1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung SP46L6HX - Lip Sync

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by jonwilde, Aug 8, 2005.

1. jonwilde

jonwilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, anyone help on this, I am running the set via Sky and a Denon 2802 amp but the sound is slightly out with the picture. If I use the tv volume it is fine but through the amp it isn't.

Anyone had this problem ?

Jon

2. beng

beng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm. I hope not having just bought one!

I would have thought that any synching issues are more to do with Sky than they are your setup. Does it occur on every channel? Although you say the problem goes away when you run the sound through the TV set? Perhaps you have already diagnosed the problem?

3. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I believe somebody else had the same issue (maybe not with this set) and it was solved by adjusting settings on the AMP. Like Beng said, if it doesnt happen direct to the TV, then something is happening to the audio signal before it reaches the speakers...ie: in the Amp.

4. jonwilde

jonwilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it does occur on every channel, i am assuming its the amp set up but i had the LG DLP set before the Samsung and that was fine with the same settings as i am currently running.

picture is fantastic though, massively better than the LG.

5. thekingbeyond

thekingbeyond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    I have noticed the samsung has a lip sync problem when using an amp, but not when using the onboard sound, looks like the set delays the audio internally to sync with the picture

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    Most AV amps have some sort of inbuilt delay - usually to account for differing distances between speaker and ear. It can be three basic ways:

type A has variable delay for only certain channels - eg the rears only or rear and centre. There is nothing you can do with such an amp

type B has variable delay for some or all of the channels, but also has a master delay that affects them all evenly. On such an amp it's easy to fix lip synch issues - by adjusting the master delay

type C has variable delay for all channels, but no master. You can adjust out lip synch issues by increasing the audio delay by an equal amount on all channels. Note: if the amp measures the delay as a distance (as in, feet or metres from listening position to each speaker) then to delay the sound further , feet or metre measurements need REDUCING.

(A B and C are just my invented terms - not official).

7. jonwilde

jonwilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LV, thanks for the advice will try to adjust the delay on the amp.

Cheers Jon

8. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    I have this DLP set and have had no lip sync problems from my DVD player, DVD recorder or Freeview box.

Would say it's a safe bet the problem lies with the Sky box.

9. jonwilde

jonwilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    still having trouble with lip sync, tried the amp but to no avail, anyone have any other ideas ??

10. thekingbeyond

thekingbeyond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    Its caused by a delay the tv introduces to the video, internal sound is ok because the tv compensates for the delay.
    When you go through an amp the lip sync is not compensated for, so you need to have an amp with a delay facility or buy one of these

http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=4637

11. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Pauley - Are you running any of your kit through an amp? or anyone who has this running it through an amp?

12. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Yes - I run all of my sources (DVD, DVD recorder, Freeview box) through an AV amp - in fact the signal is routed through two amps. I use my Pioneer AX5Ai to drive the centre, sub and surround speakers. I have a L-R pre-amp out from the Pioneer to going to my Audiolab 8000A amp that drives the L-R main speakers.

This problem could be down to how fast the amp processes the signal from the DVD player. So it could be DVD player output, processing speed of the AV amp, quality of connections between the two, or even all / none of the above.

All I can say is that I have no lip sync problems at all with any source.

13. thekingbeyond

thekingbeyond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    the ax5i has a delay function, i used it when i owned this tv, does the denon 2802 not have this feature

14. Marksurry

Marksurry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem with my Samy when running the sound through an amp. I have a Yamaha amp but sadly it only has a delay function on the rear speakers. The amp does need upgrading as it's about 5 years old now. That's the excuse I give the misses anyway :D
    New amp, here I come !!

15. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The Sky boxes are to blame. Projector users are always the first to pick up on this purely due to their viewing distance making faults more obvious, its been covered quite a few times in the PJ forum. If you are after a cheap receiver with delay have a look at the Yamaha range, the RX 457 which can be had for around £150.

16. Marksurry

Marksurry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My DVD player has the delay too, not just the Sky box. Drives me up the wall.
    I did see an amp at Richer Sounds, the Yamaha RXSL80S which has lip sync delay. A snip at £150. Could be a good replacement for my current amp :clap:

17. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    There was something about this delay issue a while ago in another thread. It mentioned something about being able to alter the delay settings for the set from inside the service menus.

18. Marksurry

Marksurry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @Pauley
    Do you know how I can get to the service menus? When using the Samsung for sound and vision there is no problem. When using an external amp for sound the lip sync is ever so slightly out. This can be so off putting :mad:
    Thanks in advance.

19. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Service menu

With the set in standby mode press INFO, MENU, MUTE, POWER in rapid succession. Make sure you take a note of any settings in case you have to reset to these.

20. jonwilde

jonwilde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pauley,

And where do you go into from there to alter this ?

21. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Not a clue mate.

All I know is how to access the service menu. Not had reason to go in yet. Just prowl around until you find it. As long as you're careful not to accidentally alter any settings you should be OK.

22. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Pauley.
    Could you tell me how this model rates to the Sagem 45" please.

I've read a lot of good things about the 46" in these forums, but I saw one in Comet's today and it didn't look very good to me. Admittedly it was running off of an RF feed, as were the other sets on display, but the picture was VERY BLURRY, compared to the others.

Does it match up to the Sagem with a decent feed, do you think?

23. dunsters

dunsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have been saying on the forums for some time now, that the Sagem with a decent feed (Good sky, DVD or HD film) is the best I have seen during all my personal reviews and without doubt an excellent buy:thumbsup: . The Gap is closing with the newer competitor models but you will not go wrong with a Sagem - PROVIDING, you can ensure the best feed:lesson: . The Sagem (more so the larger screen version) will highlight a poor feed and does have some issues re-processing weaker feeds to a larger screen (just like most plasma, front projectors and and nearly all other DLPs.) Is it the worst at this? I do not think so but it can be an issue - especially if your experience is a smaller CRT or somesuch or if you intend to sit too close to the screen (the further you sit from a poor source screen the less you see these effects - Which are always there even on other screens but not noticeable as they are on the larger screen). (I had a 32" Panasonic 100mhz CRT prior to a DLP and thought I had a superb picture then but in fact the Sagem is better IMHO with a good source.

There you go - as clear as mud I am sure, but my view none-the-less.;)

Cheers:hiya:

24. hutchys

hutchys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've read a lot of good things about the 46" in these forums, but I saw one in Comet's today and it didn't look very good to me. Admittedly it was running off of an RF feed, as were the other sets on display, but the picture was VERY BLURRY, compared to the others.[/QUOTE]
    I saw both of these next to each other in Comets yesterday also. Both where being feed the same poor feed both via RF only, and in my opinion the Samsung was far better. The Sagem 50 was very 'noisy' compared to the Samsung IMO. In fact it made up my mind to buy the Samsung over the Sagem because if it can look something like with such a poor feed what would it look like with a good signal. This can also be bought for approx £700 less (£1200 compared to £1900) but you do get an extra 4". I believe the 45HD is approx £1500? and finally if I connected a Lumagen DVI or similar to this set I could according to the reports have a stonking PQ (I have not seen this myself as yet)that is by all accounts much better than anything 'off the shelf' for around the same price as the Sagem 50" albeit with 4" less.

25. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    The Sagem 45 -as has been noted by many on here- has a "frosty" picture effect due to the type of anti-reflective coating used on the screen.

This is especially noticable on bright scenes - cloud, snow, etc. Looks like a slight grain over the picture. This was the first set I auditioned and I considered this effect to be barely noticeable and totally negligible.

However, when I saw the Samsung in comparison, with this effect absent, it made it stand out all the more when I viewed the Sagem again. The other issue that swung me away from the Sagem was the reported picture issues when standard definition material is played through the digital inputs.

As I have a considerable amount of standard-def material, I plumped for the Samsung.

Oh and bear in mind that the Samsung is not only cheaper than the Sagem, but comes supplied with a free stand. The Sagem stand is an extra £300.

At the end of the day, view them both and decide for yourself.

26. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Thanks guys.
    I'm still confused!
    They are both good VFM though. (Comparatively).

27. Jamesy_UK

Jamesy_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    One question I know this may not be exactly the right thread but I have always had virtual dolby on last 2 tv's including my current 32" wega 100hz tv but I was wondering how Nicam quality was on this set cause while i can stretch to this Sammy set I have been told by my lovely other half in no uncertain terms that I am not having sattelite speakers in her living room ;) and cant afford a YSP-1 (yet)
    nm 2 sites i looked up the specs on just said nicam.... however when i checked samsungs website its trusound Xt doh..

28. rammy

rammy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I Have The 46" Sammy Dlp. And A Denon Dvd Player Running Through It,the Player Has An Internal Amp I Prosume Its Got The Surround Sound Set Up. And I Get The Lip Sync Problem All The Time,drives Me Crazy, Set The Delay Before Every Film Then Half Way Through The Film It Goes Out Again. Anyone Any Ideas?also Noticed A Few White Specks On The Screen Now And Again Through Sky+ And Dvd? Thanks

29. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Have you considered trading-in the lovely other half for a surround sound set up? :D