Samsung SP-A900b 1080p DC4 projector

de-dan

Established Member
Reaction score
I came across this but there seems to be little information on it... but it is a DC4 projector from what the little info there is says.... I wonder could a Samsung projector be any good...

this pj is out in the states now and is getting some extremely positive feedback. the main strong points are an awesome lens with the sharpest image and virtually zero chromatic aberration, and dc4 chip with no image noise to speak of. it is v expensive though and sells for more than the planar pj. an unusual paradox in that its predecessor was cheaper in the UK than USA, and this may prove to be the case agin, but i have not seen it for sale here yet.

it seems that if you are awaiting the infocus sp8602, then this samsung is definitely on the shortlist too. though where to get a demo of one ???

Any idea as to what glass lens is inside, Minolta possibly?

good question, but sorry i don't know. i think i heard they were learning the art of lensmaking for their mobile phone lines from some company and may even have produced it themselves but this is pure speculation.

as it uses the dc4 chip , this implies it is a 0.95 rather than the newer smaller 0.65 inch chip.

what has intrigued me is the comparison made to the planar pj , which i was on the verge of buying. i am gonna wait till i have seen this samsung now as well as the infocus sp8602, both of which are imminent as far as i understand.

Thanks for the reply tausifs.

I'm unsure as to how much of an improvement the DC4 offers over the DC3 but I'd bet that it's an incremental one just like going from DC2 to DC3. The lens however must be read high end stuff and this has got me excited, you just can't beat the detail resolved by superior optics and very very few of today's mainstream PJ's aside contain decent lenses.

Planar have built quite a reputation for making good PJ's with decent optics at an affordable price I'm sure that your decision will be a difficult one.

I await more reviews on this beast.

i find it inapropriate that the same lens that is in eg. the in80 goes in the in83. i really liked the dc2 planar pd8130 but the demo one i saw had an awfully loud intermittent buzz from the casing. i wasn't able to see another to reassure myself it was a one off. now i am eager to see this samsung. and it could end up being a darn sight cheaper in the uk than the planar.

This Sammy has been available in the States since June so I'm surprised it isn't available here yet. :confused:

i find it inapropriate that the same lens that is in eg. the in80 goes in the in83.

Unfortunately it is useless marketing the beneficial aspects of having a good piece of glass as opposed to pixel count or contrast figures. The masses just aren't interested in what lens a PJ house's.

I'm eager to demo this in a month or two and really hope that it hit's our shores come Christmas, this could be my next PJ :clap:

The brochure (can't find it in the manual specifically) says that the vertical range is 240%. Subtracting 2 screen heights (200%) leaves 40%, divide by 2 leave 20%.

Unless I've messed up the math, this suggests that the vertical lenshift range is 20% (of a full screen height) above/below the screen HOWEVER the feedback on AVS seems to be that its only 5% above/below ( I have posted asking someone to confirm this). If this is the case then it has significantly less vertical lenshift range than the Planar. But I really wanna see it still !

They also say to avoid this extreme use of lenshift as it causes defocusing of the edges on this model.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom