1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

samsung SP50L7HX + general info

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Phill1978, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Phill1978

Phill1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    hi i think im posting in the right place ?? anyways.. im wanting one of these..

[image removed,please host images on your own wedspace.read the rules regarding bandwidth leeching-lynx]

a samsung SP50L7HX.

its a lot of monet to fork out but im after a long lasting image with good quality. I have seen some exellent pictures on recent panasonic plasma screens 42" and wondered how close a 50" rear pro like this one, using say the DVI input from dvd or 1024 x 768 pc video media files will compare ?

i must also add i have seen advertised for £3500 but it can be picked up for £2700, i also belive due to plasmas and the fact that people dont like the restricted rearpro viewing angles that this will drop even further to around £2400 within months. :smashin:

any help with this screen is apreciated.

thankyou

2. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let's hope so....

I want one also.

3. Phill1978

Phill1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    does anyone know if it takes a pal progressive component video feed ?

here are the specs:

Resolution: 1280 X 720
    Grade: HD Ready
    Aspect Ratio: 16:9
    PAL-B/G, D/K, I: Yes
    SECAM-B/G, D/K, L/L': Yes
    NTSC 3.58: X(CIS:: Yes)
    NTSC 4.43: Yes
    VIT (NTSC playback by Scart): Yes
    Cable/Hyper Band: Yes
    VHF/UHF: Yes
    Micro Fine Pitch Screen: Yes
    First Surface Mirror: Yes
    Display Format: 720p
    Progressive Scan: Yes
    Comb Filter: 4H
    Dynamic Black Level Expansion: Yes
    LNA: Yes
    2:2/3:2 Pull Down: Yes
    Gamma Compensation: Yes
    Digital Noise Reduction: Yes
    Aspect Ratio (480i): 7 Modes
    Picture Mode: 4 Modes
    Color Temperature Adjust: Yes
    DNIe3: Yes
    Stereo/Mono: A2/Nicam ST
    Auto Stereo: Yes
    AV Stereo: Yes
    Sound Output (MPO): 30W × 2Ch.
    Surround Sound: TruSurround XT
    Tweeter Speaker Type: Yes
    Woofer Speaker Type: Yes
    Number of Speakers: 2 Way x 4
    Sound Equalizer (5 Band): Yes
    Sound Mode: 5 Modes
    PIP: 2 Tuner
    Double Screen: Yes
    Picture and Text: Yes
    PiP SWAP: Yes
    PiP Size Change: Yes
    PiP Location: Yes
    Auto Wide: Yes
    On Screen Menu: Smart UI
    OSG Language: 18 Language
    Teletext Hi Level: 2.5
    Teletext Memory: 2000 p
    ATS (Auto Tunning and Sorting): Yes
    Channel Memory: 100 Ch
    Channel Add Erase: Yes
    Sleep Timer: 180 Minutes
    On/Off Timer & Clock: Yes
    Auto Power Off (15 Minutes): Yes
    Absent Power Off (3 Hours): Yes
    Last Memory (Aspect, Picture Setting): Yes
    Still Picture: Yes
    Previous Channel: Yes
    Channel Labeling: Yes
    Input Labeling (Source Select): Yes
    Channel Scan: Yes
    None Volatile Memory: Yes
    Panel Lock: Yes
    Child Lock (Channel Lock): Yes
    Information Display: Yes
    Blue Screen: Yes
    Auto Volume Leveler: Yes
    Plug & Play: Yes
    Melody On/Off: Yes
    Self Diagnostic System): Yes
    RF: R1
    PC Input(D-sub 15pin): R1
    PC Audio In: R1
    DVI Audio In: R1
    AV In (RCA): F1
    S-Video In: F1/R1
    Monitor & Sound Out (RCA): R1
    Component In (Smart Jack): R1 <<-- whats a smart jack
    HDMI: R1
    RS-232C(Mini Jack, Service):: R1
    Scart Jack: R3
    Remote Control: TM77
    Universal Remote Control: Yes
    Dimension ( W*D*H ): 1361*520*1389
    Weight ( Net Kg/Gross Kg): 56.9/78

at least it has HDMI support, but i dont like the sound of smart jack. id want to be able to use my own high quality component leads.

other than that, i dont think il ever really be in a posisiton to view the picture first hand. so i would much appreciate any feedback on picture quality or any other info people may have. Obivously ive seen the thompson HD50 screen, same size more inputs probably better picture but im afraid justifying it to the other half means it has to look damn sexy and the samsung does. :rolleyes:

any reviews yet ??

4. Phill1978

Phill1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    ..also sorry to sound ignorant but whats the deal with DVI connection on this set. It has HDMI but no mention of HDCP ?? does that mean this brand new state of the art 3k set wont play blue-ray hidef when it comes out or accept DVI from PC or curent DVD player with this connection.. ??? arrrg why do the electronics companies do this.

:suicide:

5. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I have seen one of these at my local (Silverlink, North Shields) curry's and I was very impressed with the picture, mind you they did have the usual "visualy perfect" monsters inc. playing so that's not much of a test for it. It's a bit too contempary/modern for my tastes, I much prefer the table top style because you can house all the rest of your kit in a decent stand/cabinet underneath, but I must admit it is stunning to look at.
    Cheers,
    Oddbodd.

6. Phill1978

Phill1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    how would this compare to the rd50 ??

7. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    That's a hard one as comet had their rd50 shoved in a corner with a crap feed. In the looks department though the Samy is the winner.

8. runningback

runningback
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Am i the only one who thinks that apart from impractical that Samsung stand is hideous?

I'd prefer the RD50.

9. Phill1978

Phill1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Yes, probably :laugh:

Im in the market for a 50" screen (not projector i have issues with those). Im obvioulsy wanting the best screen for no more than £2500. Id like it to be the samsung as that is easier to sneek past the other half :rolleyes: but if the RD50 has noticebly better features of pictures (i know its currently cheaper) i will go for that. i expect the samsung to drop in price like most rear pros.

thing is a decent well calibrated rearpro has an great picture - pound ratio, in fact its a major advantage to get a 50" and have people gawp more than they would at a 42" plasma or 37" LCD.
    i cant say il be albe to view in person any of these screens but i can say that i have seen 2yrs ago a £899 toshiba 42" produce exellent grain free images from a dreamcast that were more than good enough and recently a £1000 sony KP somthing or other ? produce great images. i just know 42" to 50" is a big leap of faith. :boring: sorry im boring you lot.

please help. any review of either are much needed

10. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi,

All HDMI connections are HDCP compatible, so no need to worry.

Steve

11. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Hi Runningback - not the only one - me to - It's totally impractical - a total waste of the space underneath the set where the AV kit could be stored - and with such a big screen - that's a LOT of wasted space!!!

The Optoma RD50 on its custom stand looks the mutts nuts in my humble opinion. :thumbsup:

12. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree, the glas stand is a nightmare as there are no wheels either underneath making it very ackward to move and such a waste of space.

13. Phill1978

Phill1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    anyone got a picture of the RD50 with custom stand, also where can you get this stand from and can you leave out the standard stand when buying in order to reduce cost ? :confused: :confused:

14. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
  15. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The IKEA stand is most recommended and looks very nice to this TV from either Sagem or Optoma.

Check this lovely picture

[​IMG]

16. Phill1978

Phill1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    sorry for being thick but i thought the RD50 was a Thompson theme scence telly ?? not Sagem or Optoma > :confused:

please explain.

also even though that tv looks amazing in sliver and on that stand, i cant help but notice the picture looks washed out and dim compared to plasma ?? although ive seen Rearpro`s look much brighter an solid than them.. is it the enourmous 50" size which removes light ?? if that is just the picture can you post another one with better ligh conditions etc..

17. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Oddbodd

What Comet did you see the RD50 in? I've assume this is the Optoma? I've been looking around a couple of local Comet stores to where i live over the last couple of weeks, i've been closely considering the Sagem, but i would like to see the Optoma in the flesh and also wait for the Toshiba release prior to making a decision. I've only seen the Optoma on the HiFiBlitz website!

18. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    The "ThemeScene" range (which includes numerous DLP Projectors, and the RD50 & RD65 DLP Rear Projection Monitor/TV's) are manufactured by OPTOMA - An American company.

The Thompson (French) DLP range is known as "Scenium" (also known as RCA "Sceneium" in certain countries) and include a 50" 50DLY645 - and 61" 61DLY645 models.

