1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung Sp50 and htpc

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Flohan, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Flohan

Flohan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi i am new to these forums and am looking to purchase the samsung Sp50, I have read lots of peoples views on this and it seems to be the best choice in terms of what i want.

I have noticed a few people are running htpc's, is this a better choice then seperate equiment?

2. DLPMaybe

DLPMaybe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I have the SP50 and a HTPC. I love the combination.

For DVD's the quality of image I get cannot be compared to that I was getting from a DVD player. Running theatertek and ffdshow creates a fantastic picture. I sometimes watch parts of DVD's from my player to remind myself of the difference :D

Next thing I like is the ability to put all your media behind a gui front end. I use Xlobby with a pronto to control it. Movies, pictures, music all at the click of the remote.

Last thing is playing PC games on the 50" screen. Wow.

The downside is that it does take some effort to set it all up. I probably spend as much time tweaking the setup as I do watching things!

3. Flohan

Flohan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, this may sound like a silly question but if you run your sound through the htpc do you still need an amp?

Also would about £600.00 be enough to spend on a htpc

4. DLPMaybe

DLPMaybe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    The amp is the simplest route. This is the one I have taken as I already owned an amp. The motherboard I bought has a spdif out. That is used to connect the PC to the amp. The amp then does all the decoding of the sound and sending of signal to the appropriate speaker.

You can get a soundcard that will decode the sound and has the individual outputs per speaker. But I think these sound cards require powered speakers. Or you need to send the separated signal to an amplifier which kind of defeats the purpose anyway. This is the extend of my knowledge on that route. I would suggest posting this question in the following forum:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46

I think you could get a HTPC for £600 as long as you are disciplined. My original plan was to spend around that figure but ended up around the £1000 mark.

5. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I mulled over making my own for ages and added the cost of all the components (casing, power and heatsink, processor, memory, graphics, sound, dvdr etc and then the cost of extra components (Keybd/mouse etc, sockets for sp/dif, various additional audio and video inputs/outputs to act as a true amp and video centre, plus finally wireless internet connection) :eek: and I could not get close to £600. :mad:
    In the end, PC World are selling what is close to the highest current spec :smashin: with a custom made cabinet that is truly AV based with all the benefits of both PC and AV and it costs £999 (I bet now that I have bought mine, it will come down to $899 next week!!!):(
    Take at look at the link and see if like me, you can't be bothered any more to make your own.:cool:
    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0495860653.1125938232@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccfaddfimfhddjcflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&page=Product&sku=984209&category_oid=-15247&fm=undefined&sm=undefined&tm=undefined

Cheers:hiya:

6. DLPMaybe

DLPMaybe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I saw the advent when I was searching. Was very tempted but it just did not meet my needs. The main area was hard drives for DVD storage. I have room for over 5 hard drives in my case. I do not have wired network in the house so need the storage in the HTPC rather than a hidden server. If I did not have that requirement I think the advent would be sitting in my hifi rack right now:)

7. Flohan

Flohan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that guys, but here's another question for you can you scale computer game if using a htpc and component leads for a gamecube and ps2?
    sorry if this is a bit of a dumb question because i really don't know anything about htpcs.