1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung SP50 Judder

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by BillyTheDad, Sep 2, 2005.

1. BillyTheDad

BillyTheDad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my SP50 for a few months now and I am still experiencing a judder on the screen when watching Sky. I had originally thought that this would would settle with time but does not appear to have done so.

It is only really noticeable with text boxes on the screen i.e. on Sky Sports and Sky news etc.. I have it connected via RGB Scart and both tv and Sky+ box are set to this.

Does anyone have this problem too? Does anyone have a solution or do I have a faulty set?

Help please!! :lease:

2. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I don't subscribe to the Sports, or the News Channels, but if anything else causes the problems that i can check let me know and i'll have a look - but i must admit i've never noticed anything so far.

3. DLPMaybe

DLPMaybe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I can't say anything that will help resolve the problem but can confirm that I do not see a judder on these channels with the same setup. I recall somebody complaining about this problem months ago. I think they had to have a repair. Might be worth doing a search way back...

4. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya:

No problems on my sky with the banners, whats the contrast set at in your sky menu, if its on high it may cause a judder, ive got mine on medium, what settings are you using in general?

5. Tone

Tone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I finally bought my Sammy 2 weeks ago. I also have the 'judder' on sky text and graphics. There does not appear to be any judder on normal broadcasts, just banners and text. My contrast on Sky+ is set at medium also. Tried different scarts but same problem. Strange nobody else has this issue though.

6. supaveg

supaveg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't panic. It's apparently a design feature. Oh yes...

Went into Comet in Leeds (Crown Point) this week to have a look at the SP46L6. True to form, it was superbly set up using the best coax cable they could find to link it to their only DVD player. Apparently the VHS player they usually use to demo it had broken. Anyway, I stood back and was trying to compare it with the Sagem (tricky, as the Sagem was hooked up to a HD feed). Every time the DVD looped back to the Comet logo (ie a still, text image) there was a definite judder. I asked the sales muppet why it was juddering, and was told that "it's to prevent screen burn". I pointed out that DLP's didn't get screen burn, but was told I was wrong, and that the judder was the best way to eliminate it. So now you know. Brilliant, eh? Wondered if anyone had ever asked Comet whether they have Professional Indemnity Insurance ;)

Odd though, different model, different DLP chip, same problem.

7. sprattgraham

sprattgraham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    You where correct you don't get screen burn on Rear Projection.
    How can the people in Comet think you can burn an image onto mirrors?

I have the HD-D45 and the image does not judder, when I go into the TV Guide on NTL the text is still. When I had Sky there was movement on their TV Guide.

8. supaveg

supaveg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry - might have been a bit ambiguous. The judder was on the Sammy, not the Sagem :smashin:

9. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Screen Burn? :eek: ? I love it - Thats absolutely fantastic!!!!!!! :D :rotfl: :rotfl: :smashin:

10. showcase

showcase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D next time in comet, ask what the black borders are for on any dlp set that is not set up propery, shull we guess what their reply might be.... "sir its like a picture frame, hmmm u nw the ones u get on borded photos"

sorry peeps who might find it offence.. but everytime i go into comet, currys etc i just end up laughing :D how hard they try to sell u stuff and come up with bull s**t to sell it..... :rolleyes:

the other week in to currys, and was looking at dlp's, i am thinking of getting sagem 56 (which they did not have), oh sorry razor, i forgot, when the room is done, i am going to toss a coin to determine if i should go for a sagem 56" or rd65... anyway was just looking and a curry guy come up to me and just started to chat how good they were... i said i nw nothing about dlp's, he said its future proof, i said when untill, he said this is the future technology!!! so i said why is the pic not good then... his reply its not set up correctly!! i said so can u set it up correctly, he said its new and we are learning this new technlogy and he will soon set it up, after going on training course, :D, i just could not help it, i started to laugh..... the poor guy walked away looking at me in a weird way..... :rotfl:

thought might as well share my experiance

11. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ha ha ......... :rotfl:

12. BillyTheDad

BillyTheDad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sky+ contrast is set to medium. The rest of my settings are as follows...

TV Picture Mode - Standard
    Colour Tone - Normal
    Size - 16:9
    Digital Nr - on
    DNIe - on
    Flim Mode - on

i have tried various combinations but the judder remains. The one thing I haven't tried yet though is changing the scart lead. Could it be this, the one i have is from comet costing about £60.

13. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya:

I dont have any judder on mine, i dont have the DigitalNR on or the film mode on, have you tried it with these off. The NR can actually make the pic worse i found so i leave it off permanently.

14. BillyTheDad

BillyTheDad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that.

Another thing I notice is when watching footie, sometimes the picture goes all pixely/blocky for a while and almost looks like it's in slow motion. Then it will suddenly be fine.

Does anyone else get this or once again do i have a dodgy set. If I do, i have the problem of getting it back to Costco, which means hiring a van again as the don't send out engineers.

15. koho1960

koho1960

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Billy

Id be interested to know if you got the judder problem sorted.
    I have just taken delivery of my 3rd Sammy. All have had the same problem.
    I can see the judder all the time just more noticable when a banner is on or sky sports news ETC. Iv invested in a qed scart hoping this would solve the problem but its made no difference, I also see the "white spot" on the screen when the TV is off.
    The salesman in currys told me the TV is faulty.
    We are now expecting our 4th set.... which will be the the 4th one in 2 weeks.
    How long will they keep replacing them ?
    Should I just ask for my money back.?

16. BillyTheDad

BillyTheDad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, I haven't bothered to get it done yet as I got it from Costco and they don't pick up so I would have to hire a van and cart it over there. Plus my living room is on the 1st floor of my house and the tv only just fit up the stairs in the first place.

I can only really notice on the news and sports channels. I'm wondering if is actually my sky+ that is faulty and not the TV. I don't see it on text boxes on normal tv through my ariel. I'll wait and see what happens when HD Sky comes out. If it's still the same then I'll take it back. Plus they'll probably cheaper/better by then and Costco have a no quibble refund policy so it may do me a favour to wait.

17. spadge

spadge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my sp50 is doing the judder as well its really bad on 480p with denon 1920 dvd player and modded xbox with hi def pack doesnt seem to do it with 720p/1080i which is weird i was going to ask for a replacement but the last week ive seen lots of people with the same problems think i might go for the new 52"lg its cheaper and bigger only probs is not many reviews for this set.PS samsung aftersales are crap 48hrs for reply from them and all i got was have u got the right scart plug in go figure

18. nm10721

nm10721
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I see a slight judder on the scrolling bar on Sky sports news and when you bring the small sky osd up, can't say its really much of a problem though, this set is fantastic.