Samsung Smart TV reading USB Drive issues.

Eric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I backup my movies to USB drive in mkv file format.

If I plug the USB drive directly into the TV, it plays fine. However, if I plug the drive into my modem, it does not see them. If I change the extension to .avi it see's them, but obviously does not play them.

What would cause this?

Thanks

i presume your modem runs some sort of DLNA server, it sounds like te DLNA server doesn't support hosting MKV files

Not sure! It's the latest one that O2 send out. I will check.
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah your DLNA server doesn't support it, there's no cheap fix either. Basically you would have to share from the PC/laptop with something like Serviio and the TV will able to access the media.

If you were to replace the router or purchase a NAS there would be very little point, for the same money you could buy a media player like a WDTV Live which could read your existing router/USB drive combo via the SMB network protocol (what PC's use).

Thanks for the information, I think I will stick to plugging the drive into the TV directly.

sorry to bring this back, but i have just got a new samsung smart tv. I noticed that you said the TV will playback mkv files direct from usb? Is this true for HD and 3D content? No conversion needed?

sorry to bring this back, but i have just got a new samsung smart tv. I noticed that you said the TV will playback mkv files direct from usb? Is this true for HD and 3D content? No conversion needed?

Depends on the model you buy and Samsung media player generally does not handle raw Blu-ray sources.

I've been trying for a while to sort this. I've found out you have to format the USB to NTFS. Just trying to do trial & error to see which file format can be read. So far avi doesn't. Currently transferring m4v file across. After reading this, will try mkv file. (3D movie btw). Will update when I have found a workable solution...hopefully :)

i got mine working but by streaming mkv 3D SBS files straight from laptop using Twonky. Works great. Download and stream, no conversion needed.

Just dragges across an mkv 3d movie & TV says "unsupported file format" It does see the USB stick though. Think I'll try the Twonky way unless anyone else has any ideas?

Update: Gave up in the end & went for the idiot-proof option. Convert to iTunes with Visual Hub & play through apple TV. Could have saved myself a lot of techy stress if I'd just done this in the first place! :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom