Samsung SP42Q2HLX & Xbox Hi-def

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by bradalax, Mar 13, 2006.

1. bradalax

bradalax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a SAMSUNG SP42Q2HLX - I know it's not HD ready, knew that when I bought it, but.................................

I have just got a second hand Xbox (not a 360) I wanted to have a play about and see if i can get it running Hi-def, however I seem to remember reading a post some time ago saying that the Xbox had problems displaying on this TV.

I've done a Forum search and have found a couple of threads, but they seem to be talking about the Xbox 360.

My question is - Will my TV be compatible with the Xbox after getting it to run Hi Def?

Cheers,

2. Padi

Padi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the Xbox and 360 output hidef at 60hz while this tv is only capable of taking hidef at 50hz. Anyway even if you could get the Xbox output to be hidef at 50 Hz the TV will only downscale the signal to display it at standard resolution anyways. Just as well having the Xbox output standard definition I think. I’m no expert but this is just what I have gathered as I have the same TV and read a lot about it on here.

3. bradalax

bradalax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the reply, but you lost me a little there I'm afraid.

Why would the TV downscale the signal?

4. Padi

Padi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No Problems, The TV is not capable of displaying high definition (HD is up to 1080 lines of detail) because the screen is only capable of displaying standard definition (480 visible lines of detail), due to screen resolution limitations but what the TV can do is take in a high definition signal ([email protected]) and instead of showing a blank screen like many non High def TVs it shrinks (down scales) the high definition feed to a standard feed (480 lines of detail) so that it can display it on screen. If this is still unclear let me know.

5. boodle

boodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    ur saving u knew ur tv isnt hd, yet ur asking if it can be made to work in hd.:suicide:

bottom line is, the tv doesnt support proper hd, doesnt have dvi and doesnt have hdmi, will only take 1080i at 50hz thru component, which is not what u need for xbox 360, and other things, like pc graphics cards etc.

ive got one of these tv's and am in the middle of trying to get my money back. ive given comet long enough to sort it out, and so tommorow im following up my complaint with trading standards, which i opened around a month back.

6. bradalax

bradalax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the clarification Guys.

No - I knew the screen wasn't HD ready (HDMI & DVI). But I thought it could still display HD through componentt?

I've had my set for quite a while now so probably don't have any course to get it swapped!

Hope you get sorted boodle.

7. boodle

boodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    some guys on here have had theres for over a year, so i dont think its much of a problem. personally, ive had mine since december, but have been nagging comet for around 2 months in total

8. bradalax

bradalax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You all have me thinking now!

Just gone thorugh the manual (for what it's worth!) and it doesn' describe anything about how it handles input over the component connection.

Just mailed Samsung as a first step for clarification then I'll take it from there.

Just been nosing around trying to find contact details for Comet and found this,
    http://www.cometjobs.co.uk/main/10_head_office/10d_locations.htm
    Why do they still have a photo of a Gamecube next to the slogan "No Limit, Virtually" :D

9. mrwicked

mrwicked

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you buy the xbox component cable it will run at 480P which looks a little better than running via scart. This is the maximum the original xbox will run at so it doesnt matter about your tv not running at 1080i as the xbox wont.

You can get the component cable from www.netpcdirect.co.uk for about £6.00, I got the PS2 version and it runs fine.

10. bradalax

bradalax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for that. At that price I've ordered one. Do I still need to softmode the box then? If So I'll move this part of the discussion to the Xbox forum.

Still waiting for a response from Samsung regards the Tv though!

11. bradalax

bradalax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just received an email from Samsung saying that I would be better off ringing their customer care line. Got the number so I'll ring em in the morning and see what they say.

12. mrwicked

mrwicked

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

No the component cable works perfectly on an unmodded xbox.

13. Sy1441

Sy1441

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    I had problems with using the componet cable from the xbox on that set. There was also big convergence problems when using scart and an xbox aswell

14. bradalax

bradalax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just had a long chat with a technical bod at Samsung. He assures me the set will not downscale a Hi Def image. the only thing it doesn't support is 720p.

I knew when I got it that it didn't have HDMI or DVI, but to be honest that doesn't worry me. I have no intention of subscribing to pricey Hi Def channels with limited content just yet. ;)

I just use it mainly for DVD's and Sky.

Oh Well - we'll see. I got to say I for one am very happy with the set, it does exactly what I bought it for.

Sincerely hope you guys get sorted with your issues. If I'd been after an HD ready set and had been mi-sold this one, I think I would be jumping up and down too.

Ordered my AV cables, they're cheap enough so I'll see what improvement I get. Let my eyes to the testing I suppose.

Thanks again everyone.

:thumbsup:

15. Sy1441

Sy1441

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285

i had the set and was very pleased with it except from the convergence issue which was fixed by samsung. Its a great budget set and i sold mine to my wee brother just before xmas and upgraded to the sony kdfe40a12 as i was getting a 360 and a new htpc so needed component @ 60Hz and VGA

16. boodle

boodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    ive had a reply back from comet, they are exchanging the tv for another model, with me payin the extra differece.

result:smashin:

17. bradalax

bradalax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    nice one Boodle.

So What are you getting and if you don't mind me asking how much extra are you paying toward it?

:thumbsup:

18. boodle

boodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    ill probablt go for the 50 inch sony bravia rptv, provided it fits up my stairs, and if not that, the 42 inch sony.

50 inch is 1218 from comet
    42 inch is 1199 from comet

so ill be paying 500 quid for the upgrade, roughly

19. Padi

Padi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got rid of my samsung (SP42Q2HLX) and went for the same sony 50" as you , Its being deliverd tomorrow :smashin:

20. boodle

boodle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    i got lucky, i went into a comet, to get my sammy changed for the sony. but the sony instore price is 1399 whereas its only 1218 online, so they couldnt price match there own price, so aftyer a little negotiation they decided to refund my sammy, arrange for it to be picked up next week. thing is, they think im going home to buy the sony online from them, but im not, ive ordered it from digital-point.co.uk, 1146 quid, free delivery!:smashin:

ordered it 3pm today, it will be here between 10am and 3pm tommorow, cracking service

comet can kiss my ass, never buying from them again.:nono: