1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung SP46L6HX - Widescreen Problem

Discussion in 'TVs' started by packmanuk, Aug 11, 2005.

1. packmanuk

packmanuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've recently purchased a Samsung SP46L6HX and am very pleased with it. However when i watch a program such as "Lost" I seem to have a problem with losing the edges of the picture. I only notice it when the credits come up but it must be there all of the time. I have set the tv to show in 16.9 mode and have also tried forced widescreen (or whatever its called) but still have this problem. Is there anything I can do or is this normal ?

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    Is your sky box or freeview box set to output 16:9? :D

3. packmanuk

packmanuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Not sure i'll check that out.

4. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Funnily enough, I have this same problem with My 16:9 CRT and my newly purchase Samsung LE26R41BDX. TV is set to wide screen as is Sky but still lose a little off of the left and right in most things. Happens on all my sky boxes, its more difficult to tell from other sources. Anyone got any ideas? - I thought that if a program was showing in a format wider than your screen you would just get black bars and sligthly smaller image so that it fits. This has been bugging me for ages but I keep forgetting to ask about it.

5. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +494
    Either you've got some sort of autozoom set, or your screen is overscanning by a fair whack, and needs resetting.

Regards

Mark

6. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    definately no Auto-Zoom. CRT is about 4yrs old and the sammy is about 4 days old!

Is it possible that some broadcast signals have incorrected aspect ratio info embedded? hence the screen displaying 16:9 when it should be 2:35 or something?

7. packmanuk

packmanuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes my sky was set to 4.3 so i changed it and everythings fine. Thanks for your help.

8. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +494
    Any 2.35 broadcast is actually a letterboxed image inside a 16:9 anamorphic broadcast (which in turn, is a actually a vertically squashed 4:3 broadcast).

As unlikely as it seems, I'd say that if both your Sky box and your displays are set to 16:9, and you're losing stuff off the edges, then the chances are that both displays need their horizontal settings adjusted. 'Course it might be a plan to try another Sky box, if you can, to see that that's not the problem.

Ah, the good old days when you used to have all sorts of knobs to twiddle on the backs of TVs. Pity they don't let us mess with them so easily nowadays.

Regards

Mark