1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung sp50 to buy or not to buy

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by waterloo, Jun 24, 2005.

1. waterloo

waterloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    i love the sexy look and size of the samsung sp50 and i WANT TO BUY. i have a sony 36in crt and watch most of tv through my sky+ box rgb scart. most of all sky sports football cricket rugby ect dvd twice a week sony dav550. will this set give me the same quality that i get now which i think is ok but maybe its crap to you tec guys.my tvs only 2 years old cost me £2000 but the sammy is looking to sleek to pass by. pros and cons please. plus where to buy do john lewis in oxford street price match with costco i have had the best customer service from john lewis in the past. the 5 years cover is hard to pass by but the price is not. in a nut shell will my sky football look the nuts.ps samsung sp50 on ebay now its £1440 one day to go what do you think.

2. brett0004

brett0004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Waterloo I was in the same boat as you and went ahead and bought a SP50L3H, one word WOW!! You can get too rapt up in these forums, fan noise etc, I havent even heard mine, the worst picture I get now is via my FTA satellite decoder and its composite plug (thats all it has) and it is still bloody great, DVD's via component are fantastic. I cant get home from work quick enough. I am the only one in my family that sees the rainbow effect but the more I watch it the less I see it. Make sure you shop around on price, mine started out at $4999.00 + $375.00 for the 5 year warranty, and ended up at $3500.00 including the warranty.(prices in Australian dollars)

3. waterloo

waterloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    yes these forums make you a bit worried to take the step up rainbow green tints and all that all i want to do is watch sky sports on a big screen at this time but later on hdtv is where its at. do you get it

4. brett0004

brett0004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No I dont get HDTV as I live and work in remote Australia (about 1400klms from Perth) and all our transmissions are via satellite. Take the plunge and go for it, if you lived by all the info on forums you would spend all day wrapped in cotton wool in bed. :) :)

5. waterloo

waterloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    yes you are right just got dvd in my car took me 6 months because of liserning to all the tec stuff on the forum maybe i will do it its just the cost and i will need to sell my old set first looks like its over to ebay then

6. waterloo

waterloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    any more info where to buy this set or pros and cons with sky rgb set up ???????? samsung £1491 on ebay now would you buy!!!

7. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Waterloo

No need to worry there are plenty of friendly members to help you out if you get stuck.

:thumbsup:

8. waterloo

waterloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    thanks but will i be getting a bigger and better picture with this set as £2000 is a lot of money

9. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Sorry mate you have lost me????? :confused:

10. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Hi Waterloo :hiya:

The sammy is definitely one good looking tv. As for PQ, i would rather have my sammy than a crt any day. Yes on poor quality feeds the pic isnt brill but its watchable. Put on Sky and the PQ is very good, F1 and Rallying look brill on it, football isnt bad either(not into football), with dvd through an hdmi the PQ is absolutely superb, makes watching stuff even more enjoyable. Xbox is brill to. I cant fault this set at all, it exceeded all my expectations.
    I was a bit wary after reading things on forums, its too easy to make more out of negative feedback. I decided to just go buy it after getting a bit of good advice from one of the guys on the forum, "Stop worrying about the things that could go wrong, buy yourself your dream set and enjoy it". Never been happier. :D

11. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    We had a 100Hz CRT television for years, and now have an SP50 (having been through a Sagem 50 om the way). I can clearly say that the SP50 feels much better all round (even if the CRT had got a green cast at the end that made us forget just how good the picture was on that when we first saw it). Excellent on component sources and frankly unexpectedly good on ghastly old analogue telly or composite

Cheers

Greg

12. waterloo

waterloo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    thanks when i got my sony 36in 100hz tv the pq was wicked so much better than my old 28in sony so i am hopeing the same applies here with the sammy sp50 as i have not had dlp yet and in the stores the picture looks crap is this just the analogue feed that the shops have

13. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Hi Waterloo :hiya:

Its just the crappy feeds the shops have, they dont do this set any justice. I got them to set up a dvd connected with component and took a few of my dvds with me and tinkered with the settings. The PQ is excellent and i couldnt be happier. Have fun demoing. :smashin:

14. citrac

citrac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am very tempted to buy one of these but i dont know what to do with the kit. DVd/amp etc, especially the center speaker of my proposed 6.1 set up?

15. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya:

Depends on the size of the centre speaker, if its not too big you could sit it in the front of the pedestal in the middle, a few of us have done this. Have you got your speakers yet?, if not then there are lots of fairly small but very good speakers out there. :smashin:

16. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Mount it on a bracket above the display :rolleyes:

17. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    This is one thing that is putting me off this set. Where do I put my centre speaker. Don't want it above the display (no wall - and too high anyway) and don't want it sitting on a stand iin the middle of the floor.

:confused:

18. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

:hiya: Pauley
    This part of the samsung design puts alot of people off buying this set. There is a newer 50' set that has no stand so this wont be a problem. Have a look on the US sites and be prepared to see loads more DLP sets. The 50' samsung is there without a built in stand. :thumbsup:

19. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    :hiya: Razor

Though on the other hand you don't have to think about buying a tv stand because it's already there (& included in the price) ! :D

Though there's still the issue about arranging your gear :(

You mentioned something about glass stands in this thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223500 :D

20. leeboy2k3

leeboy2k3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Whilst I understand your problem about the stand.. blinkin sellotape a centre speaker to it if you have to! trust me you need this tv, through hdmi or component your eyes will be cryin opal fruits within 5 minutes :D keep the contrast at 70 or below mate, and you'll be over the rainbow not in it.
    put simply it rocks!

21. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya: Leeboy2k3

Glad your enjoying your set, well worth the wait im sure you'll agree. :smashin:

22. leeboy2k3

leeboy2k3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Too right mate, I cant get over the colour thru component :D only miner niggle is that hdmi is so clear, dvd's have to be a bit special not to show flaws, nothing less than a gleaming print and at least 5mbps bit rate! :eek:

23. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Crying opal fruits..... starburst more like ! :D

You mention that hooking-up to component gives excellent results. Does this mean that it's a different kettle of fish with scart-to-scart connection?

I ask because digital terrestrial & digital satellite (not Sky) would be connected via scart.

Why does it say in the instructions for the tv to connect satellite receiver to VCR & then VCR to tv set if you are wanting to connect both items to the set :confused:

The instructions also tell you to connect a satellite receiver via RCA cables or coax cable. There is no mention of scart - obviously it can also be connected via scart :confused:

24. leeboy2k3

leeboy2k3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    rgb scart should be fine no matter whether its dvb or sky, only thing is when you get used to progressive scan whether it be dvd pc or xbox, interlaced tv etc just loks so soft and out of focus and thats no criticism of the tv.

25. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya:

I have my sky connected with an IXOS scart and the PQ is very good, but as leeboy said through component or hdmi is just superb, if i watch a few dvds and then go back to sky it is a bit of a come down but its still very good. :smashin:

26. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    :hiya: br14n

I don't mean to go :offtopic: but I just wanted to ask if similar results should/would also be apparent with the Sagem HD-D45, ie. excellent pic with component & of course DVI, but a softer picture with a scart connection ?

27. leeboy2k3

leeboy2k3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yep same will apply to all non progressive feeds, its also the same with lcd front or rear pj's.

28. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    So basically I would only be crying 'starburst' :D if I connected a DVD player with progressive scan to component input.

Though I wouldn't be totally disappointed with a non-progressive DVD player connected via component & would the results be more or less the same as via scart :confused:

Think I'll just end up sticking with the 21" CRT tv after all this :eek: !

29. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498

Just input the dvd player on a comp-i and the display will produce a progressive picture for you. If you input comp-p then the dvd player will do the scalling to get a progressive picture therefore by passing the displays scaller.

I have a non progressive dvd player connected via comp-i and the picture is very good.

:lease: dont stick to the 21' there is no need. :smashin:

30. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya: J80FAB

Have just tried my dvd player using my IXOS scart off my sky and i have to say whilst not as good as component or hdmi it was very good indeed. If i hadnt used component or hdmi then i would be very pleased with the scart PQ. The tv still works some of its magic and produces a very goo, clean picture.
    You can get a half decent hdmi dvd player by samsung for under £100 and then your eyes would be crying starbursts but the scart PQ is more than acceptable.