Samsung SP46L6HX - Reflective Screen?

witters

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've not had a chance to demo this yet. Can anyone tell me if it has a dull non-reflective screen as per Toshiba rear pro's?

Not seen a Toshiba switched off, so can't comment on that, but the Samsung is pretty good with dealing with reflected light. I can have lights on in the room without it really affecting the picture.

Thanks for that. Would you recommend it on the whole. My Tosh 42pw23 has just died and I nee a quickish replacement.

The sammy screen has a slightly "speckled" appearance when not in use. It does reflect, but it's a dull, heavily distorted barely-there refelction.

i traded my 42PW23 to the sammy DLD SP50 and can not get over the difference in quality and size.

I managed to sell my 42PW23 for £500 to a friend who was impressed with the quality of the tosh.

However i refused to switch on the Sammy which arrived the morning before my mate took the tosh away as i knew he would not want to buy the tosh if he saw how much better the sammy looked. (told him i had not had the chance to hook it up)

Mt mate has now sold the tosh on and is buying the sammy himself.

If you can afford it get the 50 inch sammy its the best purchase i ever made.

SP46 has my whole hearted recommendation, I have just setup myself a HTPC now for the hi-def content i get from America and its a beautiful sight to behold.
I am also glad to see apart from on windows bootup the use of Hi-def feed Via HDMI albeit the DivX version has almost elimated my problem with rainbows (although maybe its just cause the tv has had some time to 'wear in').

witters said:
Thanks for that. Would you recommend it on the whole. My Tosh 42pw23 has just died and I nee a quickish replacement.
Would recommend it wholeheartedly. Great on HD, but also superb on SD DVDs through component. Best TV I have ever owned and after two and a bit months no issues to report at all.

But make sure you audition the set first - other people's recommendations are all well and good, but you're the one that has to live with it.

Bear in mind that store set-ups of these screens, on most occasions- leave a lot to be desired. If you're fairly "techy", bring along a THX disc and set it up using the Optomizer. HD looks stunning on nearly all DLPs, but make sure if you're planning to watch vanilla DVDs that you test it with these for SD resolution. Check it out on component input - far superior to SCART.

The pauley

Why when watching dark scenes on Digital cable ,does peoples faces look like oil paintings and the background sort of smeared on my SP46? On light scenes the tv is very good. connected via scart rgb, from cable box to video then to TV, is this the best way to set up? DVD set up direct to TV.

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll be sticking an order in for one!

Starfleet said:
The pauley

Why when watching dark scenes on Digital cable ,does peoples faces look like oil paintings and the background sort of smeared on my SP46? On light scenes the tv is very good. connected via scart rgb, from cable box to video then to TV, is this the best way to set up? DVD set up direct to TV.
You have to remember that a lot of broadcast TV is p**s poor, particularly on many digital channels, and that screens of this size and resolution will show up all of these artefacts. Don't blame your screen - it's just presenting what's there - warts and all.

the_pauley said:
You have to remember that a lot of broadcast TV is p**s poor, particularly on many digital channels, and that screens of this size and resolution will show up all of these artefacts. Don't blame your screen - it's just presenting what's there - warts and all.

Thanks Pauley :smashin:

Pauley - Which consoles have you tried with your TV? Which display mode are you running them in. Just someone on another forum has this TV and claimed there was gaming lag whilst I think I remember you saying there was none.

Pauley,
On this and other threads I see you using the term 'SD Resolution' - enlighten me please.....
And also when using the THX optimiser - is this viewing DVDs using component connection or HDMI connection....

Pauley - Which consoles have you tried with your TV? Which display mode are you running them in. Just someone on another forum has this TV and claimed there was gaming lag whilst I think I remember you saying there was none.
Don't use consoles - only played games on PC. If you check out the specific threads on this issue you'll find that users of games with this set are pretty unanimous there is no lag.
Pauley,
On this and other threads I see you using the term 'SD Resolution' - enlighten me please.....
And also when using the THX optimiser - is this viewing DVDs using component connection or HDMI connection....
SD is simply shorthand for standard definition - vanilla DVD and broadcasts. I've found that using the THX optomizer balances the PQ for all DVD viewing.

On my last CRT TV I had to strike a compromise between NTSC and PAL settings as I used both. On this set you have the option to set up and store a variety of picture settings for different sources / inputs, and I thought this would be ideal to set up NTSC using a R1 THX disc and PAL using a R2. As it transpired the settings from both R1 and R2 optomizers turned out to be exactly the same so no need to vary the settings.

Anyone used the AVIA disc for setting up a rear pro DLP? Is there much difference between the end result using this as opposed to the THX Optomizer?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom