1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung sp50 as HDTV monitor using HTPC

Discussion in 'TVs' started by tim k, May 12, 2005.

1. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Awaiting delivery and plan to connect it to my htpc (3.0gig p4 with 6800gt) am i correct in saying i will need a dvi-hdmi cable to connect, i need to find out the best way to set the resolution for the second output (already have phillips 17" lcd), i have heard that i may have overscan, is it not possible to fill the sammy screen at the correct resolution as well as the lcd. Also any good places to buy a good quality 5m hdmi-dvi cable?

2. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    yes u need a dvi to hdmi cable. that cable link is fine. The sammy i believe does have a little more overscan that other dlps but it doesnt really bother me. i havent tried messing around with my settings as im happy. just make sure u download a load of hi def demos and get ready to be blown away :thumbsup:

4. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
  5. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats great, excellent bit of info kableman. I have my lcd monitor which natives resolution is 1280X768 @ 60hz. Will it be possible to follow your setup guidelines and keep the lcd at native?? Also did you find out whether the resolution you state is standard 720p for hi def? The only real reason i am using this is for downloaded hd stuff atm.

6. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi tim - yes you will be able to keep your LCD's resolution - I often have 1024x768 setup on my 17" CRT while connected to the TV at 1280x720 (I use extended desktop - I think you can also have clone displays setup but at different resolutions) and yes it is standard 720p and perfect for Hi-Def. I've played lots of Hi-Def demos from my PC at 720p and 1080i - the SP50 supports both and I believe it will automatically scale accordingly - the images look superb and crystal clear :thumbsup:

Also powerstrip allows you to setup lots of display profiles and it seems to automatically apply the correct one when connected to the TV or CRT. If not you simply select the appropriate profile and bob's your uncle :smashin: