1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung SP50L3HX doe's whistle !!! WHY ???

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by pmcomp, Feb 14, 2005.

1. pmcomp

pmcomp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've just bought in Poland a brand new Samsung SP50L3HX with a table. It looks perfect :D , the picture quality is excellent and sharp :smashin: comparing to my old CRT Philips 55PP9501. Operating is much worse then in Philips. But it isn't the biggest problem. MY BRAND NEW DLP PROJECTOR DOE'S WHISTLE !!! :mad: I'm in shock !!! There is a few kHz sound, certailnle high frequencies, what ist comming probably from a fan or from a coulor wheel. It's a presumption from Samsung service. It's a little modulation of the sound to hearing after changing between TV tuner inpots and external inputs. It's very strong on the beginning after turning on and comes down later, but is still hearable.

Has anybody from you that kind of problem? Maybe with the bothers 46" or SP50L7?

Please :lease: help me. I don't know what to do, claim or put it though the window :devil:
    Thanks
    Piotr

2. parnassus

parnassus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a whistle on my set as well - more of a whine, i'd say. It's not bad enough to notice though, it disappears when i'm watching a movie i think. It seems to appear when switching resolutions, but then my monitor whines as well, so i'm used to it.

Can you do me a favour and tell me if you have problems with colour banding on your set? In dark sections on my set, the colour seems dithered as well. This is a real problem; halo 2 looks like crap and movies? Imagine trying to watch something like <i>Batman</i>... I'm thinking of returning my set if I can't solve these problems, 1500:1 contrast ratio? i fell for it LOL

3. pmcomp

pmcomp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

the technicians from service were coming. There is definitly the problem with the colour wheel. They were changing the wheel for a new one and ... whistling was stopped but ... the set wasn't working properly. They ordered the wheel for my model (SP50L3HX) but the new one had an another spare part number.
    Wrrrrr :devil:
    I'm going to change my set to another one :cool:

Withe the colors I hasn't seen any big problems. Maybe because I use Cinemateq Picture Optimizer and set any parameters separatelly for inputs and outputs.

Unfortunatelly I've seen bigger problem with the geometry. it has a "pillow" effect. Every models what I've seen had this problem: SP50L7HX, Sagem 45" as well. Only Sagem Axium 50" was "pillow's free".

See ya.

Piotr

4. NPM108

NPM108
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pmcomp when they changed your colour they probably replaced it with an Air Bearing Colour Wheel. If its like the SP46L3HX then the technician will have to remove a jumper and also on the new colour wheel is what looks like a barcode and a series of numbers and codes.

I've been told these are the new settings that must be entered in the service menu in order to get it to work.

As you say the ideal is a new set, either without this problem or already with the new colour wheel.

Good luck. As for the pillow effect, I have it too and strangely enough noticed it on my DLP projector today. Not alot but this time I was looking for it!

5. pmcomp

pmcomp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everybody,

The technician has changed the colour wheel and my set is as brand new !!! :D
    It dosn't whistle anymore. I'm very happy, I can hear the movie track without any additional sounds.

Back to the geometry: I've seen the new Thomson, that only 18 cm thin. I was impressed. The picture without any pillow or barell distrortions. But that price ... in 61 inches about 7.000,- EUR.

OK. My Samsung works perfect, I can at last see my movies.

Best ragards.
    Piotr