1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung SP46L3HX or 5HX?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by JZEE, Jan 9, 2005.

1. JZEE

JZEE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've been planning to buy a "proper" TV for my living room for the past year or so and finally narrowed my search on a Samsung rear projection model (based on what I've read and on the picture quality I've seen).

I went to the local Samsung representative yesterday's morning and they had on display the SP46L5HX. It definitely has a great picture and great overall design. When I asked for a quote the sales rep gave me a catalogue that featured the SP46L3HX instead (of the 5HX). He told me that the 5HX is basically a newer model.

I looked around on this forum and if I understand correctly they really use two different technologies - the 3HX uses DLP whereas the 5HX uses LCD. My question is what would you go for? Shall I go ahead with the 5HX or shall I purchase the 3HX instead? Looks like DLP is a better technology that does not suffer with displaying blacks as much as LCD or with shadowing. I plan to use the TV to watch movies and normal analogue TV at times in dim light.

Thanks for your thoughts.

2. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Definitely go for DLP. No contest at present for RPTV.

By the way, where do you live? I'm guessing it's not the UK!

3. JZEE

JZEE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the insight AV - actually I'm in Malta.

I hope the local representative will be able to supply the DLP model - since it is available in Italy, I presume that it should be no problem for them. I will call them tomorrow.