all i can say KableMan is im honestly very pleased for you,i love this tv via rgb scart etc its outstanding but based on my own personal experiences with this set i can honestly say i dont know what to do i am physically tired with constantly having to deal with this and wonder whether i should have had a third Tosh or do i try and get this one repaired or do i say bo**ocks to it all and go for a plasma with all their problems,i suppose the bottom line is this i am disgusted that all sets tosh,sammy etc have been sold with inherent problems to varying degrees i mean is it really acceptable in this day and age for manufacturers to sell us goods without proper and thorough testing,i mean for a Samsung techie to tell me that they know that some sets are having problems handling colours via hdmi and still they seem more than happy to sell these sets as they are and if the customer complains well they will sort that problem when it happens????it doesnt seem right to me,i get the general opinion that all dlp's are subject to problems as probably are plasma's as all new technology seems to have teething problems my point is should we as paying customers accept this as the norm or should manufacturers be forced to take more time in developing products/solving isuues to minimize problems for the customer???i do apologise for my ranting but hopefully it will give you a giggle and at least i have got it off of my chest oh and also any ideas on what to do will be gratefully accepted

sheep

sheep,i use the sammy hd 945 with the sp50 via hdmi and the picture is perfect.the picture is practically as good on other inputs as well.i have had the set a couple of months and picturewise i haven't had a single fault,no rainbows,smearing,artefacts,gliches,no motion blur or anything else.if my set is perfect then everyone elses should be as well if samsungs'quality control is working correctly.any faults must stem from the factory floor settings for each individual set.

I saw greeny blacks on a Sammy in currys, from a dvd player which was connect via scart.

I also get get dark green in the blacks from one of my sat receivers which is connected via s-video

Hey sheep - I totally agree with you and feel for you too as I've been through the mill with the Toshiba.

I've also gone back to Blade Trinity and while I really do not see the green as strongly as you obviously do on your set I did pause the scene where the helicopters fly over the mountain and I can see a faint hint of green in the darker portions of the sky. The edge of the mountain, the heli blades and the sky on the landing scene are all clear though when I didn't know about the green tint at all I didn't notice even the faint hints. However switching between component and HDMI you do see a noticeable improvement but you also see a slight softening of the noise in the image too - actually its probably the other way around - the HDMI exposes the poor compression in such scenes and it probably does introduce slightly too much green tint to the darker scenes but again on my set I'd have staked my life on describing it as perfect prior to examining this scene up close. So I do think you are on to something and it is obviously a problem but I would try another replacement as it looks like my set is in a much better shape. The trouble with Blade as a test is that it does have lots of dark scenes dimmly lit by florescent lights - which do in reality give a green-ish glow so its so hard to spot intentional and unintentional tints. But from your description it really does sound like you have a problem - again! Sorry :(

I have my TV setup in cinema mode calibrated using the Star Wars THX setup to reduce the contrast and raise the brightness to give better detail in darker scenes and I also have DNIe turned on most of the time. I only use Standard with the XBOX and even then my contrast settings match those on the other channels. When you first switch to cinema mode it appears duller and darker but give it time for you eyes to adjust and the results are impressive - the colours all look more natural and realistic - it can literally transform a TV show like Star Trek into DVD movie territory!!

So hands up on the green tint - I do see it - and damn you all for pointing it out to me :D as once you spot anything on these sets you do tend to obsess over them - we are all whether we admit it or not perfectionists - so switching to plasma probably isn't going to help you out. I'd go for another replacement, if you can, as there seems to be enough good examples about and try not to focus on certain scenes - play the Wizard of Oz in good old technie colour for a few hours a day to break free of the cycle :D

Those owners who have adjusted for the green tint - what have you done?

Oh another thing - I can switch between NTSC and PAL on the HD850 and my Blade Trinity DVD is region 1 and I do also notice an improvement when running it as NTSC - as I guess switch to PAL is just another layer of digital processing. Oh and turn off DNIe on the sky/helicopter fly by and my god the noise is horrific - then when you switch back it looks much better.

I watch a new DVD the other night and forgot what res it was and what settings I had and I just enjoyed being scared s**tless by its horror scenes and it was fantastic! No rainbows, no blurs, no tints... and I'm not going to back to look for them...honest...I'm not...well maybe one look...no no no...

...now where did I put that disc... :eek:

Sheep have you tried turning down the green on the set as was mentioned in this post? If so did it make no difference?

hi all and thanks for your replies,i have tried adjusting all settings and it makes no difference,as i have said i was told that samsung were aware of problems on "some sets" not on all but that it wasnt a batch problem ie it could effect any of them,i will try to post some pics of blade trinity etc as i can asssure you,you dont have to look very hard to see it,the scene where the little girl is crawling through the ducting coming towards the camera...here eyes are bright green lol i have a 12 year old daughter who commented on the green screen,all my friends think it looks cr*p and so even though i definately agree that you can get obsessed with faults with this one its hard to ignore,now my hardest choice is what to do,do i go back to the Tosh and try a 3rd one or do i let them repair the sammy even though i suspect (hints from samsung)that they will just adjust the grenn brightness from the service menu? i mean if this is done will it effect the overall pq as this seems more of a bodge than actually tackling the problem

sheep

I am very worried after selling my pw6 to upgrade to a hd ready set, (awaiting sp50 on tuesday) now reading your hdmi issues. I would like to know if this is only when playing dvds (i.e. upscaling to hdmi) or is it with true hd stuff from a htpc (i.e. will be ok with sky hd). I dont want to fork out the best part of 2 grand on a tv that i will regret buying in a years time.

I've been through a few of your other posts sheep and find a quote saying hdmi through the pc is ok? Is that by using your pc's dvd player, or just with hd material. The point i am trying to make is will the samsung suffer green tints with the sky hd/bluray/hddvd etc etc, or is it just with these hdmi upscaling sources such as the dvd player you are using.

hi all hd clips through pc are fine,sky via rgb scart are fine,component is okish(bit of green)hdmi is crap and that is through s97 dvd player upscaled or not makes no difference,but i will say this last night i did a bit of playing in lets say menu's that arent usually there :)) and by upping the gamma green from 32 to 36 green tinging vanishes although it looks very slightly red lol and i didnt want to mess around to much although by hitting reset alls well(but i would reccomend writing down any setting changes just in case) so i have reset it back to original setting and when engineer comes out i will be able to see what he can do,has anyone looked into this ummm menu and if so if you have no problems via hdmi what are your settings(its the first menu top left)would be very grateful for any information as it seems it is as i hoped and just possibly a crap setup from factory,i hope so because i love this telly lol

sheep

ok my minds at rest then with the hd clips (i presume your using a dvi-hdmi cable for these clips? if its vga its the same as component signal and irrelevant to me, please specify). also have you tried watching dvds using the pcs dvd player, if so any green?

no sorry as a rule i use vga connection for pc as dvd player is set via hdmi now i cant see a great deal of difference between vga and dvi on hd clips but if i hook pc through dvi and use dvd software green is still there which proves to me it is the hdmi connection that causes the prob but as my last post i think it just a setup issue and when a technician comes out i will of course post my results,but all i will say tim k is that most people here have no problem whatsoever with the samsung and they all use hdmi so as usual it probably is just my luck lol and lets face it with all these tv's people are quicker to post problems than they are to post rave reviews its human nature i suppose,i am now on my 4th dlp but i am still convinced this technology is far superior to anything else on the market ie plasma etc(personal opinion)and the sammy is one sexy beast v:)) lets just hope i can get it sorted!!!

sheep

Hey sheep :hiya: how do you get into the nudge nudge wink wink umm menu then? Also once your engineer comes round, if he does fix it, can you post the results and settings please? As I said before my set doesn't seem to suffer with this problem but it'd still be nice to know just in case. Thanks :smashin:

Tim - as Sheep says he's been unlucky with his TVs as I'm not having noticeable green issues via HDMI and HD demos look superb via HDMI and/or VGA. Also Sky have said that their HD box will output via component as well as HDMI and the Samsung accepts HD inputs at 720p or 1080i via component so you'll have the option to use these connections too. I'm hoping someone will bring out a HDMI switch box too!

Cheers
KableMan

Yeah i suppose your right, but it is now dawning on me that hdmi really isnt all that, i.e. you guys cant really tell the difference to component/vga - hdmi. but i will be using the dvi-hdmi lead from my htpc for all hd stuff as well as my main dvd source. so i hope i dont have green tinge issues. do you think its anything to do with the hd2 chip used, or is it just a samsung issue. (all reviews i read mention hdmi isnt up to scratch on the screen, and this is really what i bought it for). has anyone had hd material using hdmi cable from pc on the samsung and compared the same setup on a axium rd50?

The HDMI on the Samsung is superb - super sharp and the colours are very vibrant via the digital connection compared with component and vga - which are themselves still excellent. But HDMI can be sublime with the right material and will really come into its own when HD comes along. I had a Toshiba 46" DLP previously and the HDMI on the Samsung is better especially when playing HD demos. Infact my only issue with HDMI is that most currently available sources aren't up to the scrutiny it puts them under - it is so sharp is will expose any poor DVDs. As Sheep says the green tint issue only seems to effect some TVs and hopefully can be corrected via the Service Menu. I really didn't notice a thing until I examined the scenes mentioned up close and then I'm one of the lucky ones (makes a change!) as its still not very noticeable at all.

Also every magazine review that i've read has tended to admit that they are clutching at straws when they start to criticise its HDMI performance as it still kicks the competition into touch. It wouldn't have been rated number 1 by just about every reviewer going including Rear Projection TV of the Year in HCC which is one of the few mags I do rate.

So I wouldn't right off the HDMI connection just yet or the Samsung :)

Cheers
KableMan

yeah it was just a case of p**sing on the fire i suppose! im all set with my connectivity for the hd demos ive downloaded and cant wait to get playing on delivery (tuesday).

just an update for you all,i took my s97 dvd player complete with hdmi-hdmi lead to comet tried it through their sagem on display and guess what no green tinge...then took the comet guy with me to currys next door hooked my kit up to their samsung sp50 and....green,green,green so i can conclusively say that out of three samsung sp50's tried all of them exhibited very bad green tinges,both the comet guy and the curry's guy commented on how cr*p it looked so i know its not me being picky(as some of you probably thought lol) anyway im trying to get a samsung engineer to come and have a look at it but because comet buy the guaurantee as well as the tv they will not come out so at this moment, comet are trying to get a samsung or samsung trained engineer to come and see whats going on if this doesnt happen then i'm afraid i will not be risking getting another dud and will be looking for something else...any ideas????

sheep

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom