1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung - sp42q2hlx - Any Good ?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by packmanuk, Jul 1, 2005.

1. packmanuk

packmanuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've just seen this model in Macro for £499. I was wondering if anyone had it and could comment on the pq. It says its hdtv ready. Is this true and is it fully hdtv ready ? How do these older rear projection tv's compare to the newer dlp screens ? Any info would be great.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,077
    There's an independent review (they say) of it here:

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/tvreview_197424.htm

It isn't a DLP set, so you may not get the answer you are looking for here in the DLP forum. I'd normally just move your thread, but you have asked for comparisons with DLP so that does make it open either way.

Your choice then - would you like me to move it for you?

By way of a partial answer, generally, CRT RP TVs have a very different "quality" about them to DLP; they have a tendency to suffer convergence and geometry problems and often the image stability (shape changes with brightness) isn't too good.

Having said that, DLPs aren't free of issues either - some have less than perfect geometry (although I don't know why they should) and then there's rainbows.

I guess, since these issues are as much a matter of personal perception and/or what bothers you most, you need to go and take a good look. I doubt you'd get a DLP set for anywhere near that kind of money, though. CRTs do still offer the best ratio of inches per pound.

Bear in mind Makro prices are ex. VAT - so this is really GBP587.

3. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509
    I have both a CRT and DLP rear pro and I can honestly say that the CRT rear pro cant touch my DLP rear pro and the DLP set is 19' bigger. The DLP set first off is HD and the picture is so much better. Brighter, sharper, better blacks, sharper crisper image. My CRT rear pro was around £3000 when I bought it a recieved glowing reviews. Unfortunately it cant touch my DLP for picture quality. I have a few divx rips and they look better on my DLP then the originals do on the CRT rear pro. Try and demo a DLP set and you will see imedately the difference in picture quality. Also bare in mind that DLP sets really do come to life when a HD feed is introduced. The term looking out of a window has been used many a time on HD material and DLP sets.

If you really cant afford a DLP set get a 0% loan on a credit card or mug a few grannies :rolleyes: its well worth it, especially as will probably keep the set for a good 5 years.

Another point is that to replace the guns on a crt set costs well over the £1000 mark meaning that you will have to throw the set in the bin. A dlp set will only cost you £300 to change the bulb. A big difference. I got a quote on my crt rear pro and it was £1300 :eek: For this money I can get a new DLP set.

If were you I would go to a decent AV shop (not currys or comet) and see a dlp set in action. If this is not possible take look for settings for the desired set and tune it to the same. The displays in these large retail stores are rarely setup properly. Then you will appreciate the quality of the picture on a DPL set.

Good Luck and happy shopping :thumbsup:

Heres a link to my set up to give you an idea of a DLP in action.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1633578&postcount=325

4. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya:

I used to have a samsung sp43 crt rear pro before i replaced it with my sammy dlp and i have to agree with razor.
    Dont get me wrong the crt rear pro was very good and is still going strong in my baby brothers house and he loves it, but the dlp is just so much sharper, brighter, more colourful. Its such a different picture.
    The crt is a good way to get into big screens if you cant stretch to a dlp and for the money makro are offering it at, well its a bloody bargain and a half even with the vat. :smashin: