Samsung soundbar high pitch buzz/whistle at low volume

Gavi101

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Desperately need some help.
I have inherited a Samsung hw-h751 (similar to hw h750) 4.1Ch soundbar that was in storage and missing power supply. I ended up buy a Samsung power supply from Aliexpress.

After plugging it in the power seems to be working and sounds really good however at low volume i get a buzzing , whistling noise. Not noticeable when the volume is at a high level. And its driving me mad. Hoping someone can advise or help ?
It starts buzzing/whistling when the power button is turned on and stops when the power is turned off. I have removed all hdmi cords etc and buzzing whistles exists.

I have taken a video.

One thing to note is that the soundbar was missing the orig power supply so i purchased the oem power supply (A6324_DSM) from overseas however the one i got sent was :
A6024_DSM ... Input 100-240V 1.5A 50/60Hz .. Output 24V 2.5A 60W

which is slight different from the original power supply which is

A6324_DSM .. Input :100-240V 1.5A 50/60Hz .. Output :24v 2,625A 63W

So could this be the cause of the buzzing whistle possibly ? The only difference i can see is that Output Amps is slightly lower (2.5A) to the original and the W (60w) is slightly lower.

I have attached a vid with sound of the issue. Hope someone can help

Thnx in advance

Attachments

• VID_20210331_210239.zip
    4.8 MB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Was your video supposed to demonstrate the problem? If so it's too short at just 7 seconds and appears to have a silent soundtrack. With regard to the spec of the power supply. The 60 watt rating of the one you purchased is comfortably more than the soundbar's specified maximum operating power consumption of 49 watts so it should be up to the job. It's not impossible that it's not working correctly of course. The only way to prove that would be to try another one.

Assuming you have one, have you fitted the ferrite core to the power supply's power cord as described on page 14 of the user manual which Samsung says will reduce noise caused by electromagnetic radiation?

However I'd have thought the most likely cause of any audible noise is going to be one of the valves in the soundbar's valve amplifier which is definately a very unusual if not unique feature to find on a soundbar.

JB

Was your video supposed to demonstrate the problem? If so it's too short at just 7 seconds and appears to have a silent soundtrack. With regard to the spec of the power supply. The 60 watt rating of the one you purchased is comfortably more than the soundbar's specified maximum operating power consumption of 49 watts so it should be up to the job. It's not impossible that it's not working correctly of course. The only way to prove that would be to try another one.

Assuming you have one, have you fitted the ferrite core to the power supply's power cord as described on page 14 of the user manual which Samsung says will reduce noise caused by electromagnetic radiation?

However I'd have thought the most likely cause of any audible noise is going to be one of the valves in the soundbar's valve amplifier which is definately a very unusual if not unique feature to find on a soundbar.

JB

Hi JB .

Appreciate your reply.
I had to shorten the vid about 4 times in order for it to be allowed to attach. Yes, there is sound but you have to turn up your volume to hear the high pitch noise. I will try to load another vid with better sound as the quality probably deteriorated after me trying to compress it.

Yes i added the ferrite core that was on the subwoofer cord to the Soundbar power cord and it made no difference.

My suspicion is the valve tube as well. Hoping someone can tell me how to ,if possible , to bypass the valve tube or disconnect them. Or if its possible how to replace them and instructions on how to do this ?

thnx in advance
Gav

I've not been able to find any tips on how to open the soundbar but if you can figure out how to do it you could then maybe identify the valves used. If the valves were socketed instead of soldered in place then it might be quite straightforward to replace them and see if that solves the problem. I did find one YouTube video put up by someone repairing another Samsung soundbar (not one with valves) which had a similar fault and he found it was a noisy inductor that was the culprit. I don't think that would be a job for someone without previous electronics experience however.

Alternatively if you wanted to rule out your replacement power supply as the cause of the problem then buying one of these would be a relatively cheap way of doing it:
Amazon product ASIN B076F224P9
JB

I've not been able to find any tips on how to open the soundbar but if you can figure out how to do it you could then maybe identify the valves used. If the valves were socketed instead of soldered in place then it might be quite straightforward to replace them and see if that solves the problem. I did find one YouTube video put up by someone repairing another Samsung soundbar (not one with valves) which had a similar fault and he found it was a noisy inductor that was the culprit. I don't think that would be a job for someone without previous electronics experience however.

Alternatively if you wanted to rule out your replacement power supply as the cause of the problem then buying one of these would be a relatively cheap way of doing it:
Amazon product ASIN B076F224P9
JB

Thnx JB. Appreciate you getting back to me. I have ordered a power supply, just waiting for it to turn up. Lets see how that goes. Will update soon

Thnx JB. Appreciate you getting back to me. I have ordered a power supply, just waiting for it to turn up. Lets see how that goes. Will update soon
HI, how did you get on with this? I've had the same issue - samsung soundbar taken out of storage, replacement power lead and annoying high pitch whistle that's most noticeable at low volumes - wondering whether it's worth getting a different power lead... Ta

HI, how did you get on with this? I've had the same issue - samsung soundbar taken out of storage, replacement power lead and annoying high pitch whistle that's most noticeable at low volumes - wondering whether it's worth getting a different power lead... Ta
Same model?

Same model?
No, it's a HW-K430, narrowed down the issue though - I was using Bluetooth when the sound occurred, when using a double aux jack with the same source (mobile phone) instead, the high pitch sound goes. Tried moving the phone and soundbar around in case of any interference, no change via Bluetooth. So presumably an issue with the Bluetooth link itself / software. Will use the workaround for now and investigate potential software updates when I get chance. Thanks anyway!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom