1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung SP50 picture delay?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by BLZB0B, Aug 6, 2005.

1. BLZB0B

BLZB0B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've had my sammy SP50L7 for nearly two weeks now and am so far VERY happy with it...

One problem I did see this evening whilst watching a DVD with the sound thru the surround system, was that the picture seemed to be nearly 1/2 a second behind the sound..

I tried switching off all the digital picture gizmos like DNiE and NR, thinking that the processing was delaying the display, to no avail..

Whilst the wife was playing one of her karaoke games on the PS2, a significant delay is also noticed with the sound if played through the sammy - which seems to show that there is a delay on both picture and sound between the input and the screen/speakers.

Has anyone else had this problem? does anyone know a fix before I phone samsung?

Regards

Phil

2. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :hiya: BLZBOB

I've got the Denon 3802 Amp, and it has the option to alter the delay time, don't know if you've got that option on yours, but it will be in the setup menu of the Amp if you have.

3. BLZB0B

BLZB0B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Soni,

I'm not sure that that is the solution though, the lounge isn't of the size that would warrant setting up delays etc.

:confused: Stranger and Stranger...

Whilst I was posting the original thread, the wife switched off the TV.. 30minutes later we went back to watch another film, the sound this time was perfectly in sync!

I'll try a couple of tests tomorrow- either the film is dodgy (rental dvd) or some button on the DVD remote had been sat on or maybe even a bug with the sammy that shows up after being switched on for several hours.

Regards

Phil

4. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +496
    It's not a matter of room size, it's the fact that due to it being natively a hidef res set it has to do a fair amount of processing on the video signal to convert a standard def picture into something it can display. As no processing is required on the audio it will often arrive at the speakers slightly ahead of what the pictures do. To compensate for this many A/V amps have a global delay setting, and even some DVD players do. Something like 40ms is usually about right. If neither your amp or your DVD player has these settings you can buy stand-alone sound delay boxes, but they only work on a digital stream, not analogue, and are quite pricey. £140 or there abouts.

Having said all that, there are poorly mastered DVDs about that have problems getting sound synced up. And don't even mention Sky where many of the channels are all over the place, and no amount of tweaking at your end will ever fix.

Regards

Mark

5. Rezillo

Rezillo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    On my Sagem I had to set the delay to around 90ms. It's easy enough to do if the set has its own speakers - have both the amp and TV's own audio on at the same time with speech from the centre speaker (the set's own audio should compensate for the processing delay and should be in sync) and adjust the amp delay until the out of phase station-announcer-type effect goes away (note that this is a global setting and separate from the delays than can be adjusted for speaker distance).

The Sagem has a spdif in and out to adjust this automatically but doesn't work with my system.

John

6. BLZB0B

BLZB0B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

The thing I couldn't get my head round is that in 99% of cases, the sync is there... it seems to be just the one film we watched.

usually, whether it's from the dvd or PVR, sync is there (both via optical link to amp) - on this one occasion, the sync was way out - I'm gonna put this down to dodgy master (even though it's a new release - "White Noise") or the wife pressing buttons on the DVD remote when I'm not looking..

I've not been able to re-create the problem (the disc went back to the shop before I could try)

Regards

Phil

7. Scoob

Scoob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It'll be the source. Played a DVD the other night (Undead - great zombie film!) and on the optional 5.1 sound there must have been a good 1second delay. Was fine on the default stereo option so it's the DVD that's the problem.