1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung SP46L6HX - Problems With Picture Quality

Discussion in 'TVs' started by AndyJ, Jul 26, 2005.

1. AndyJ

AndyJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies for starting another thread about the Samsung SP46L6HX but I wanted to ensure that as many readers as possible read this post so that they can hopefully share their experiences and expertise with me and other current or prospective Samsung owners.

Like others on this forum I took the plunge and purchased a Samsung SP SP46L6HX from Makro. I’ve followed the various threads about the set with interest, especially as I don’t seem to be seeing what others are seeing, in terms of picture quality in relation to DVD playback. There seems to be a gulf between what I am seeing and what others are seeing. The posts that I have read from some buyers describe an excellent picture, however, the picture quality that I have experienced so far is terrible. It is horribly grainy, smeary and generally very indistinct. There are also major convergence issues and unfortunately there does not seem to be any easy access to improving this element. I am about 8 feet away from the set in terms of viewing distance and I plan to do a bit of reorganising in the room to stretch this a bit. My Toshiba DVD player (SD 530) is connected by SVHS and I know this connection is not ideal but the Tosh was a stopgap player bought cheaply on eBay to tide me over until the right player came along. The 32” CRT that I used previously did not have component connections so it was scart or SVHS. I have to confess that the DLP was not transported upright as this would have been extremely difficult in practical terms, however, care was taken. Obviously I have not used the set enough to allow it to burn in, if necessary. I plan to buy a set of component leads in Richer Sounds today to sample the quality of that connection. Part of the attraction of the set was the HDMI factor and this seems the best way to connect for optimum picture quality. If the set is as described I would intend to buy a player to take advantage of this element. I’ve tried the various modes such as DNIE on and off and Cinema mode, etc but as in most sets these don’t really have any significant impact.

Will component/HDMI bridge the gulf between expectation and performance? What can I do to maximise the quality of the set?

Grateful for any views/advice.

AndyJ

2. Shooter1

Shooter1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Whats the quality like on other sources?

3. FGEvans

FGEvans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I WOULD BE SURPRSIED IF THERE WERE CONVERGENCE ISSUES AS THERE IS ONLY ONE LIGHT SOURCE RATHER THAN THE THREE you get WITH TRADITIONAL rptv.

There is also no way of changing the convergence in any event.

4. DGtal

DGtal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't tried SVHS connections so can't help with that, however what I can say is that the picture on my set with DVD via RGB Scart is very good and via component is excellent. I posted quite a lot of pics over on the 'get your dlp's out' thread so you can see the quality I'm talking about there. These ar via component. I have not yet tried HDMI.

I use cinema mode for DVD and have adjusted the settings, basically to reduce colour down to about 38, similar for contrast, and increase sharpness up towards the top end. Brightness at 55.

You don't mention what the picture is like on other sources e.g. terrestrial tv?

5. AndyJ

AndyJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shooter1 - Quality on terrestrial TV is more than acceptable especially as I have a signal boosted from downstairs. Not greatly bothered about quality of TV picture as it will be used almost exclusively for movie watching and gaming. If anything TV picture quality is more watchable than DVD picture quality, perhaps because would be watching DVD with much higher expectations. Don't have a direct sky feed so can't offer meaningful comments on quality of sky.

6. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Andy, whne you say you're using SVHS, do you mean you got the DVD connect to Ext 2 and have the DVD set S-Video or are using the connections on the side. Can you're DVD output RGB, in which case try connecting to Ext 3 with a decent scart. Also bringing the contrast down from the default will help matters considerably.

If you are having problems with convergence this could be the consequence of not transporting it upright as you're are advised to do.

7. AndyJ

AndyJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Connected to S-video socket on side. Will try adjusting contrast, etc. later tonight. If convergence has been affected can it be adjusted by an engineer or is it a goner?

8. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Well you can either contact Makro and or Samsung to arrange for an Engineer to take a look or if you're still within the 28 days return period you could just return it altogether. Are you sure it's a convergence issue you've got or are just seeing the rainbow effect. In reality DLPs shouldn't suffer from convergence.

9. www

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problems at all with my SP46L6. PQ very good on all fronts. The only thing I had to do was make sure the outputs on boxes matched up to the TV inputs. Freeview improved dramatically (and is now excellent) when the freeview box was switched to s-video.

If the pic is unacceptable from a variety of sources then best to get the Engineer out.

10. Ragnarok

Ragnarok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Whats the picture quality of this set( when working properly) compaired to others.

Im virtualy sold on this model, just looking to get a few niggles out of my head before buying.

I saw the sammy sp50l7hxx along with a thomson and tosh. Although the picture was the usual crap analogue feed, but the sammy seemed to make it alot softer than all the others. Is this somthing to do with the way it was set up or just a trate of the sammy picture processing.

If it is a sammy thing i may have to go with the sagem.

11. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya: Ragnarock

On poorer feeds the sammy is a wee bit softer but give it a decent feed like sky or dvd and the pic is very good. You do get the odd channel that is crappy on sky but for the most part the SP50 is great to watch. A decent dvd fed by component or hdmi is really good and sharp, you'll prob find it wasnt set up correctly either. :smashin:

12. Ragnarok

Ragnarok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    I expect poor feeds to be poor. but it was the same analogue feed on them all side by side and it was alot softer on the sammy than the others. Just wondering weather it's a samgung trate, or a setup issue.

I will be using it almost totaly with my current SKY+ untill somthing better comes along, also with the PC ( i can use this for freeview(DTT pci card) and dvd's to keep the signal digital) from time to time.
    As for SDTV channels using low bitrates and/or resoloutions, their just ain't nothing you can do about it and they look lacking sharpeness even on my old panny 4:3 CRT. I can easily pick out digial artifacts on my CRT as it is anyway, thats just the state of digital tv as it is.

I have to admit even the sagem with an analogue feed impressed me with how well it delt the all the noise and the 720P demo was great.

I'm looking at the SP46/50l6xx and it's best to know these things before you buy. ya won't know if you don't ask.

13. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I had the SP46L6HX for a while and although I had other issues with, mainly rainbows, I couldn't in fact fault the PQ I was getting with Sky+. I certainly didn't think the image was overtly soft, compared with my old 28" Hitachi CRT it was just right.

14. sanj

sanj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Ragnarok

Buy the tv with confidence. I purchased it from Makro and have found it equivalent if not superior to my old Sony 29" 4:3 tv. Of course if the Sky channel you are watching is poor you will notice that the picture is poor. But the main contributing factor to noticing picture artefacts is the fact that the tv is producing a big image and so it is a much easier to notice signal degradation issues.

Even when viewing terrestial channels, (which I do rarely) I get a very good image that is very, very slightly softer than my Sony, but then I prefer a more 'filmic feel' to my viewing.

So far the only issue-et I have noticed is the slight fan noise that can be heard, but the tv is NOT going back. Even the wife has got used to the size of the tv, but then we do have a Sanyo Z2 projector as well :)

Buy and enjoy :thumbsup: