Samsung SP-50L6HX

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by drb5, Aug 29, 2005.

1. drb5

drb5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Having been browsing the forums here and taking some excellent information away to the shops, with me, i was nearly convinced into buying the Sagem HD-D45, but i've now found a TV that is beginning to sway me and am looking for info on that from you guy's as it hasn't been discussed yet.

It's called a Samsung SP-50L6HX. I haven't spelt that wrong, it isn't the L7 and i can only find one distributor, Robertsons Direct at £1444.

Anyone have any opinion's on it? Just to let you know, £1600 was the ABSOLUTE maximum i was willing to pay, must have HD Ready and be at least 37".

I prefer the look of the Panny's, but cost is prohibitive on them, so they're out the window, cheers. :cool:

2. drb5

drb5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
  3. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya: drb5

Welcome to the forums.

If the SP50L6 is anything like Samsungs other dlp offerings then it should be a very good set, if you havent watched a dlp set before then try demoing at currys or somewhere else to see if you suffer from the rainbow effect, bear in mind though that tvs are always set up crap in these stores. I would imagine the
    SP50L6 has the same tech as the SP46L6 which my mate got and its very good IMO. :smashin:

4. drb5

drb5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Thanks for the welcome Br14n. :D

I have been into Comet, where i seen it on Analogue and TBH, i wasn't impressed.

The Samsung 46" DLP looked better, but still didn't give me the definition i wanted, from a NON HD picture.

I then took a browse again through the Plasma's and even without the HD on it, the Samsung PS42S5HX/XEU still looked like a great picture.

My new flat is going to be fairly large, but maybe after seeing the size of picture, unit itself, anything larger than 42" is maybe OTT.

Would i be wrong in then considering the PS42S5H?

Sorry for changing what i'm looking at, but there's no many to choose from and i can't afford the Panny's. :(

5. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya:

If size is an issue id measure the SP46 as i dont think theres a big diff in size from the PS42. You really need a good demo, i got them to set up an sp50 with a dvd fed by component and played with the settings at the store and the difference was astounding. Some of my mates have plasmas and i dont think they're anywhere near as good as dlp but its down to personal choice.
    Have a search through the dlp forum and you'll see lots of pics of dlps in action but definately try to get a good demo. :smashin:

6. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Most plasma demos that I saw, before getting the Sammy 46" DLP, were running very bright demos. This is probably because plasmas are really good at the brighter "GMTV" style picture, but very poor at darer "Se7en" pictures. Basically, I couldn't see what the black levels were like on the in store demos, until I asked. I found that plasma tech is still poor when it comes to defining a black scene, appearing rather grey instead (though the Panasonic something500 42" Plasma was not bad). That is why I got the DLP in the end.
    Just make sure, when you demo next, you have a decent feed into the set with a HDMI or DVI-D lead. Sometimes the stores have these sets running with SCARTS set to composite or component from a £50 DVD player... :rolleyes:

Plasmas also tended to have a lower resolution that DLP, but I don't know why this would be??

Russell

7. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    The thing to do is to demo with the sort of set up you've got at home. It's all well and good viewing an excellant HD in-store picture but it doesn't mean a lot if you're viewing TV via Freeview or Sky using Scart.

This is purely down to expense, currently it's not cost-effective nor may it be in fact possible to produce a 42" plasma panel with a resolution of at least 1280x720.

8. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    drb5 - to echo what br14n (why do I feel I like I am talking to droids? :D ) says, don't go off the standard in-store set ups.

I demoed several sets and they all benefited from me playing with the stores settings, sometimes dramatically improving the picture. Also bear in mind that most TV stores use a distributed RF feed that is usually rubbish.

I bought the Samsung 46 incher after some pretty impressive in-store demos, but when I got it home and really took the time to tweak its settings (not to mention giving it a better feed) the improvement in PQ was dramatic.