1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung SP46L6HX new model?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by destix, May 12, 2005.

1. destix

destix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bought my sp46l3hx from currys about 3 weeks ago , it went faulty and was offered an exchange , however they say this model is now discontinued and they will be supplying me with the new sp46l6hx model in 3 weeks
    anyone heard of this model?? :confused:

2. pgc

pgc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a few issues with my Sammy SP46L3HX and had a nightmare of a job getting it sorted at Curry's. Anyway, I managed to get them to agree to an exchange but was told, like you, that it is now a discontinued model.

Can anyone offer advice as to a decent alternative or will Samsung deliver a replacement 46" model that remedies the faults of the old model. Or shall I just have my money back?

Having moved from an old 32" CRT to a 46" screen it would be difficult to go back.

3. Chatters

Chatters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just really a comment to add to destix and pgc other comments as I have a SP46L3HX on order and I'd rather have the L6 version. (presuming new over old is always better)

Should I contact my Curry's and insist on the L6 version?

Come on Lizard!! you have an answer for most other things ! Help !!

4. philip41

philip41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most strange that the Currys you mention should say the set is discontinued, as i have two days ago had a replacement arranged, they went into their system looked up the model, and put in the order for the new one, no mention of a newer model.
    Also i was talking to Sammy tech support Friday about the fault, they agreed it needed replacing, again no mention of it being discontinued.

5. jonwilde

jonwilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Destix

I am waiting for my 46" Samsung at present which branch of Currys did you get this info from ?

Thanks Jon

6. sanj

sanj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

Just spoke to Currys and they said they are getting a new product in -
    the SP46L6HX.

On their web site they are selling the SP46L3HXX for £1600.
    What's the significance of the extra X on the end of the model and are these
    the same tv?

Ta,
    Sanj

7. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Just looking at the US Models, and it seems they have 2 almost identical 46" models, one with the HD3, and one with the HD2+.. perhaps the L6 is going to be a HD2+ model... which if the price is right, may be prove to be a real winner...

8. destix

destix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have been promised a free swap by currys to the SP46L6HX when it comes in
    so im crying out for info on this tv :clap:

9. Shooter1

Shooter1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    destix, keep us informed with how you get on with the new set. Sounds promising.
    When are they expecting delivery?

10. Chatters

Chatters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just been looking around and and wondered over to the www.samsung.fr site to see if I could look at anything interesting and found that you can look at both the SP46L3HX and L6 versions on the same site.

At just a glance both models are shipped with the HD3 chip but the L6 has a higher contrast ratio or 1:2000 (1:1500 on the L3) and a few minor looks details, but seems to be few other changes? unless anyone wishes to read the full manuals on PDF to examine closer....

My conclusions are that if you can get the L6 for the price of the L3 or there abouts go for it...... However knowing that Curry's have just discounted further the price of the L3 down to £1600, surely it's a ploy to release any last remaining stocks of L3 ready for the the influx of L6 along with a price to suit!

11. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    An English version of the manual for this model can be found on the Dutch Samsung website here - http://www.samsung.com/nl/support/productsupport/download/Model_Select2.aspx?type=TV&subtype=projection%20tv&model=SP-46L6HX&fileType=UM&LSSI=/nl/module/ssi/left/lmenu_tv_projectiontv.sec&RSSI=/nl/module/ssi/right/rmenu_tv.sec

Interestingly according to the manual there is a 42", 46", 50" and 61" version of this model. Whether any of these apart from the 46 will be coming to the UK is anyones guess.

12. philip41

philip41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well as you may or may not know i to am awaiting another replacment set, so having not heard anything from Curry's for 3 weeks, i popped into the store for an update.
    After consulting with the system, i was informed that the Sp46L3HX is definiatly discontinued, the lead time on my replacment is about 3 weeks, but as yet it does not show which model i will be getting.

P.S

Thanks for the links guys.

13. Chatters

Chatters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same here, knowing the situation on the L3 I too called my Curry's ref the del date on my Sammy and they to gave me the same story...... I pushed them saying I would only take the L6 after waiting this long, but he could not confirm which model I would get...

Let's hope it's the L6!

14. destix

destix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bear in mind the L6 is a slightly different style (speaker seems seperated from the screen slightly)
    going by the pictures i think i prefer the design of the old L3, but need to see the L6 in the flesh
    currys cant give me an exact date , but seems it will be about 2-3 weeks
    i notice its not quite released in france yet either , but some online retailers have it listed , without a price

15. destix

destix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.planetediscount.com/vprd/SP46L6HXX/24/

found the L6 for sale on a french website , says 5 days availability
    its also priced at 2200 euros which makes it about 550 euros more expensive than the L3 at the moment

L6 appears to be somewhere around 1 cm thinner and 1kg lighter

hope currys get it in soon :)
    im liking the better contrast ratio

16. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    If you ever noticed the price tickets at Currys they usually have the L3 priced at 1799.99 reduced from £2225.00. So you can imagine that the initial price for the L6 is likely to be in that sort of ball park.

17. destix

destix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    currys phoned me today and said it would be another 2-3 weeks :rolleyes:

18. Chatters

Chatters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I was called by my branch of Curry's I discussed the L6 version, and he agreed that L3 was going to be phased out.

Knowing what I know, mostly from you guys and a little research. I pushed them for the L6 version. As I have already been waiting 6 weeks and are going on holiday this Friday for a further 2 weeks this will amount to almost 9-10 weeks they have had to provide me with the TV of my choice (not to metion paid for!!)

So I told them in my best Brummy twang "Yo've ad plenty of time to sort me TV, When ar get's back frum da Costa Barva, I'll axcept nout less than a spanking new SP46L6HXX"

After all a ruby murry washed down Bank's Bitter doesn't taste as good listening to the radio!

19. pgc

pgc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got totally fed up with Curry's and returned my Sammy 46" a week ago. They collected the unit last week and guess what, Im still waiting for my cash back.

They eventually agreed that it was not perhaps the best idea to exchange it for the same model but also had now idea when the new replacement was coming out.

Kind of put me off DLP. Just shows what damage to consumer confidence these guys can cause with their lack of knowledge and interest.

20. Polk

Polk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well here in Australia Samsung are now releasing new models, the old SP46L3H is not going to be replaced with 46 inch model however they are releasing new 42inch 50, and 60 inch models. Bit frustrated they dont have a 46 inch one.

Retail for 42 is $3000 AU and $1000 for each jump in model size.

Not sure what chip is in these new models? I presume it is the new better ones!?

Polk

21. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    destix, it's been nearly 3 weeks, have you heard anything from Currys?

I've narrowed my choice down to a Toshiba or Sammy, but don't like the pedestal stand version (SP50L7HX), so really hoping that Samsung release the L6 versions in the UK. Going out this weekend to visit Comet & Currys to get my first demos of DLP TVs, so will also ask Currys about the L6 version. Hoping to buy a TV within the next couple of months.

22. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I got an email reply from Samsung yesterday stating that the SP46L6HX will be released to the shops in the "next few weeks".

23. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    That's excellent news. :smashin: Did they say which models they would be releasing in the UK - 42", 46", 50", 61". I'm undecided between a 46"and a 50".

24. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I only asked about the 46" I'm afraid.

25. cervaro

cervaro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't decide whether to wait for the new Samsung 46" or to go for the Sagem 45" now? Is one significantly better than the other or much of a muchness?

26. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Can't really tell until you can demo both. Personally, I've never really liked the Sagem due to it's characteristic "frosty" screen, ie, the anti-reflective coating it uses on the screen which leaves a frosty/sparkly appearance particularly noticeable on bright background scenes, but then that's just me.

27. destix

destix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heard nothing yet , will chase it up this week , although im expecting to be told "a couple more weeks" as i still dont see it with any uk retailers , samsung replied to an email i sent but told me i would have to contact my local retailer for release info
    im guessing we wont see it in july , but maybe august :rolleyes:
    currys better hold there promise to me , and replace my L3 with the L6 when it comes in

28. cyberdaz

cyberdaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was looking at buying the pedestal samsung but stumbled across this model
    the samsung 46"dlp SP46L6HXX/XEU for what seems an amazinly cheap 999.99 plus VAT in this weeks makro mail catalogue ..
    im unable to find much info on this model right now , tho ive every confidence in samsungs current DLP technology im just curious as to weather its HD2+ or otherwise .. thanks
    also please let me know if £999.99 (1175.00 ish with vat) isnt a good deal ... ill also get 10% off as staff
    thanks again

29. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    That is an amazing price considering the outgoing SP46L3HX was around the £1700 mark. The SP46L6 has the newer HD3 chip but apart from looks it's very similar to the SP46L3. You can download an English manual from the Dutch Samsung site here: http://www.samsung.com/nl/support/productsupport/download/Model_Select2.aspx?type=TV&subtype=projection%20tv&model=SP-46L6HX&fileType=UM&LSSI=/nl/module/ssi/left/lmenu_tv_projectiontv.sec&RSSI=/nl/module/ssi/right/rmenu_tv.sec

BTW what's the catalogue number 'cause I'm looking at the latest one (no 14 - 22/06/05 - 05/07/05) and I can't see it. Are you sure it was £999 and not £1999.

30. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252