More details on Thomson's website: http://www.thomson.fr ;)

19. Phill1978

Phill1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    thanxs for the info.

i still like the look of the samsung. can you tell me if this Samsung 50" DLP LCD - HLN507W is newer/better or more advanced than the SP50L7HX

[​IMG]

image from avsforum members gallery courtesy of silx. hope you dont mind. :thumbsup:

this is the sort of quality im after from a LCD rearpro

thanks

20. Phill1978

Phill1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    anyone ? :boring:

21. Oddbodd

Oddbodd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Hi soni, it was the comet store at the Silverlink retail park at North Shields and it was the Sagem model.
    Sinelanguage, your getting your lines slightly crossed as DLP and LCD are two completely different systems. The model in that picture is a DLP (table top version) which at the moment is only available stateside. There is going to be a table top version released here soon but I think it's only 42" or 46".
    Cheers,
    Oddbodd.

22. Phill1978

Phill1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    are DLP`s better than LCD`s ?? screen burn, lamp life ?? viewing angle :confused:

i assume DLP`s are better for colour+brightness and contrast but also cost more in lamp life terms ?

arrrg all i want is 46"-50" 16:9 with 1024x768 (hopefully more tho) with HDMI,DVI,vga, component and a stunning picture for £2000-£2300.

Isnt it the case tha LCD`s are dropping fast in price (i mean the TFT lcd`s) and that soon lcd and plasma will make these kind of sets old hat. This should mean you can pick up a huge screen for peanuts with great picture. Sorry for being a newbie but rearpro`s confuse me. :rolleyes:

23. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sinelanguage: I personally prefer the rear pro DLP Sagem to anything i've seen to date. I've been looking around various stores for a new set for about 3 weeks. I’m not in a great hurry for one, as i've got loads of decorating to do first! I don't want to pay anymore than about £2,500.00, but I've seen a £4,500.00 42" LCD in a very well known AV retailer (think it was a Panasonic) and although the frame looked beautiful, the picture was absolutely terrible. It was being fed high def, and the main picture looked nice, but there was a certain part in the film where the camera span around and all the background started juddering. But, I was in Comet yesterday, looking over the Sagem AGAIN (been there about 5 times) and they had a high def. film showing which was something to do with a roller coaster. The camera was positioned right on the front of the roller coaster, and as the roller coaster went up to the top of the rail, it slowly climbed over the top and as it went down it gained terrific speed, I’m not exaggerating by any means when I say my stomach actually went up and around as though I was actually sitting in it – it actually made you feel you were there! Even if the bulbs are a little more expensive, which i'm not sure they are, its justifiable given the picture performance of DLP over LCD. Furthermore, I don't like the idea that Plasmas picture deteriorates at a rate of about 10-15% per year, so in 4-5 years time, you'll be looking at a picture that is only half of what it was five years previous, whereas DLP, replace the bulb, and you've got a perfect picture again! I certainly know where my money is going!

24. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very true, i don't find plasmas any good at all in displaying the picture, in the low-end 852x480 the pixels are very obvious and you loose 100 lines in our PAL system, the 1024x768 are better but the pixels are still there.

The best plasmas i've seen are the the ones with Alis panels.

With regards to the extreme high prices of plasma i don't find it to be a valid solution when comparing to DLPs.

I watched the Samsung L7 some weeks ago and the picture is really good, however i don't really like the pedestal it stands on.

25. Phill1978

Phill1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    film showing which was something to do with a roller coaster. The camera was positioned right on the front of the roller coaster, and as the roller coaster went up to the top of the rail, it slowly climbed over the top and as it went down it gained terrific speed, I’m not exaggerating by any means when I say my stomach actually went up and around as though I was actually sitting in it <<--

Yea cant you download that ??? there are quite a few HD examples from here

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/content_provider/film/ContentShowcase.aspx

A high def rollercoaster ride used to be on this site about six months ago but i dont think its there now. anyways if you run a HTPC its a good source for some hi-def demo material. I know for a fact il be using a HTPC for high-def gaming and video replay through the DVI.

BTW what model of sagem where you looking at and do you have a picture/prices youve got my attention with this product :cool:

thanks for your help

26. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sinelanguage: It was the Sagem AXIUMHTD501DLP, its selling for £1,999.00 in Comet, but about 4 weeks ago it was up for £2,500.00! I'm very interested as well in this set, but have got quite a lot of decorating to do in our lounge prior to purchasing, so will probably be looking to buy around Christmas time, or if i can wait until the January sales, i'm sure it will drop even further, especially with the upcoming release of the Toshiba and Samsung DLP sets. Check out a picture of it on the comet website here at http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/182974.html