1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung SP46L6HX - Why so excited?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Bluecube, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Bluecube

Bluecube

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Can anyone tell me why everyone is getting so excited over the Samsung SP46L6HX? I've found it impossible to get my hands on any reviews and have been unable to find it in the shops to have a look at it. Is it really that good? Cause I was thinking about getting a Sagem HD45 but if the Samsung is the same or better in terms of pic quality then I'd like to find out a bit more about it!

TIA

2. Ragnarok

Ragnarok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    i guess people are excited because it performs pritty simlarly to the sp50l7xx and it's cheeper than the sagem hd45.

3. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.robertsons-online.co.uk/get_product_details.asp?P=117804

its a great tv, well; all of Samsung's recent DLP's are and i haven't heard of any bad reviews..........it's also damned cheap at only 1200 quid. :smashin: :smashin:

everyone sais Samsung are good and this therefore is good enough for me :smashin:

my guess is they'll also release the 50 and 56 inch versions soon........the 56'' version, is the only real alternative (for me) if the new 1080p 56'' pedestal is too expensive...

if the sp 50 pedestal is about 2000 quid, then the sp 56 1080p will be about 3500; dropping to about 2800 by next summer.......well i hope so :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :mad: :mad:

i'm just hoping it's not 4000 or 4500 quid, that'll be a disaster, because next year i have to double glaze this house too......damn it! :( :(

4. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.robertsons-online.co.uk/get_product_details.asp?P=117803

so this is the 50'' version waiting to be on sale, it's the same style as the SP46L6HX; just in case you're all still confused :rotfl: :rotfl:

but maybe we wont get the 56'' version over here..........but then again, if we're getting the PEDESTAL 56 then why not this one!

now this 50'' is only 1444 quid and it's as good as the SP 50....uuum :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

but as usual, Curry's is too expensive, their 46'' is the same price as Robertson's 50'' :nono:

5. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,511
    Malso find yourself a 0% finance deal and go out and buy a DLP set. You wont regret it.
    :)

6. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'll be getting a loan when i purchase the double glazing....the loan will include the tv too....about 7000 quid

at the moment my downstairs is full of new kitchen units...cardboard boxes etc, you wouldn't believe the amount of space all this stuff takes up..i've got a new washing machine, a new cooker, new sink, new hob.........two 10ft formica work surfaces and 10 base units/door etc.......... i cant even see where my tv is right now :D :D

it's driving me crazy, i come to this forum to escape the mess downstairs. :eek: :eek:

i never knew fitting a kitchen would be so much work, but the biggest pain of all; is all the cardboard....the rubbish outside is about 6 ft high and i'm only about half way through assembly. :mad: :mad: :thumbsdow

this is why i'm fussy about the DLP i purchase, I WANT TO ENJOY MYSELF next year.....but this year is a write-off, its all work, work, work.

7. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and of course i cant buy a huge DLP now can i............where the hell would i put it :D :D :D :D

and i cant do it after the kitchen is finished either.....because the next job is to fit a new carpet downstairs and redo the skirting boards. :smashin:

but i'm considering purchasing the SP50L6HX at about 1400 quid from Roberstons next year, because it's so cheap and i have to take care how much money i'm spending...........i think spending 3000 quid is going a bit crazy :thumbsdow

8. Bluecube

Bluecube

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So does anyone have any links to any reviews of the Samsung?

9. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
  10. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

this dlp is not the same as the SP50L6HX, its another type of dlp; this is the trouble with Samsung, there's too many dlps that all look the same :thumbsdow

this is yet another ........... well i don't know (sigh), i give up trying to find out :rolleyes:

one has to be careful, search only on google U.K pages, otherwise you'll get all these other American sammy versions and it really does mess up your mind :eek: :eek:.........it's information overload.

we're only getting the 56 pedestal 1080 p the sp46 and the sp50....i think :rotfl:

11. mr_sockochris

mr_sockochris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Anyone know when the SP50L6HX is due out? I've got the SP46L6HX on order at Robinsons's, but they say it'll be 1-2+ weeks before they get stock so I'm tempted to swap my order over to the SP50L6HX if it's out anytime soon.

12. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it'll be soon because it's already quoted on sammy u.k, go for the extra 4'' :D..............i'm hoping they bring out the sp56'' too

13. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    What is different? I only see the cablecard stuff, and some minor differences, all easily ignored. The Americans get much more bang for their bucks, and they have more money to spend to start with.

14. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this american one has a slimmer bezel and it's not as deep either (back to front), other than this; it's about the same..........i'd forget about it because it's not due over here anyway.

this new variant is for houses where the space is a tight fit, they say ``it'll fit anywhere``

Samsung seem to release different variations all the time, it's becoming a bit rediculous, if you look on samsung U.S.A there's 3 pages of them; and they all look similar.........this one is on page 3. :eek:

in comparison samsung U.K, is just 3 DLPs :D :thumbsdow

my room is 20ft by 12ft at it's widest dimension, so i can fit up to about 61'' ....but the size i'll eventually choose is governed by price and availability, so it'll either be the SP 50 or maybe the sp 56 (non pedestal)..(if it comes out over here)

but the sp 56 pedestal will probably be way too expensive and 1080p, will for me; be a waste of time, as i'll be mainly on Freeview plus watching the occassional DVD....so what's the point, it's a waste of extra money!

the way i see it, is that the sp 50 or 56 will be way better than the tv i have now....so this is good enough; but 1080p is just being rediculous.

15. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
  16. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks, you're right, it has the HD2 chip. Like Malso said: It is hard to see which is which with all these similar looking models from Samsung. It is frustrating that we are starting to run seriously behind at this side of the ocean.

17. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    We're only running about 2-3 months behind the US at the moment with the Samsung DLP releases. AFAIK, the HLR4667W was released in May in the US, and the SP46L6HX was released in July in the UK. So, if these are equivalent models, we're not that far behind the US.

18. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    From other sources I heard months ago that 1080p will not be released over here for quite some time. I hope and pray that the new Samsung models will hit our market soon and prices will remain or drop. ;)

19. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

but why worry about 1080p, because we wont be able to view in proper 1080p for years to come; only by expanding the existing format by wobbalation............(i think) whatever the case, true 1080p wont be transmitted on BBC 1, freeview etc for years to come, you're wasting your money.

at the moment it's all a confusing mess....there are supposed to be ``upscalers`` on the market soon, that increase the resolution; but its all a bit of a botch job.

But our broadcasters aren't anywhere near transmitting in 1080p, it's years away..........( i think), all of this 1080p stuff; needs to be confirmed by an expert, we need somebody on this forum that knows exactly what's going on.

all i can tell you is, that if they're going to ``wobble`` one pixel into 2 and thus try and confuse your eye, you'll notice blurr/ rough edges and maybe colour bleeding...just like a 10 year old monitor screen.............it's all a botch job to me :thumbsdow..i'm not happy about it at all :lesson: :mad:

go for technology that works, get the SP50 (non pedestal) or wait and see if the SP56 (non-pedestal) is comming out soon.

The original SP 50 pedestal will be fine too, but dont forget that the new SP50L6HX is a brand new tv; so it has maybe a slight advantage, and a definite advantage if it comes out in 56'' screen too :D :D

20. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the only problem i can see with this SP46L6HX, is that the area underneath the screen is a bit ugly; it looks too bulky and rather old fashioned...it's a perforated mesh of some kind and it's about 2 inches too deep, it should be painted matt black or dark grey............... but it might look ok in real life.

Attached Files:

21. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    That's NOT a picture of the SP46L6HX. Anyway, they've got to put the light unit, speakers, etc. somewhere. It's designed to look good on the stand, hence the "floating display" description that Samsung give it. When viewed from the front it looks like the screen is just the black-framed bit, and the "ugly" bit at the bottom looks like part of the stand.

22. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Malso, no offence mate but you really need to get your head around which models are which. Because the only thing that's confusing people around here at the moment is you.

23. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it's not my fault that the codes are too similar, i'm glad i'm wrong anyway, because this Sammy looks miles better :rotfl: :rotfl:

in fact, it looks as good as the SP50 pedestal; i just hope the 56'' version is released over here