1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung Sp46l6 at Miller Brother Online

Discussion in 'TVs' started by hoppaz, Oct 20, 2005.

1. hoppaz

hoppaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    This is for all you people who are looking for a Samsung Sp46l6. Miller Brothers have it on special at £1186 via their website with free delivery. However, I think there is no other payment options other than all up front.

http://www.millerbros.co.uk/?i=13lT4d30EecO&vp=5&bg=173&bp=46l6s&bi=0&WT.svl=plimg

Link should work, if not just type upto ....uk and go from there.

I am looking to get one after Xmas (an agreement I have with my girlfriend) but I would be interested to know if Miller do buy now pay later or interest free

2. Bonky

Bonky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Absolutely right. Just rang the Miller Bros store in Leeds and they haven't any on display :rolleyes:
    I would like to see this TV in action with a HD feed and Component feed from a DVD player just to tip me over the edge in buying it.
    Also considering the Sony KDF-E50A12U but it's possible a tad big (width wise) for the IKEA storage system I'm buying to house it between

3. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I would also like to see the SP46 in the flesh. I've seen the Sony and it is very good for the money.

If your budget is circa £1,200 then the Sony KDF-E50A12U and Samsung SP46L6HX are the obvious options.

The Samsung SP50L7HX and Sagem HD50 G4 are also on my shortlist.

4. slackbladder

slackbladder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Any idea on delivery times? I've waited a month for a SP46 and I've given up all hope :mad: . I'm going to find out about availability of the Sony 50" 3LCD and if available get that instead.

5. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Slacky, you've got 2 choices bud.

1. Cancel your current order and buy the SP46 from Comet (£1,399).
    2. Cancel your current order and buy the Sony 50" 3LCD from a Sony Centre or John Lewis (£1,399).

I'm in the same boat in some respects; these two displays are top of my shortlist.

Cheers

Mark

6. John 1987

John 1987

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    What does it mean by 'Silver Colour', the TV is black isn't it?

7. slackbladder

slackbladder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Yep, those were my thoughts too. Hmmm...I think I'll take a look at the Sony first before I make any decision. I really did have my mind set on the SP46 too...

8. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    John

The front of the set has a black frame and a silver speaker grille. The sides and rear / top are silver.

slackbladder

Unless you suffer from rainbows I'd be patient and hold out for the SP46. I had my third demo of the Sony yesterday afternoon with a friend and we watched two DVDs that I know pretty well and the performance was not a patch on the Samsung. Both clearly displayed picture artefacts not present on the Samsung and black levels were nowhere near as good.

My friend is in the market for a DLP after virtually living in my house almost every evening since I got the SP46. He has noticed rainbows on my SP46 very occasionally, but to him they are completely negligible and have never been an issue, but he wanted to take a look at the Sony first before deciding. His opinion was that he could very easily live with the occasional rainbow but would not be content with the quality of the rear-pro LCD after seeing the SP46 in action.

We both agree that this is the best looking LCD we have seen, and your best option if you are susceptible to rainbows and find them a problem. Otherwise hang on for the Sammy.

9. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    the_pauley

Going off track slightly. How does the SP46L6 compare with the SP50L7? I have seen the SP50L7 and Sony 3LCD in action and (obviously :D ) preferred the Samsung, but not by a long margin.

Budget wise the SP46 is more attractive, but I have yet to see one in the flesh.

I did not notice the 'rainbow effect' on the SP50, but allegedly it is more noticable on the SP46?

Cheers

Mark

10. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Auditioned both of these sets very carefully when I was looking to buy and found nothing to choose between them picture-wise. Was swayed toward the 46 as I had a couple of issues with the pedestal on the 50, until that came along I was poised to buy the 50.

I'd say if you didn't see rainbows on the 50 then you're highly unlikely to see them on the 46. The only time I've seen them on this set is on the THX Optomizer where the white circle is on the black background. Other than that a rainbow-free few months for me. :)

11. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Pedestal issues aside, would you say the SP50L7 has the slight edge over the SP46L6 with regard to PQ? I suppose this is comparing the HD2+ and HD4 chipsets.

I noticed there is a SP50L6, but with the exception of Pixmania, there is no stock to be seen.

The wife is keen on the extra 4 inches :D :D

12. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    No. My ultimate decider would have been the PQ - pedestal or no pedestal. There was nothing to choose between them.

13. slackbladder

slackbladder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Thanks for that the_pauley.

Well, I'd certainly demo the Sony first for sure. When I demoed the SP50 and the Tosh 46WM48 (which the store now has for £999) I didn't notice any rainbows at all even when viewing the Xbox game Halo 2. Of course the Tosh is out of the question because of its smearing.
    I am waiting until next week but if my SP46 does'nt turn up I'll either get it somewhere else (tricky) or try out the Sony and if it has a good PQ (good enough for me anyway) than it's next on the list.

14. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just ordered an SP46L6 from Comet, which is due for delivery next Tuesday. At least I get 7 days to put it through its paces. Lucky I'm off work all next week then :D

I'll let you what I think in due course.

Now to order some component cables.

15. gameboy1

gameboy1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hoppaz, thanks for the tip. I've just ordered mine with delivery in 2-3 weeks. Had to pay all up front.

Thanks

16. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Does anyone know if Miller Bros charge on order or despatch please?

17. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    You have to pay up front with these guys unless you get credit terms.

18. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Really? Why should you have to pay for an item when they can't even give you a delivery date? Sucks if you ask me!

19. Krishna

Krishna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear ALL - in particular anyone who owns a Samsung SP46L6HXX DLP TV:

I have this latest news from Samsung UK about their current SP46L6HX DLP TV compared to their last year's one (SP46L3HX) - which I personally own:

They tell me that that the new SP46L6HXX actually on has 2 x 1-Way speakers built-in - whereas last year's first Sammy DLP, the SP46L3HX - had 4 x 2-way speakers built in.

They also claim that this year's model does NOT have:
    1. progressive scan
    2. Gamma compensation
    3. Micro Fine Pitch Screen
    4. First Surface mirror
    5. LNA
    6. Graphic Equaliser (only bass/treble instead)

and yet Samsung UK are saying that this years' 46L6 DOES have DCDi Faroudja built-in, as well as a Built-in Flash Memory slot!! And they claim the it's got an HD2+ DMD chip in there - not a HD4....

Can any SP46L6HX owner or someone who's in the know please clarify all the above - as I'm wondering it here's any benefit in me selling my L3 and upgrading to this L6 - based on the above -I'm not sure there is!!

Thanks.

20. slackbladder

slackbladder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Until I get mine on Thursday I can only suggest looking at their site. Samsung UK
    I am amazed if Samsung said no Prog Scan! Matter of fact I'm amazed Samsung said any of those things. It is true that their speakers are 1 way x 2. But as for everything else..well look at the site. Of course that could be utterly inaccurate, but I don't think so.
    There are several owners who could verify for certain I'm sure.

21. Krishna

Krishna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Owners of Samsung SP46L6HX - Please can u verify the above - because I know FOR A FACT that Samsung's website is often VERY INNACURATE - and it seems to me hard to comprehend that this above model is so LESS FEATURE RICH than last year's SP46L3HX - although perhaps it makes sense if it's only £1200 ...
    Heck - Samsung UK told me today that the set uses a HD2+ chip - yet in a internal staff spec sheet they emailed me it says it's HD4 !!!
    And if the speakers in this new set are only 2 x 1-Way - surely that's a noticeable DROP in sound qaulity compared to last year's 4 x 2-Way spec of the L3...?