1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung - SP46L6HXX for £999.00

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by packmanuk, Jul 4, 2005.

1. packmanuk

packmanuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I see that macro will have this set for £999 from Wednesday. I am looking into getting one and wondered what else i'll need to get the best results - cables etc. Also to play dvd's in hd on this television will I need a hd dvd player or will a regular dvd player be ok ? Is this set fully hd ready for when sky changes over in the autumn ? Finally do people consider this to be a good hdtv and good value ?

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    :hiya:

The £999 price is plus vat. Always use good cables such as ixos, they will cost around £40+ each. Stay clear of Monster as they are ment to be very poor. The cable is the weakest link in a system so the better the cable the better the results.

As for HD DVD players they are not availible yet but you can get a dvd player that will upscale to HD resolution but your TV will do that anyway so this feature isn't really needed. Try and get a dvd player with HDMI/DVI as this is the best connection for picture quality.
    As far as I know this set is HDCP enabled so SKY HD and HD-DVD/Blue Ray will work with this set. At this price this set is a steal.

Happy shopping :thumbsup:

3. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya:

As Razor said that price is an absolute steal, Samsung seem to be doing really well in the DLP market so i dont think you'll be able to fault the performance of this set. If you dont want to spend too much for a dvd player especially with hd dvd and blueray on the horizon then try the samsung range of hdmi pleyers, very good value for money and great PQ. Have a look at the dvd player forum for more info. :smashin:

4. packmanuk

packmanuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've got a dvd/vcr combi but it only has scart input so i guessi'll have to put up with the poorer picture quality on dvd's for a while. I'm a bit worried that this price isn't going to include the stand but i'll have to wait and see.

5. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    A half decent dvd player will set you back around the £100 mark with a dvi/hdmi conection. Theres loads of info in the DVD section of these forums.

Unless your planning to buy a HD/Blue ray player straight away then I would consider one of these. :thumbsup:

If not have you considered conecting up a pc. You will get very good results and you can always install a HD/Blue ray drive when they are availible. Plus you can play WHM HD disc now and enjoy HD a bit earlier than most people. :D

6. mearsy007

mearsy007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Razor, are these discs readily available inthis country yet?

7. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    to get this thread back on topic..... ;) .. i phoned makro in manchester today and they have one in stock, but its sold :thumbsdow . they said i should ring back/ visit the store daily as they are getting stock in daily

8. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    ****, just saw the Makro mail, amazing price!!

9. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    tell me about it!!!!!!!!!!! if im lucky and ring when they have one in stock ..ITS MINE!!!!!!!!! :clap:

10. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    If you ring up, ask about the 50" version, and also ask about the stand, and also exended warranty! Thanks.

11. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    ASH, Im pretty sure that Makro dont do extended warranties. but i will ask about the stand and the 50"er

12. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    Thanks mate! Whats your local branch? It cant be the Charlton one, thats mine, your in Bolton.

13. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    i have two close by.. manchester and preston, so i will try them both

i think that Cyberdaz may be able to shed some light on your queries.. he works at makro

14. packmanuk

packmanuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I don't think the price is going to include the stand. In the mag there are a couple of other tv's and they say including free stand this one doesn't. Hope i'm wrong though.

15. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    it would be nice if the stand was included, but at the price it doesnt really matter (it aint tall enough for my av stuff anyway)

16. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Re. WMV HD discs

Honestly, it's like having to spoon-feed children here :rotfl: :laugh: :rotfl:

Check out Microsoft for WMV HD stuff. There are some sample film clips that can be downloaded. You can also order 'films' on disc, though I think the link on the Microsoft webpage sends you to US version of Amazon.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/content_provider/film/HDVideo.aspx

Alternatively check-out ebay. I've just had a butchers & someone is selling a selection of these films starting at 16,99 Euros (approx. £11.47) each :smashin:

17. phoxxy

phoxxy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also saw this samsung screen in the latest Makro leaflet. Was astonished at the price. Did a quick scan on net for info and reviews. The only place i can find it for sale is either France or Hungary. Strange to say the least. There are also no reviews of this model. Plenty for the L3 series which are all good. Not put off by this I called my local (Norwich) Makro to see if they had any left and they informed me that they had NONE!!! This was just 1 day after the brochure release. Apparently the suppliers never delivered any. I asked if they had any at another store and they said the same thing: Suppliers had not delivered to ANY makros nationwide and wouldnt be EVER !!. This isnt the first time that Makro have done this. Anyone else had the same problem?? Im now stuck between the TOSHIBA 46WM48P for around £1700 in the high st (1350 online) and the THOMSON 50DLY645 which is around £1400. Both of which are considerably higher than the £999+vat that Makro are offering. Is the Samsung an import TV ??? I cant even find it on Samsung.com. HELP HELP :lease:

18. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    Makro are lying, a worker from makro in another thread called cyberadz said he got one from Makro. Norwich branch are BSing.

19. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    there are a few poeple now that have bought these samsung dlps from Makro. i dont think that branch of Makro are being to truthfull

20. NWhiteley

NWhiteley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    i know for a fact that the Preston branch had atleast two in stock when i visited. i would have bought one, but i had earlier seen that the 50" version is now available

21. DGtal

DGtal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Each branch had only between 2 and 6 units, most had either 2 or 4. I managed to get one from my nearest branch but they all went on that day. They are listed on robertsons-online.co.uk both 46" and 50" but they have apparently allocated all their stock and will be ordering more soon.

I set mine up earlier today and can say I'm totally impressed given I'm only able to use a scart lead at the moment for dvd. Fabulous pic. When I get sorted with component and HDMI (next week) I will post my full comments.

22. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
  23. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I think everyone gets the message now Ash, you don't have to keep going on about it. ;)

24. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    LOL sorry. ;)

I still havent managed to get to Makro yet to see this.

25. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    LOL, no probs.

Its' just that it's starting to sound like the "Are we there yet" scenario, especially as you seem to ask the same things on just about every thread you post on.

No offence intended. :thumbsup:

26. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    Yeah, must be becuase I have been looking for a TV for over one month, still torn between Plasma and DLP TRear Pro.

27. DGtal

DGtal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For me there is no competition, this Sammy beats any plasma display I have ever seen (I'm not an expert admittedly, but I have seen a fair few).

I will see if I can post a few pics later today, thing is I've got to move the TV to a different location tomorrow so if not today it will be later in the week after I've got it set up properly. But so far sooo good!

Are there any particular things I need to do to post pics on here?

28. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    Thanks, no rush for pics, we/I can wait.

For pics anything you want really, like showing ff your TV, like your stand, and all your inputs, showing the screen with different pics maybe liek DVD, Sky/NTL, Analogue, Freeview, anything really.

Oh, jsut read your question, just upload to http://imageshack.us/and copy and paste the links.

29. Doylum

Doylum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's a pic from my Sammy - no flash

[​IMG]

30. DGtal

DGtal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm handholding my digital cam and its using a slow shutter speed and introducing a lot of noise to the image so the pics aren't doing justice. Also the setup is using scart so again not doing justice (but not bad!). Here's 1 for now to give a rough idea, but the actual picture I'm seeing on the set is pin sharp and clean. You can see the individual hairs on his beard! Will use my tripod in the week and post more to give a better idea.

You will also need to turn up your monitor's brightness to see properly as the photo is dark, but again this is down to the camera.

[​IMG]