1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung sp50 anyone had rainbow effect?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by tim k, May 15, 2005.

1. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Awaiting delivery, and although i say for 5 mins at comet to test i am now a little paranoid ive spent 1750 on a tv thatll make me feek sick! so anyone received any symptoms?

2. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya:

Ive had an sp50 for 3-4wks now and thankfully ive only seen the rainbow effect twice. The first time i was actually trying to see it by shaking my head, etc. The 2nd time i seen it was watching Blade Trinity. I can live with that though as ive prob had the tv on excessive amounts with being on hol and to only have seen it twice i cant complain. My dad came round to see it, he must be well sensitive to rainbows as hew seen loads when it was changing from dark to bright images. Watch loads of dark dvds and you'll soon find out how sensitive you are, hopefully you wont be. :thumbsup:

3. vee6

vee6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    1750 quid !??!!? prey tell .. i'm just about to part with £1982

4. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi tim - I see rainbows and can very easily make them appear. However I have seen less on the Samsung compared with the Toshiba DLP. Its odd because some programmes and movies I don't see any and even in dark scenes when I'd expect to see them I don't but now and then I see the odd little flash. Even though I see them quite regularly I find if I don't try to see them they don't distract me and eventually if I get into whatever i'm watching I completely forget about them.

Initially when you get the TV you'll be watching lots of DVDs that you've seen before and comparing quality and playing with settings - if you see rainbows you'll notice them much more during this period. If you do see them try to chill out over it and don't go searching for them. As you start watching new material you'll probably not notice them very much as you get wrapped up in the movie. This is what's happened to me.

Also I don't move around as much or dart my eyes about - which in reality you don't do anyway when watching films - and so I see far less. Now I only see them if the images actually produce them rather than me causing them due to eye or head movement.

I've not suffered with headaches or eye strain so far - so I'm hoping that although I see them they are not bad enough to cause me discomfort. I've also read that you can become more accustomed to them over time and they can reduce. My wife hardly sees them at all.

So far the sheer joy of watching this TV has far outweighed the rainbow effect - for me that is. It will be different for others.

Cheers
    KableMan

5. -TYN-

-TYN-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Thats a good point Kableman, I am also glad to see you Dlp experience now has a happy outcome. :)

Also did you find the same about the digital vs anologue connections sharpness/washed out issue and/or have you managed to improve it with the use of settings ?

6. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nononononono!! www.pixmania.co.uk has it for 1750, make sure you dont click the warranty (unless you want it for another 100 quid or so).

7. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hey TYN :hiya: Compared to the digital connection the analogue are softer but still very sharp compared to my previous TV and CRT and not at all washed out. I've been very impressed by SD digital and analogue - much better than my previous TV! I've also been very impressed by component which I found to be much more vibrant and sharp than I expected. HDMI is still king however and the PC and my new HD850 look very crisp, bright, colourful and ultra sharp. All round I'm very impressed and very happy so far :thumbsup:

8. CTID

CTID

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Tim, I like kableman can see rainbows for fun. I got rid of an infocus dlp projector as the rainbows on an 8ft screen made me feel v.v. sick. I had a toshiba 52in first of all and the rainbows were very noticable, especially in dark scenes - a quick sidewards glance and there they were! But, with my samsung it is much harder to produce them, but they are still present. They are smaller and in normal viewing hardly noticable. The other important factor is they don't make me feel nauseous like my pj did. And, I am very sensitive to this, so even if you are as sensitive to them as me, you will not have a problem.

BTW, I think there is a study somewhere that shows that sensitiveness to rainbows on a DLP has a positive correlation to performance in bed .......... :)

9. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so i should be ok then as im well lazy

10. vee6

vee6
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    the rainbow effect is very visible and easy to see especially when it comes to contrasting colours, black and white seems the worst