1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung SP42W5HFX RPTV opinions

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by UndeadCretin, Dec 31, 2002.

1. UndeadCretin

UndeadCretin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm considering buying a Samsung SP42W5HFX 42 inch RPTV. I have had the chance to view the set in Currys and it looks very stylish and the picture quality looks good. The only problem was that the screen was very reflective. The set was in a bad position with spotlights and several other TVs reflecting on it so it probably wasnt a realistic viewing.

I want to be able to view the set with the lights on so can anyone who owns one comment on what it is like in a normal home environment. I wont have any lights shining directly on it and it wont have any light from the windows shining on it so I think it should be fine.

Any other comments on the TV? I need the cabinet that it comes with so this looks like the ideal set for me.

Many thanks for any advice,

Jamie

2. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I was looking at that set in Currys/Comet last Saturday, seems a far sharper picture than others I had seen, although not all the others were 100Hz. The only reservation I had about it was that it just looked too flashy/glitzy as opposed to the Toshiba/Sony etc..but I agree with you about the cabinet underneath..much better than the other models I mentioned..in as much as you could actually use the damn thing !!

BTW..did you get a price for the TV from them ?

A mate of mine works in Curry's and all he said he could do was discount the warranty..:rolleyes:

3. UndeadCretin

UndeadCretin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

The price in Currys was £1399. I saw a similar model in Comet for £1299 but that was 50HZ and was only nicam. I think they have the set on www.qed-uk.com for about £1310, but the model number is a bit messed up and I am waiting to hear if it comes complete with the cabinet (Ive emailed them). Not seen many retailers on the web that stock this model for some reason.

Regards,

Jamie

4. Symm

Symm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just picked up the set from Comet at £1299, Comet seem to be putting their own model codes on it though (and getting their descriptions wrong). When I got the set and checked the model number on the back, I found that it was the 100Mhz model and had 3 scart sockets as opposed to 2 which the Comet website says it has. At least I believe this to be the case anyway.

I actually bought the thing against what I'd read in reviews, all the reviews I'd read indicated that it was a set to steer clear of. But I thought sod it, because it looks good.

I initially thought I'd made a mistake, because the picture was awful...however 3 things have happened since then.

1. The projecting guns warmed up to get rid of some of the blur.
    2. I calibrated the convergence, which got rid of the rest of the blur.
    3. I set Digital NR to No (this was the biggest change and most pleasing change I made (all the previous smear effects disappeared, whether it be analogue or digital signal).

The picture now looks stunning...with maybe a slight blue bleed at the upper left corner (hardly noticable - it ain't gonna bother anyone).

I can only assume that those reviewers that said it was a shambles failed to do steps 2 & 3 and were therefore not giving the TV a chance. I even heard a reviewer say that the fans were noisy (well either my fans are broken or something because I can't hear a fan going, the thing is silent, as well as being fairly cool).

I am greatly impressed with the set, my legs nearly gave way when I saw the PIP options and the Scan feature, I nearly started worshipping the TV.

5. Symm

Symm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well here's fun...regarding the Comet info and the model numbers etc...I'll just post this so as not to lead people astray (apart from myself, who is still confused).

The model number on the back of my set is SP42W4HPX/EUX

I cannot find the exact model number on Samsung's website, but from the other models I can deduce that the TV is 50Hz.

However Comet's specs seem to differ to a Spanish Retailers specs on the exact same model (the only other retailer that I found that sells that model), the Spanish retailers specs say that it is 100Hz, with 3 Scart Sockets (it has got 3 scart sockets), and Comet says it's 50Hz with 2 Scart Sockets (which is obviously false info).

I don't know, but I suspect it's in between.

6. UndeadCretin

UndeadCretin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw that model in Comet and it looked very nice. It was setup next to several Sony, Toshibas and Panasonic RPTVs and it looked at least as good as any of the others. I saw it had three scarts so was a bit dubious about how accurate the Comet web site info was. Whether it was 50Hz or 100Hz I wouldn't have a clue but I cant really see flicker at 50Hz anyway.

I have now ordered a SP42W5HFX, as I've had the chance to see it set up in Dixons under well lit conditions and there were no
    reflection problems.

7. khalilk

khalilk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HOwdy ,

When i was looking for a TV (rear projection) as i wanted a big tv, i checked heap loads , from sony , toshiba , hitachi, panisonic, samsun, conika (not the fotos people) and LG.

There were widscreens and normal panscan 4:3 , I thought forget the widescreen as most of the programes broadcasted in 4:3 !

My selection criteria was based on :-
    1) size of the screen
    2)picture quality
    3) price
    4) built in sound

the order is what i rated 1 to be more important and so on !

there for looking arround what was availble saw 109cm , 119cm and 137 cm ...SOny and toshiba were close , withthe 100hrz models and the price tags were nice and heavy to go with them. then by total freeky chance came accross the 155cm samsunq , i swiftly walked over to where the set was in a corner in a stor with very little lighting..themodel was 100mhz scan and the picture waulity indeed wa svery poor and viewing anle ver poor! not bright fussy ..so got the sales rep to hook it up to a dvd plaer and the same watching ICE AGE ...the picture quality was crap ! switched the digi NR on and off small difference but still picture not to my liking.

Now that i had seen a 155cm all the rest looked small , i wanted 155cm but wasnt prepared to pay 3300 pounds for this !

after weeks of looking around and thought i'dend up buy a 137 cm Tosh or sony...i stubled over a 152 cm LG rear projection TV and this was in a bright light up place in a store...and the picture quality was very clear , it was bright , with 100mhz scan viewing angles great, appearance great, sound stage very nice (not that it was a major concern as i had AV 5.1 set up) ..the price tag was 1900 pounds !

Its absolutly fantastic !

my recommendation get LG 152 cm Rear projection TV ...