Samsung/Sony

P

paulhazell

I am now torn between the Sony 50" and the Samsung pedestal model.
I have followed the extensive thread regarding the Sony and it all seems very impressive.
My question really i guess now is regarding price versus quality.
Does the price difference between the two sets make a justifiable difference in quality?

Please see my thread from the HIDEF forum for more details and previous advice;
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259283

neilmcl

Personally I think the price for the Samsung L7 is no longer justified considering that there are equally as good models coming from the same manufacturer and others that are much cheaper. You're paying as much for the design of the pedestal concept as you are for any increase in quality.

T

tiburs

neilmcl said:
Personally I think the price for the Samsung L7 is no longer justified considering that there are equally as good models coming from the same manufacturer and others that are much cheaper. You're paying as much for the design of the pedestal concept as you are for any increase in quality.
Design has a price definitely and in my opinion it worths it.
Also the L7 pedestal has been confirmed for more than 1 year now as one of the best PQ DLP set currently available. This has a price too. Anyway I'm surprised about the prices mentionned. Here in France it could be easily found around 2400 € (1600 £), what could explain that difference ?

P

paulhazell

Thanks for that.
So if i was to rule out the pedestal Samsung how about the 46" Samsung in comparison to the 50" Sony.
I know there has already been a lot of discussion here on that topic but i can't find too much on the tecnological differences between Sony's 3LCD and Samsungs DLP systems. Is one "better" than the other and if so for what reason?

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
One is not "better" than the other. They are different, and each does it's job in a different way, giving subtly different results.

The major difference is in the way colour is produced. A DLP set (currently) produces colour by sequentially showing you an image which is all red, all green, and all blue, and relies on your brain merging the three. A few people have difficulty with this - hence mention of rainbows, eyestrain, fatigue, headache.

The image produced by a 3LCD system is constant, full colour, and completely flicker free. Some consider it more relaxing to watch.

DLP is a reflective process. 3LCD is transmissive. Meaning the light from the projection lamp is made into an image by either reflecting (DLP, or transmitting (LCD) varying amounts of it. DLP can filter out more light, where the image is meant to be black, so contrast levels are somewhat better. 3LCD tends to have greyness where the image is black. But advances in this area, together with dynamic iris techniques go a long way towards narrowing the difference.

Really - you need to choose which YOU prefer.

P

paulhazell

Thanks very much for that. I have had absolutely no success getting anyone in a store to explain the difference to me, not that this comes as much of a surprise.

As to which set i personally prefer that is a bit more difficult.
I love the Samsungs looks but they are of little or no importance in the end. PQ has to be the all important factor.
The Sony is a very attractive price and to my eye seems to have very little PQ difference to the samsung other than perhaps not looking quite as vivid. This could of course be down to the set up of the sets and the conditions under which i viewed them.

I think perhaps i am getting too loaded down with the technical spec and forgetting that this is going to be a huge leap up from my current 28" CRT set!

One other thing i have seen references to in these forums is upscaling DVD players.
Can anyone explain this process to me please. Would it improve the picture quality of my DVD's which are currently played on a Denon player (cant remember the model number but it has a 6 in it, has DVD audio and is a good few years old now).

kourosh

LV426 said:
One is not "better" than the other. They are different, and each does it's job in a different way, giving subtly different results.

The major difference is in the way colour is produced. A DLP set (currently) produces colour by sequentially showing you an image which is all red, all green, and all blue, and relies on your brain merging the three. A few people have difficulty with this - hence mention of rainbows, eyestrain, fatigue, headache.

The image produced by a 3LCD system is constant, full colour, and completely flicker free. Some consider it more relaxing to watch.

DLP is a reflective process. 3LCD is transmissive. Meaning the light from the projection lamp is made into an image by either reflecting (DLP, or transmitting (LCD) varying amounts of it. DLP can filter out more light, where the image is meant to be black, so contrast levels are somewhat better. 3LCD tends to have greyness where the image is black. But advances in this area, together with dynamic iris techniques go a long way towards narrowing the difference.

Really - you need to choose which YOU prefer.

what would you choose lv if you had a choice between dlp and 3lcd :confused: :rolleyes: honest opinion please ;)

sirp

i for one do not see rainbows, from my viewing on rear proj tv and projectors. However, i can feel eye strain/headache after viewing for 10-20 mins, i put this down to DLP technology. This is what is swaying me towards getting the sony set myself.

like everyone says, its how 'you' view it that counts. Everyones eyes view things, including colours differently, so everyones opinion of visual entertainment will differ..trust only your own opinion.

neilmcl

paulhazell said:
One other thing i have seen references to in these forums is upscaling DVD players.
Can anyone explain this process to me please. Would it improve the picture quality of my DVD's which are currently played on a Denon player (cant remember the model number but it has a 6 in it, has DVD audio and is a good few years old now).
Say for example you're new TV has a screen resolution of 1280x720 then whatever picture you pass it the TV itself will upscale the image resolution to match the screens native resolution so a PAL signal of 576 will be upscaled to the screens resolution of 720. An upscaling DVD player simply does the upscaling itself before passing the image to the TV.

The big question as to whether it is a good thing depends upon whether the DVD player's scaling engine is better than the screen. There is an argument that using a decent progressive DVD player to connected via component will give just as good as a result as a similarly priced upscaling player.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
kourosh said:
what would you choose lv if you had a choice between dlp and 3lcd :confused: :rolleyes: honest opinion please ;)
3LCD. No question. Very very refresh/flicker/rainbow sensitive.

kourosh

LV426 said:
3LCD. No question. Very very refresh/flicker/rainbow sensitive.
cheers,have you looked at the new 3lcd if so whats your views on it :thumbsup:

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
I like the styling of it. I've only briefly looked at various display models in shops, but not gone to the extent of tweaking or changing sources......and, on that basis, it looks just fine. If was in the market for a big TV (I'm not; I'm a front projection man - and, yes, it's 3LCD) then this would be high on my list of things to evaluate more - alongside direct view LCD and Plasma.

kourosh

LV426 said:
I like the styling of it. I've only briefly looked at various display models in shops, but not gone to the extent of tweaking or changing sources......and, on that basis, it looks just fine. If was in the market for a big TV (I'm not; I'm a front projection man - and, yes, it's 3LCD) then this would be high on my list of things to evaluate more - alongside direct view LCD and Plasma.

its always good to know what other members have and pref,have you seen the new sony sxrd front projector?would it interest you?

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Is that the "Ruby"? I'd be interested, yes. There's still some life left in my VW10, though, so, unless I come into money, it'll be a while, and maybe yet another model by then......
We should get back onto the subject of Rear projection, though.

kourosh

LV426 said:
Is that the "Ruby"? I'd be interested, yes. There's still some life left in my VW10, though, so, unless I come into money, it'll be a while, and maybe yet another model by then......
We should get back onto the subject of Rear projection, though.

thats the one :smashin: if you ever come into a bit of money let me know ;) :thumbsup: but yea your right lets get back on the rear pro :oops:

Trending threads

Trending threads

Top Bottom