1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung SP50 Picture Problems

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Questura, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Questura

Questura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've looked through the majority of threads within this topic and can't find anything regarding my problem with the Sammy SP50.

When watching the Sky picture through the component scart, the picture on certain channels starts to go ever so slightly fuzzy. I first noticed it when watching Sky News because the ticker bar at the bottom of the screen was broken up a little - however when I pressed the Sky button that brings up the channel menu at the bottom of the screen the picture pulls itself back together. I then started to notice it on more channels but put it down to the different broadcast pictures and signals.

However, I have since noticed it on my XBox picture and I'm assuming its the TV struggling to upscale or do some sort of conversion. I have not noticed it on DVD sources.

Has anybody else noticed or experienced this before I call out an engineer? :)

2. DLPMaybe

DLPMaybe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Long shot...

Are you prsssing the TV button on the sky remote? If you do this it changes the output of the sky box. Pressing the sky button would then change the output back.

3. Questura

Questura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi DLPMaybe

Unfortunately not. I'm beginning to think it is an interlacing or progressive scanning problem but was initially thinking it was a fault with the TV or a problem with the the current digital Sky quality.

The only reason I raised it was because of my noticing it on the XBox source which was both unexpected and quite annoying. It doesn't happen continuously but intermittently. With Sky I can correct the problem by pressing the select button on the Sky remote (quite frequently now though) but with the Xbox it happens willy-nilly.

As far as Sky is concerned it generally appears on live broadcasts - does this have a bearing?

I'm going to play around with the settings tonight and maybe upgrade my cables - but if anybody else out there has had this kind of thing happen it would seriously put my mind at rest.

Thanks all

4. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    :hiya: Questra

Somewhere in a previous thread somebody mentioned that this was also happening to them on some of their Sky channels.

It could be the quality of your leads & the individual connectors on a scart lead suffering from some sort of 'interference' which may be causing this. :confused: Or it may even be a combination of the particular Sky box you have & the leads..... things are never straight forward ! :(

:lesson: Perhaps it may be a good idea to start a thread requesting suggestions for cables from other members who have AV equipment connected to their SP50L7HX. :D

However don't go too mad on buying really expensive cables ! :D

I've read stuff about fully wired scart cables causing various problems when connected to different equipment. For example some satellite decoders (not necessarily Sky Digi boxes) use the other scart pins not required for audio & video for other signalling, etc. which can cause problems when connected to other certain AV gear :rolleyes:

The info I read basically recommended that partially wired scart cables which provide basic connections only for audio & video, the 'I'm here' connection, ie. when you switch on your STB the TV automatically tunes into the AV channel & ground, should be used.

Of course you can look for a partially wired cable or even perhaps snip the unrequired connections from a fully wired one if you know what you are doing ! There's also the option of having ones custom made I guess :D

5. JazzG

JazzG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I got the same fuzzy picture on Sky sports news, the side parts where there is text looked very fuzzy. I have since used a better quality scart cable (from cable universe, premium ones that cost £8.11 I think) and it is much better. Also go into picture setting on your sky and set something from PAL to RGB(sorry can't remember off hand what it is) this made a difference as well. Picture seems more sharper now, it is a bit fuzzy in some places but I can live with that as I'm not that fussy!

Hope that helps.

6. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,432
    :hiya:

I would recomend IXOS cables. :thumbsup:

Cables are the weakest link between equipment. If you have spent allot of money on a good display it is important to use good cables. Just as expensive speakers would show up any imperfections in a cheap amp, source material. or leads. So does a good display.
    The reason the why the expensive speakers show up these faults is because it has a wider range and picks up sounds/interference you wouldn't otherwise hear with cheap speakers. The same is true with the samsung.

The samsung SP50 must of cost around £,2000-00, spending around £40-£50 on a lead isn't too much IMO. I have spent well over £1,000-00 on leads. There is no point going for an excellant display if your not using it to its potential. The difference you get in using good sheilded leads is huge.

Jazz G
    £8.11 on a lead :eek: :nono:

(J80FAB :hiya: )

7. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70

:hiya: JazzG

:lesson: Yes, the opposite of the RGB setting is usuall something referred to as 'composite' or CVBS.

I can confirm that my Technomate satellite decoder is set via CVBS & you tend to get a sort of 'fizzing' along borders of text for example. The RGB setting gives a better picture but it is slightly softer. Though in both cases I don't know if the TV (as well as scart leads) may be contributive to these picture qualities. :confused:

8. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    :hiya: Razor

I know what you mean about buying good leads :D

Though for me personally if I had to buy 3 scart leads costing £50 each I could not bear to part with that sort of cash just for a 1 metre length of cable !!!

I know you can spend loads on AV gear but I simply cannot justify that sort of money for a cable/lead. Of course I would try not to go for the cheapest of cables :D

However, I have though just purchased a new higher-spec terrestrial aerial & ordered 50 metres :eek: (probably will hang myself in the loft with the rest of it !) of recommended double shielded coax cable as the current coax is about 30 years old and poo & the aerial is a bog standard 'contact job' type. This setup really needs to be upgraded as terrestrial transmissions are not good & frequent blocking does occur on digital terrestrial :(

And basically if we get a Sammy SP50 then I could not live with paying so much for the tv & having it connected to a crappy aerial setup :rolleyes: :suicide:

Ebay is a good place to have a look if you are wanting top-notch cables & leads at a decent price, but it's always best to check the retail price to make sure that you are actually going to save some money :smashin:

9. Questura

Questura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I changed the Sky setup from PAL to RGB last night and the problem seemed to correct itself.

I also made sure my cables were not touching each other, turned up the brightness, and finally switched the film mode off. I now have a much clearer picture on Sky.

Haven't tried using the Xbox yet but will test that tonight, after a trip to Maplin's for a set of Monster cables.

Thanks all for your time and answers - you are a swell group of guys who are supportive to all.

BTW - any of you thinking of going for the Samsung (besides the problems posted on here) will be getting a damn fine TV. The vast majority of us who have the SP50 for a while are a little bit anal when it comes to searching for imperfections. :smashin:

10. skip

skip
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    razor, he spent £8.11 on a lead so it left him £1.89 to spend on a few boxes of crunchy nut flakes :) :smashin:

11. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,432

Monster cables are terrible stir clear at all costs. Its a bit like saying a 2.0L maestro with spoilers on is a sports car. :eek:

Skip :hiya:

Fair coment you have to get the crunchy nut corn flakes in. :rotfl: :D I ran out last night :(