Samsung SmartThings UK and light control

MrMav11

Anyone got Samsung SmartThings (in UK), and have some kind of light control?

Rather than individual lamp replacement, I'd prefer a light switch replacement /addition to control all the lights on that bank. All my house is LED GU10, non dimmable.

I've read on Samsung SmartThings compatibility that there is some kind of switch you can put inside the light switch, wiring it to the switch. One doesn't work with 2 wire system, mostly used in UK, so there's only one. Anyone got them?

Few questions on it...

1) Don't want dimmable as my LEDs can't so is this ok, can it be made just an on/off

2) In some rooms I have 1 light switch unit with 2 switches on for 2 banks, can this be used for both?

3) Can my existing switch be still used

4) Can it be switched on/off normally from the wall switch, and switched using SmartThings when needed, e.g. If it's switched in the off position can it still be switched on using SmartThings?

5) My LEDs are 4W, is there a minimum or maximum needed on the circuit

6) The units don't seem cheap, Hue probably better, but easier application, any offers our good places to get it?

Alex Brock

***read my next post, this may not be compatible***

Relay Switch (2x 1.5kW)
This will do 2 lighting circuits as a switch only. It goes behind the switch as long as there is space, and the switch will operate as a regular switch. No minimum load, but 1500w max per chanel. It also works in a 2 wire configuration (no neutral).

Last edited:

MrMav11

Relay Switch (2x 1.5kW)
This will do 2 lighting circuits as a switch only. It goes behind the switch as long as there is space, and the switch will operate as a regular switch. No minimum load, but 1500w max per chanel. It also works in a 2 wire configuration (no neutral).
Where's the price please? It only has trade only on that page?

This is the SmartThings uk list, is it on here please?
Compatible Products

So using this if the switch is off, you can still turn lights on remotely etc?

Alex Brock

Apologies, I understood that smartthings was fully zwave compatible, looks like I was wrong. I wouldn't risk it if it's not on their compatibility list.

It lets the switch act as a normal switch, but also a remote switch via app. But this is with a zwave control hub. To public the price is roughly £50 I believe.

MrMav11

fibaro relays 2x1.5kw will do 2 lighting circuits. they can either be fitted behind the light switch or in the ceiling at the first light in the circuit.

this is an example - Fibaro FGS-221 Double On/Off Relay Switch: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
Great thanks, I'm happy to but if these do the job, although a little more expensive than I thought.

I have GU10 LEDs so I could find where these are and put it in the ceiling, or so have plasterboard walls, maybe even hang them beside the back box of the light switch?

Anyone used them? Specifically with SmartThings?

Thanks

Swynol

i have seen them around the £40 mark. i dont think you will find relay's that will control 2 circuits any cheaper.

they are tiny and if you have plaster board walls then they will be easy to fit as the back boxes can be replaced easily for deeper ones. I've not used them but will be soon. there's a few threads on the smart things community regarding them.

SmartThings Community

MrMav11

i have seen them around the £40 mark. i dont think you will find relay's that will control 2 circuits any cheaper.

they are tiny and if you have plaster board walls then they will be easy to fit as the back boxes can be replaced easily for deeper ones. I've not used them but will be soon. there's a few threads on the smart things community regarding them.

SmartThings Community
Thanks will read up, its something I really want, I want to be able for security have lights come on/off. I also have some easybulbs but these are individual, bought them before SmartThings, and not directly without "hacks" to use with SmartThings.

Where have you seen them for £40 please? I prefer Amazon though. Whats the difference between the 222 and 221 and 211 and 212 though please? all around same price on Amazon?

When you click on the compatibility list on ST website Compatible Products it just links to the Fibaro website, the link from a Universal dimmer, not direct to specific product.

Sorry just want to make sure I get the correct one, and fully compatible with ST.
thanks

Last edited:

MrMav11

Another thing to be aware of is the relays require a neutral, so your option may be at the light, or pull a neutral down to the switch. Hopefully you have a 3 wire system already.

Z-Wave Fibaro Relay Insert 2 * 1.5 KW | Vesternet

211 is 2x 1.5kw
212 is 2x 2.5kw
221 is 1x 3kw

I might be wrong on these.
Ah is that only difference, the KW rating and the 221 suggested above is only 1 switch. Mine are all low power LED GU10 in the house now, no more than 40W total in one room so well under.

Don't think my lights are 3 wire, thought these did 2 and 3 wire?

Swynol

seen them on ebay/amazon for £40 but you have to keep looking.

there's a few different versions. from what i remember -
FGS 211 is 1 x 2.5kw relay.
FGS 212 is 2 x 1.5kw relay
FGS 221 is 1 x 2.5kw relay (newer version of 211 to meet newer standards)
FGS 222 is 2x 1.5kw relay (newer version of 212 as above)

from reading the smartthings community the relays even though aren't on the compatibility list work fine as relays, however fibaro also have in built power monitor and temp monitors which i dont think are supported unless using scripts/work arounds.

the dimmer modules follow the same numbering as above but start with FGD 212 etc

I've just found a site that sell them slightly cheaper, i have PM'd you as not to break any rules. also i think @Aclass Technology supply them.

i will say though that i havent used them yet but as soon as my hub is working i will be using a mix of the fibaro FGS222 and FGD222/212

Swynol

the dimmers defiantly support 2 and 3 wire installs. not sure on the relays.

another pro to these is that you can use either toggle or momentary switches with fibaro relay.

MrMav11

the dimmers defiantly support 2 and 3 wire installs. not sure on the relays.

another pro to these is that you can use either toggle or momentary switches with fibaro relay.
So are the dimmers the 221? States on that link that needs neutral wire, i.e. 3 wire.

I don't want to change my current wall switches either, so can I keep them, use them still as normal on/off and whatever position still used ST to switch lights on/off.

Thanks

Alex Brock

Thank swynol, I got my model numbers mixed up. I'm sure the dimmers are 2 wire and 3 wire, and the relays are 3 wire only.

And apologies to Aclass Technology, the only reason I didn't link that he sells them is because they aren't on his website.

MrMav11

Don't want dimmers, switch on/off is fine, but presume (haven't checked yet) my house being recent in UK is only 2 wire....

Swynol

just looking now and it seems the dimmers can be 2 or 3 wire but the relay needs 3 wire.

relay FGS 221 is 1x 2.5kw relay
dimmer FGD 211 is the dimmer module

Alex Brock

Best to open up a switch and have a look.
3 wire:- If it's old colours you'll have a terminal block of some form with 2 or more blacks in it, and reds to the switch terminals, if it's new colours you it will be blue in the terminal block and browns in the switch terminals.

2 wire:- old colours will have a red and a black with some red sleeving in the switch, and no other connections, new colours will have a brown and a blue with brown sleeving.

Alex Brock

Swynol is right, most new houses do. Unfortunately my parents new house was built only 4 years ago and it is 2 wire. That was a surprise to me. Correct me if I'm wrong but the IET stance on it is that the electrician should "consider" having a neutral at the switch. This is just from memory.

MrMav11

Still haven't ordered as worried on compatibility, heres a screenshot of the fully compatible ST, and nothing about specific Fibaro 212 etc, just a switch.

Also the wiring, I don't want it for a 2 way lighting, as in one top of stairs , one bottom. I want it to control 2 separate banks of lighting controlled from 1 wall switch that has 2 switches, is this possible?

Looks like I have 2 wire wiring, as expected, as well.

Attachments

• ST.png
    ST.png
    111.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Alex Brock

If you have a 2 wire system then the only one that will work is the dimmer. The relay requires a neutral. If you have to control 2 seperate banks of lights then you'd need 2 dimmers. You mentioned your leds are non-dimmable which rules that out.

You can mount the relay in the ceiling at the point of the first light in the circuit (where the switch wire and live loop terminals are). If you're unsure call your local friendly neighborhood sparky!

I bet someone has managed to get the relays working with smartthings, so it's probably possible.

Swynol

with the 2 banks of lights if you do have 3 wires then the 2x1.5kw relay will do otherwise if you have 2 wire then you will need 2 dimmers (so more expense)

if you order online then the distance selling rules apply so you can return it. have you spoken with @Aclass Technology ? he may have ideas to help you out.

after xmas i will be getting the fibaro relay for my smart things so if you can wait i can update ou then

Thanks for all the plugs but we dont support SmartThings as dont like the way it operates in the cloud especially for custom devices. Lose internet and potentially lose Automation.

All programming has to be done on the app on your smart device which can be a pain if doing lots of copying and pasting.

We will of course keep looking at SmartThings but at the moment seems a little creaky around the edges

Seb

MrMav11

Thanks for all the plugs but we dont support SmartThings as dont like the way it operates in the cloud especially for custom devices. Lose internet and potentially lose Automation.

All programming has to be done on the app on your smart device which can be a pain if doing lots of copying and pasting.

We will of course keep looking at SmartThings but at the moment seems a little creaky around the edges

Seb
Not all is cloud. There is some direct hub control.

Not all programming is done on smartphone. You can log into web and do copy and paste there.

Thanks for info anyway

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware