Samsung Smarthub problem - Nice discovery!

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by vedcim, Mar 5, 2013.

1. vedcim

vedcim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear all,

With the latest outage with Samsung' smarthub, like many of you I couldn't access Netflix.

Then I remembered that I had Netflix on my blu-ray player; I connected to Netflix and resumed watching a movie previously viewed on the Samsung/Smarthub.

Surprise!! I couldn't believe my eyes. The image was crystal pure, just wonderful... When Netflix released "Superhd" I didn't see any difference on my 65" serie 8000 tv. While the image seemed better on my Sony 46" + Apple tv, I thought that the size could explain the loss of quality.

But now I realize that the 65" + my blu-ray player + Netflix produce a much, much better image than when using Samsung built-in Netflix player. Go figure (after all the smarthub is built into the tv).

Yesterday when the service (smarthub) returned, I did some tests, comparing both (blu-ray netflix -vs- Samsung Netflix) and there is no contest... for me it is "bye bye" smarthub!

In the end, I think I paid for not a so "smart tv". The processor/video engine is probably of a lesser quality than the one built into my Panasonic video player.

If you have a blu-ray with Netflix, give it a try and compare with samsung' app..

Regards
    François

2. mr steve

mr steve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's interesting to me as I am thinking of getting a new blu ray payer to access smart features rather than buying a smart tv. I was looking at a panasonic 330 or 500 but once the novelty has warn off I don't imagine myself using the Internet or twitter on the tv. I would always use iPad for that. Does anyone really use smart features other than catch up tv / films?

I would like love film rather than Netflix which as I understand it is not on panasonic's platform. What blu ray model do you have? I think I would go for a samsung if I don't get the panny as I have read good things about their smart features. Anyone have any suggestions on smart platforms.

I have noticed that my free sat tuner gives me a better hd picture than sky hd which as you point out makes me think is the smart really any better on a tv than it is in a bluray payer?

I have used a ps3 with love film but have never been too impressed with the picture quality. I didn't know Netflix did "super hd", any idea if love film will follow suit?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  3. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,113
    Loveflim are dragging their heels on everything they really have to get their act together. If your looking for Loveflim support you might want to check LG Blu-ray as it's on their smart TV platforms.

Whether the video scaler/post processing on BD players actually helps Netflix is something I would caution on, maybe for that model vedcim it did but that doesn't mean it will work for all. Some of the smart TV vendors dont give you a whole lot of control over the display settings on in-built apps so having proper controls via a standard input with a netflix box running through that could explain the difference.

4. vedcim

vedcim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Mr Steve,

My blu-ray player is a Panasonic DMP-BDT320. I don't know which apps are included for the UK/European market but you could check easily I think. (Lovefilm may be available, but on their site I found reference only for Samsung, Sony and LG blu-ray players).

About video quality difference, I have the feeling that Samsung (for their TVs) is using some rather cheap onboard computer/video decode for their smart TV. Last night I tried my Apple Tv2 (720p not 1080) and again, the image was better than Samsung' built-in Netflix.

You're asking if I'm using "smart features"... NO, only streaming films/tv and I can do that with my blu-ray player and/or my iPad + Apple Tv. With display mirroring you can display whatever is on your iPad screen to your tv easily. AllShare works only 50% of the time, is slow, cumbersome.

All those smarts features seemed attractive (everything in one device) but the implementation is badly done, slow, unstable and now I realise that video quality suffers a lot.

Get an Apple Tv/roku etc with the apps that you are looking for and features that you need and don't bother with the "smart" features of a Tv.

This week we realised that we need Samsung network to access Netflix and other services... what will happen in 3-4-5 years from now, how long does Samsung must support its smart features? Then what will happen when Samsung pulls the plug... you will end-up with a "not too smart tv";)

My 2 cents
    François

5. ovbg

ovbg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I have also noticed video quality differences between using Netflix on my Samsung Smart TV platform and my Apple TV. But I think this is down to the app itself rather than the platform.

I find the BBC iPlayer video quality on the Samsung platform to be excellent.

What I did notice is that the wi-fi on my Samsung TV is quite unreliable. Sometimes I have brilliant signal and other times it drops quite bad - something the Apple TV right under it doesn't have a problem with. This could be one of the reasons why the video quality on the Samsung Netflix app also fluctuates as when the wi-fi signal quality drops, the adaptive bitrate on Samsung's Netflix drops as well.

In general though, the video quality is better on my Apple TV, although that doesn't highlight any films as being SuperHD, where as the Samsung Netflix App does. The Apple app is far more pleasant to look at, but the Samsung app has a far better FFW/REW feature and clearly shows which films and TV shows I have seen (handy for coming back to a series after a long pause)

The Apple TV and Roku box have a faster and more responsive UI than the Samsung platform, but the Samsung Platform has far more usable UK apps:
    Samsung Smart TV: BBC iPlayer, BBC Sport, ITV Player, Demand 5, Netflix, Lovefilm, Crackle and 4oD coming soon.
    Apple TV: Netflix (iTunes)
    Roku: BBC iPlayer, Now TV, Crackle

So it's sort of Swings and Roundabouts really. The Samsung Smart TV platform has shown it has had reliability issues recently and it's UI isn't as pretty as Apple TV's or Roku's, but it offers a LOT more worthwhile UK apps. Netflix on the Samsung platform does show quality issues which are not as frequent as on other platforms like the Apple TV, but not all apps show these issues - the iPlayer for instance is excellent.

6. vedcim

vedcim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ovbg,

Good comments.

The latest Apple TV (version 3) that supports 1080p should play and display SuperHD. Since I only have a V2 I can't say for sure, but it is my guess.

What I wanted to point out in my first post, was that if you have a blu-ray player or apple tv/roku, to test its built-in apps -vs- the tv built-in apps; some apps may provide better video quality, some may not.

François

7. mr steve

mr steve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the info you mention display mirroring, the panasonic bdt330 is out next month and comes with miracast which I like the idea of. Do you know if this works with iPad and iPhone? As far as I can tell this only works with android. The panasonic tv works with iPad but they call it swipe and share, is this a different technology? I don't have android devices and don't want an Apple TV and a new blu ray.

8. vedcim

vedcim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apple products compatible with something else than Apple... nah:D For the 330 I don't know its specs, but what I know is that Apple is only compatible with itself usually but who knows... will see

From a review I read about the 330:
    From what I read about "Swipe and share" its seems to be an updated version of samsung' "Allshare", which is not really display mirroring, displaying photos and video from your tablet/phone on the tv, not the whole content (but I could be wrong...)

Regards
    François

9. mr steve

mr steve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yep same old apple problem buggering up what should be a simple task. Since Christmas I have had a real urge to treat myself to something gadgety but can't decide what, upgrade my blu ray or av amp, Apple TV?
    Looking to waste/invest about £300 or is that a whole other thread.

Excuse my ignorance I notice you are a new user, I am struggling with this site trying to find a FAQ or help section. I have filled out my kit list in my profile but it doesn't display under my posts any ideas? Also how do you reply highlighting part of a post.

Thanks in advance

10. JonnyTester

JonnyTester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    You see, this is the main reason I decided to go for a Samsung tv without "smart" features. Anything they can do, I can get with my HTPC and XBMC or my tivo. Its just a couple of hundred quid extra I would be better off keeping in my pocket. My HTPC cost me under £100 to build and I have my LG blu-ray/hd-dvd rewriter I bought a few years back in it for disc playback. Now, I think that was the "smart" move.