1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung SP46L6HX - Film Mode?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Tarbat, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Does anyone know exactly how FILM MODE works on the Samsung SP46L6HX (and other Samsung DLPs I guess). What setting are other owners using for Sky, Freeview, and other normal SD sources. Film mode obviously switches to progressive, but does it try to detect if the source material is progressive before it switches to progressive mode, or does it simply use progressive mode regardless of the source material?

I've currently got it turned ON for Sky, and the only time I notice any interlace problems is on scrolling credits which clearly show interlace effects and are almost unreadable. I don't really want to have keep switching FILM MODE on and off, so tend to leave it on since it really improved the picture on movies.

Using component inputs, the film mode option is greyed out and set to ON all the time anyway.

2. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    I'll answer my own question. It only switches to progressive if the source material is progressive. Seen this happening in real time on BBC News 24 (ch 507 on Sky). When one of their outside broadcast cameras is delivering progressive material you see the ticker tape at the bottom of the screen get interlace tearing artifacts. When they switch back to the studio, with an interlaced feed, the interlace tearing artifacts dissapear on the scrolling ticker tape.

A very clever feature of Samsung DLP TVs, and means I'll keep it in Film Mode all the time so that when watching Sky Movies, DVDs, etc. I get a really good progressive picture.

3. knightsyr

knightsyr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that , i did wonder what film mode did and when people used to write about our dlp and not only sony lcd:boring: i will try it on in future
    do you have digiatal nr on i have it set to off, and dnie set to on im afraid my actual settings are a real trial i did change gamma setting to 1 in service menu and dependant on what im watching i switch between standard .cinema , dynamic c 79,b54,s40,c41 hope that helps post me your settings our dying breed of samsung 46 dlps need to stick together:clap: :clap:

4. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    We ain't no dying breed, just selective :D

I've never really played with the film setting, but i'll give it a try now.

I've also made GAMMA corrections, including the mandatory reduction to 1. The gamma changes have certainly had a positive effect on the PQ.

My present settings are thus

Contrast - 70
    Brightness - 48
    Sharpness - 60
    Colour - 40

The sharpness seems to have little or no impact on the PQ imo.

Cheers

Mark