1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung SP50 & Toshiba 46WM48P Screenshots!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by soni, Aug 4, 2005.

1. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Guys – as I mentioned within another thread, I have some screenshots of both the Samsung SP50L7 and the Toshiba 46WM48p, displaying the same images on each set.

For those of you not familiar with my background, I originally owned the Toshiba for a little over 4 months before returning it and purchasing the Samsung.

I returned the Toshiba due to the motion blurring/fizzing. I was aware of this problem prior to purchasing the Toshiba, and actually witnessed it on Gladiator during a demo, but believed that it was due to the actual film, and would not be a regular occurrence. However, it seemed to get worse after I purchased the set, although it was probably just me looking out for it as I was noticing it on every film I watched, and in the end wasn’t really watching any films – instead I was actually concentrating and waiting for each panning shot so I could see how bad the fizzing was!

Anyway, I really liked the Toshiba apart from the fizzing, which I just couldn’t put up with anymore. So, I managed to get a complete refund from Comet (was very decent of them) and was looking at the Samsung SP50 but had heard reports that the picture wasn’t as sharp as the Toshiba, and bearing in mind I didn’t want to make another mistake, decided that I should compare the picture on both sets prior to another purchase.

So, due to not having any Comets or Currys within my area having both sets on display, I decided that the only option I had was to take some screenshots with a camera. Although I realise it wasn’t the most accurate of methods – it was the only one available to me! So, i took along my Denon 2910 DVD player, along with my QED HDMI lead, and hooked it up to the Sammy so all things would be equal on both sets.

I actually forgot to note the frame times when I took the photos of the Sammy, so when I got home to take the photos of the Toshiba, I had to fiddle about to try and get the picture in the same position – but I wasn’t 100% successful as you will probably see – but at least it gives some sought of comparison I suppose.

I haven’t altered anything on the photos – all that’s been done is the image size has been adjusted to fit on these forums.

To be honest the Toshiba does have a slight edge on the sharpness side, but there’s really not that much in it – but take a look and make your own conclusions! :smashin:

Attached Files:

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    Soni :hiya:

The tosh looks flat in comparason to the samsung. The samsung seems to have far more depth than the tosh. [​IMG]

The flat looking picture was one of the first things I noticed when I saw the Tosh for the first time. I thought it was a plasma. :suicide: :eek:

Also the colour settings are slightly different too, this is probably down to the setup. :rolleyes:

Good pics mate [​IMG]

3. Lion

Lion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    some of the difference could just be the gloss finish screen on the samsung,
    the picture looks just just like my LG :devil:

4. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well, i did read on these forums a little while back about a review that said the Toshiba just didn't give that WOW factor, and i believe the Sammy came out on top followed by the Optoma RD50 :)

5. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    In that case the Sammy is going-going-going :devil: :D

P.S. I didn't realise you had a stutter Lion! :eek:

6. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    hi soni :hiya: - I hope you don't mind but I've taken some more pictures of the Samsung in an "at home" setting as I noticed that your Toshiba was at home and the Samsung shots were instore.

I don't have The Day After Tomorrow so I've only used Gladiator but I've tried to use the same scenes. I started off with the Tosh vs. Sammy comparison but then quickly decided to include the full range of upscaled resolutions and NTSC vs PAL so people could see the difference.

Also after I'd taken the photos I noticed that some were blurred but I've kept them in also because this too illustrates an important point about how difficult it is to take a decent picture of these screens and how easily a slight movement by you or one step to far when pausing can totally transform an otherwise detailed image (look at the 1080i images below).

My point is that pictures are nice and they give a general warm (or cold) feeling about a TV's capabilities but they hardly ever come close to reproducing the actual image you see on screen and so can't be used to really compare things like sharpness but they are fun so hopefully these will be a positive addition to the debate.

I have the first region 1 release of Gladiator in NTSC playing on my Samsung HD850 via HDMI using a £40 Profigold cable.

I'll start with Gladiator Scene 1 in Cinema Mode with DNIe switched ON, DNR Off, Contrast 85, Brightness 57, Colour 50 (Green 0) at native 480p and upscaled to 720p and 1080i (NTSC) and 576p (PAL).

Suprisingly in this first set PAL 576p comes out on top I think and 720p/1080i add nothing.

Cheers
    KableMan

Attached Files:

7. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Scene 2 :)

Attached Files:

8. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Scene 3 :D

720p is blurred - same image paused but a little camera shake and the whole image goes to pot!

Attached Files:

9. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I thought I'd throw in a nice lady close up :D

PAL 576p is best again :confused:

Attached Files:

10. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,275
    Nice pics :) .

I think the Pal image looks best in most of the examples...but what do I know :confused:

Now when you get round to it, some more IF3 please :hiya: ;)

11. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Finally I thought I'd include some Sammy specific Tweaks

Cinema Mode (the 480p again) followed by DNIe Switched Off (much softer), Dynamic Mode (yuk! obviously aimed at in-store glarring lights) and Standard Mode. This is why I prefer Cinema Mode.

Hope you liked the pictures and I hope it adds value to the debate :thumbsup:

I found that:

1) None of these images come even remotely close to the TV pictures I was photographying for clarity, colour or sharpness.

2) An unsteady hand can ruin a good photo - and if I hadn't included the resolution text in some of the pictures you probably wouldn't have noticed that the image was slightly blurred - you'd have thought the image was just too soft.

3) Upscaling is ok but often the native resolution is still better. But this might be my Samsung HD850's fault?

4) The difference between upscaled resolutions is slight or indistinguishable.

5) PAL 576p rocks and even works better with NTSC DVDs! Still :confused:

6) I think the at home setup is better than the in-store feed - I prefer the colour tones.

7) I'm sick of Gladiator :suicide:

soni - thanks for your comparisons they would have really helped me back when I was trying to decide between the Samsung and Toshiba and I think the difference based on these photos and allowing for my findings is slight between the TV's in the sharpness department and I think I'd still have gone for the Sammy :smashin:

Cheers
    KableMan

EDIT: It won't let me re-load the 480p pic so you'll have to look back for it - but my contrast turning DNIe off greatly softens the image.

Attached Files:

12. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :hiya: Kableman

Feel free to post whatever pictures you like mate :smashin:

I've actually tried to take some pictures of mine the other evening but i either had to take it with the flash on and then end up with a really brightly lit screen, or the flash off and a blurred image :confused:

You are right - it isn't easy taking photos of these sets! Any recommendations? Maybe Elephant Man can shead some light on this? As i remember him cracking us all up with his first pictures of his Tosh - he had me as well as others i would have thought, in absolute stitches - where did that thread go - i could do with a laugh this afternoon whilst im stuck in this office :mad:

Also, Kableman, do you honestly only have your colour set to 50? :confused: Mine is on 75! Maybe, i should reduce it slightly, have you calibrated your set with any of those THX images at the beginning of films? I attempted to but didn't have the 'glasses' that they referred to :mad:

13. tiburs

tiburs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice screens by the way, Thanks !

Is there a possiblility to show the DNIE effect (in/off) using the same set of pics and also the change in output (YUV/HDMI).

14. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi soni - yep colour is only 50 maybe 55 no higher. I arrived at my core settings using the Star Wars THX calibration (thanks razor :hiya: ) and i've kept them ever since.

I took the photos in a semi-darkened room with the lights off sitting on a stool in front of the TV - and I still managed to shake a couple of times!

tiburs - look at the first pciture on the last post and the first picture on the first post - both 480p with DNIe on and off.

I don't use component for DVD anymore - I have my XBOX connected to it with a HD kit. :thumbsup:

Cheers
    KableMan

15. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Kableman, i'll give those settings a try tonight when i get in :smashin:

I know exactly what you mean about the Dynamic mode - its terrible :thumbsdow

As for 576, 720, 1080, i really can't tell the difference and i really mean that - i've sat there for ages looking for differences but haven't managed to notice any, i think it was TYN that said that the different output settings actually alters the picture movement so you won't necessarily notice it on a freeze frame :confused:

16. dvdmike007

dvdmike007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the tosh looks like film and the sammy looks like video
    i prefer the tosh in these shots but the sammy overall

17. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah the TOSH is the best :lesson:

18. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You must have seen some bloody fine video in your time :cool:

19. dvdmike007

dvdmike007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not vhs, video as in shot digitally not on 35 mm film there is a profound difference

20. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Apologies Bond - i thought you meant VHS :eek: