1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung Sp-50l7hx Price Match?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by kurt_ego, Jun 29, 2005.

1. kurt_ego

kurt_ego
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whats the cheapest place to get a SP-50L7HX from? I am looking to get a price match from John lewis so it needs to be a high st store any input would be apreciated, as i have 1300 ish of john lewis vouchers.
    Kurt

2. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Remember buying from John Lewis you get a full 5 year guarantee & delivery included in the price :smashin: which is currently advertised as £2495 on their website.

Currys in-store price is £2499.99 & you'll only get manufacturer's guarantee & have to pay for delivery aswell.

I've already mentioned in another thread Empire Electrical who have a large store in Bradford (& another one somewhere else around this neck of the woods) and an on-line website store at www.empiredirect.co.uk.

Their on-line price for the SP-50L7HX is currently £1982.65 & if you want delivery then another £50 on top of that or you can pick it up yourself.

Their in-store price for the set is more but if you do buy it in-store they will sell it for the web price if you request this. :smashin:

If I come across anything else I'll let you know :)

3. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Could have sworn I saw it in Currys Purley Way Croydon for £2249...That was a good 2 months back too!

4. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    The price I just given is the price quoted in Currys June leaflet which I picked up yesterday. Didn't look at the price in the shop.

5. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CostCo was the cheapest - there must be easily half a dozen recent threads on this question in the past few weeks.

JL will only price match local within a certain distance - not web, and will not match members clubs like Makro or Costco - some people have 'got lucky' in the past, but those are the ground rules for JL price match.

6. cervaro

cervaro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My local Currys price matched their own web exclusive on their website for me on Monday afternoon. £2199 + paid the extra for the extended warranty. About £200 more than John Lewis all in, but as my nearest JL store is 60 miles away at Bluewater, guess I'm paying for having somewhere nearer to complain to if something went wrong.

7. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    That's interesting.

I must have at least asked on two separate occasions at the same Currys about them matching the price on their website & the sales assistant said NO :mad: which is a bit crazy as it's a sale for Currys & it's the same shop on-line and in the highstreet !

One branch of Comet also said NO to price matching so I wonder if it's worth the while to check out other branches of the same chain & ask about price-matching..... a bit like buying a car ! :rolleyes:

8. droolinggimp

droolinggimp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When i went to currys to demo the sp50.. they said they will match the online price of the currys website.. Also you lot are going on about extended warranties.. According to the manager in currys they dont do these warranties any more.. Thye do a pay as you go cover.. for £20 amonth i think.. If anything whatsoever happens to the tv etc you decide to beat it up or somthing goes wrong they will come and collect it or replace with a new one..

9. cervaro

cervaro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was lucky and got the manager of the store, who actually seemed to know what he was talking about (for once!). Would have ordered online to get my 5% NHS discount too, but the website kept claiming it was out of stock due to high demand! Load of bull. :(

10. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I went into Currys (again) today to check their price. As already mentioned in-store it was also advertised as being £2499 - reduced from £2999.

I ran away because a swarm of sales assistants began their 'do you need any help?' spiel. :mad:

Obviously a lack of customers and they are desperate to make a sale ! :rolleyes:

Also went into Empire Electrical (see my other posting on this thread) & got the same treatment as in Currys !!!

Anyway their 'Megaclub' member's price for the SP-50L7HX is £2199 & this includes their 5 year year warranty which isn't bad. :smashin:

I asked the sales assistant about the lamp being covered under the 5 year warranty. He said he wasn't sure & would have to ring head office though he made no attempt to do so whilst I was there - bit useless. :thumbsdow

11. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny you should say that - when I looked at the Sagem on Monday in Comet in Reading they had Comet liveried POS material on top of it stating that they will match local, special offers, newspaper vouchers, weekend specials and so on.

12. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Bizarre !

Unless I'm losing track of time I'm sure it was Monday that I went to Comet.

I even mentioned to the sales guy about haggling the price, but he said 'no' !

Anyway, when I did mention price-matching John Lewis who sell for £1995 + 5yr guarantee + free delivery he just waffled something about there perhaps being differences between JL's & Comet's extended guarantee.... yeah one covers the bulb (apparently) whilst the other one doesn't ! And apart from that they are no different ! :rolleyes: Don't think I'll bother going back to that particular branch.....

:lesson: This sort of sales behaviour is sort of synonymous with when you're buying a car. Best thing for it if they start talking nonsense is to get up & walk out.

Anyway it seems that Comet branches may have 'local' offers on ??? I say this because last week I was at a different Comet branch & they had half price stand & a couple of other items with 'money back' if bought together with the Sagem. :confused:

Also a guy in one of the threads, not sure if this one, mentioned that one of the JL branches is selling the Sagem for £1799. Though it's still £1995 on their website..... odd :confused:

13. carlstewart

carlstewart
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    got mine from robertsons online £1994.

14. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Yes i think it is down to each individual store. I have been in numerous and found different prices, deals and willingness to haggle or price match.

egsaw a Sagen HD-D45s for £1699 with Set-top box and DVD.

15. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    :lesson: It has come to my attention that in the Currys brochure/leaflet the price that they actually print is given as being a 'guide price'.

There is obviously therefore some room for being able to get a lower price if you were to try. But that is probably dependent on the store you go to :rolleyes: