1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung SP-50L7HX or Panasonic 50" plasma?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Lizzard, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am really confused what to choose, after weeks of trying to decide i have narrowed it down to the Samsung SP-50L7HX DLP TV and the Panasonic TH-50PHW6EX plasma.

I've seen the Samsung and i liked the picture on it, it got everything you could dream of, still it's a RPTV.

The other one, Panny 50" is also excellent i have heard, i have not seen this model so i am based on this forums reputation about it to one of the best 50" plasmas out there.

The prices are the same for the Samsung and Panasonic.

What would you choose and why?

I don't want to regret my investment afterwards.

It's so friggin hard to decide., at least it stands between these two now

2. Capt Morgan

Capt Morgan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Lizzard,

Where you seen the Panny at thei low cost?
    The Samsung is 2700 online, the cheapest I've seen the Panny is ~3300 plus.

Also with the Panny don't you need to purchae a stand and speakers to bring it to the same spec as the Samsung?

3. Salty Seadog

Salty Seadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too am considering the SAMSUNG after being put off by the SAGEM (which I had my heart set on) because of its lack of HDCP compatibility. Do you have a link to the 50” PANASONIC plasma and what is the cheapest that the SAMSUNG is availalabel for (around £2800 last time I checked).

4. Neelix

Neelix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a demo of the Pioneer 50" plasma yesterday (very similar spec to the panny). It was hooked up to a dvd player via HDMI with Gladiator on view. I must admit to being very impressed indeed. The contrast ratio of 1100:1 does not seem very high but the shadow detail and blacks were very good indeed. In fact the manager in Sevenoaks said there is no standardisation for the contrast ratios so manufacturers can get away with printing what they like it would seem. When viewing normal tv via freeview the picture quality was remarkably good with very little artifcating. I then proceeded to hook up my laptop (via PC RGB) to take a look at some 720p WMV HD clips. Well the results were exceptional very similar to the Samsung 50" DLP which I did the same test to earlier this week. The only difference was a black border on the plasma due to it not being a 1:1 pixel map i.e. 1280x720 Obviously for the price the DLP wins hands down but if you like the slim design of plasma with the ability to hang it on the wall then it might sway you. The viewing angle is also better on Plasmas but then I only ever intend on watching from slap bang in the middle. As long as you are not positioned at too tight an angle then the DLPs are fine.

Soooo, in conclusion I am still leaning towards the Samsung and saving a bit of money for extras. It has all the connections you need, looks great and the PQ is fantastic as long as you have a good feed and use the correct connections. I was thinking of buying a HD DVD player with mpeg4 codec (divx/xvid) however with the money saved on the Samsung I may buy a dedicated PC with HDMI to play dvds, xvids, wmv hd films as this should offer the best function of any system and obviously easily upgradeable. Also means I can hook it up to the home network and browse the net. The PQ of windows xp and browsing was brilliant :)

5. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only thing i can't stand is the pixels of the plasmas, i can even see it on the Pioneer 50" plasma.

Is the fillfactor much worse than DLP?

6. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Panny price is not from the U.K.

Yes, i need a separate stand and probably a component board as well, i was thinking putting it on a Ikea Oppli stand.

My main concern with the Samsung is that it is still quite large to move around if you move alot like me from place to place, i live one year in an apartment and then move on again.

Oh forgot to say that the Panny can't accept 720p/50Hz or 1080i/50Hz on the DVI or HDMI boards so you are stucked with the component board or feeding it RGB.

How nice is that eh? Panasonic doesn't seem to care about it.

I could live without DVI/HDMI so it's no big deal really but it's annoying that Panasonic can't get their acts together and do something.

7. sparkymarky

sparkymarky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    the panasonic 50phd7 will sort the issues you mentioned in the last post and its £3600 from av=sales

8. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately not, the problems are still there, read the Final call about DVI/HDMI thread in the plasma screen section.

9. Salty Seadog

Salty Seadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK I went and had another look at the SAMSUNG today and have to admit am falling in love with it although I’m not prepared to pay the whopping £3500 that they are asking for it. Can someone please tell me where is the best place to order one of these sets from ?

10. Neelix

Neelix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. Salty Seadog

Salty Seadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

They are out of stock Mate

12. Salty Seadog

Salty Seadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lizard have you decided on which one to go for yet ?

I have to admit to being a little smitten now with the SAMSUNG (it's quite the seductress)

13. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    I too love the design of the Samsung, looks absolutely awesome (imo)

Were it not for that fact that it's too large for my living area then i'd be seriously considering it at this time.

Was in Currys earlier and was amazed how good a copy of Finding Nemo looked from a dvd (scart only) and share connection at that!

I was only standing 6ft away as well!!

I can only imagine how good this could look if somebody at Currys had the sense to enhance the prospects of actualy selling a unit and hooking it up to a PS DVD/HD feed...

14. Neelix

Neelix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen the Samsung in Curys with Finding Nemo playing through component i.e. PS, and it was pretty poor due to jaggies. Whilst it wass't a devastatingly bad picture it certainly wasn't good enough for something that costs £3.5k !!

15. Salty Seadog

Salty Seadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lizard have you made your choice yet regarding which set to go for ?

I've taken the plunge and have the SAMSUNG on order from unbeatable :)

16. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not yet, i am confused :D

I can get this Panasonic 50" plasma for 4000 euros but i don't know if it's a smart move and i will regret it later when it doesn't support the necessary input-signals types on the digital interfaces.

I like the Samsung, the only problem is that it's quite bulky to move and that is a problem for me.