1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung SP46L6HX - Sound format on HDMI

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Tarbat, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Does anyone know what sound formats the Samsung SP46L6HX will accept on the HDMI interface? There's nothing about this in the owner's manual. I'm wondering what the TV will do with a 5.1 soundtrack from the new Sky+HD box, will it push that through the SRS TruSurroundXT processor in the TV to produce a psuedo surround effect, of just use plain stereo? Has anyone used the HDMI interface on their SP46L6HX yet and seen what sound formats it copes with okay?

2. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Tru Surround will work on any audio source being fed into the set, but only if you select it. If you don't you'll get plain stereo.

Don't lose sleep over it though - Tru Surround is like all other psuedo surround technologies, it's crap! :)

3. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    That's good news - it's just that I thought I'd read somewhere that the SRS option was greyed-out when on an HDMI connection.

It's not that bad really - we've been pretty impressed with it on the Sammy for normal, everyday TV. Still use our Yamaha processor/amp for the big movies though.

4. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Couldn't say for sure without checking the manual, but if it's greyed out then that means the option is bypassed and you will only have vanilla stereo.

5. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Yes, I know, this is a very old thread. But, now that I've got Sky+HD connected to HDMI, I can confirm that SRS-TruSurroundXT does work on the HDMI sound input as well. Sounds very good, obviously not a substitute for a proper DD5.1 amp, but still very good.

Just been watching Independance Day in HiDef, and the opening titles demonstrated excellent sound effects on HDMI with SRSTruSurroundXT turned ON.

6. bones1958

bones1958

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi cjpers,
    A little off topic but as one of the lucky ones so far to have Sky HD installed, can you comment on the PQ on your SP46L6HX ? Have you noticed a big difference from SD to HD ?

Curious because I have the 50" version (SP50L6HX). Most posts in the Sky HD forum refer to LCD or Plasma users, so would be good to have your thoughts on this particular DLP range. I'm guessing PQ will be similar on the 46" as it is on the 50" ?:)

I've been bumped for HD from 27th May to 9th June and the wait is agonising :(

Thanks in advance.

BTW - like yourself I am still constantly astounded by the sound reproduction from my set. When something is being broadcast in basic stereo, I more often than not revert back to the TV sound rather than listening via my Panasonic Home Cinema receiver. Can't fault it for DD 5.1 but it is weak on other formats.