Samsung Smart TV - iPlayer LoveFilm missing apps?

andym99

Novice Member
Reaction score
Just purchased a lovely new Samsung UE40ES5500 TV - installed and woking perfectly...

...until I hit the app store and can't find either BBC iPlayer and LoveFilm - 2 apps which Samsung is marketing pretty strongly for its Smart TVs - the salesman in John Lewis mentioned a recent problem around an update for iPlayer, but thought that had been resolved.

Am I missing something? Are they there? Do I need to update or just be patient? Any help gratefully received.

Andy

Hi and welcome to the forum.
They're both normally in the half dozen or so applications that Samsung keep prominent in the list.
Use the message system at MySamsung to find out why they're missing from yours.
Logi

Thank you Logi - the software update says my version is 1012 - while other posts i've seen have referenced a higher number - but my TV says no new updates - can I do something here?

Frustrating not been able to use what i was looking forward to...

Yes, they're useful applications and they ARE standard on Sammys.
You don't need to do anything with the TV - as I said get Samsung to get them up and running on yours.

Last edited:
To reply to my own question - spoke to Samsung yesterday and was told they're working on new versions of the apps for the 2012 model TVs - I was assured they'd be ready during May, and that the TV would prompt an update if it was always connected to the net

So my 2010 Sammy does it fine, and 2012s don't.:confused:

Yeah, go figure...

I just checked and (sneakily?) neither of the apps are shown on the smart tv home screen shown on the box - (see below) although BBC News is, and that app is also missing. Really hoping they will turn up in May as the TV itself is an awesome bit of kit. Bluray player and soundbar+subwoofer combo next on the list...

Last edited:
I have the same problem with my 46ES6560 and was told by the man in john lewis they are waiting for an update

Hi Andy,

Just bought the same TV as you and have the same problem. Pretty frustrating when those two apps (love film and iplayer) were one of the main reasons I bought a smart TV! The guy from Curry's rang Samsung and got a very similar response to you and said it should be sorted within the week but over two weeks later and nothing.

Guess we'll just have to be patient. Have you got any further forward with it?

Steve

Just been on the samsung website and copied the small print at the bottom of the page on apps

App Status Update
Samsung Electronics strives to offer the widest choice and most up to date apps on its range of Smart TVs. A number of apps are currently undergoing development ahead of a firmware upgrade and are therefore presently unavailable on our 2012 televisions. The BBC iPlayer, Blinkbox, and Acetrax apps are in testing and should be available by 31st May, with the LOVEFiLM app to follow by 30th June.

We shall see...

thanks for the updates guys - not so worried about lovefilm, though iplayer I was really wanting - picked up the ES6800 yesterday, so at least I know it's coming - thanks Stevem652

Latest update on the Samsung website:

App Status Update
Samsung Electronics strives to offer the widest choice and most up to date apps on its range of Smart TVs. A number of apps are currently undergoing development ahead of a firmware upgrade and are therefore presently unavailable on our 2012 televisions. The BBC iPlayer and Blinkbox apps are in testing and should be available in early June, with the LOVEFiLM app to follow by 30th June.

Looks like the goal posts are moving - predictably.

Last edited:
I bought this tv for the apps only to plug it in run the updates and find that what i wanted and was advertised wasnt there. I hope they push these updates rather soon. Ive even tried to watch lovefilm via the browser in the tv and that doesnt work either!! Really disapointed.
On another note: can any1 recomend any really good eye popping 3d films ?

BBC iPlayer appeared on my Samsung ES6300 yesterday as a Samsung Apps update, not a firmware update. No sign of Lovefilm yet but perhaps they're getting there.

received it a week ago along with a firmware update that took a fair amount of time to download and update.

Hi I have a 6560 and got bbc iplayer yesterday but there was a firmware update as well that I did current fimware is now 001021

Samsung Smart TU No. E22S5410W, bought this week, downloded the updates to version102.1. I can get Iplayer screen and select the program required, but when press play to will not load and times out. Connected to LAN at 30M. Help.

Welcome to the forum, but the best place to go for getting this fixed is the message form at MySamsung.

hi, i found bbc iplayer on the eu46es8000 & tried 2 open it. i got message 2 update software on support. i did a software update & i then could not access the apps but no interaction. then i reset it & it reset the whole tv except network settings which now does not work. i cannot access the browser or the apps. it gives message as error_exe_001. any1 had this problem & could help? plz

Found the lovefilm app in the Samsung Apps Video section today on my UE46ES6710....not sure when it arrived but it wasn't there 2 weeks ago when I bought the set. It wouldn't log me in at first so I checked my devices list on the lovefilm website and it turned out my old TV was still active...could have sworn I deactivated it before I sold it.

Anyways, had a look at a few HD streams and can confirm that it all looks very nice :)

I have the BBC iplayer installed but it always gives me the error "sorry: timeout error" when playing anything.

Hi Stevvie, bbci player has just been included. have you tried deinstalling it & installing it again from the apps hub? also have you tried updating the software on support menu?

hi iain66, you're right. I went into apps page and when I choose bbc iplayer, the option to uninstall is light grey, ie. not offered. Mine now has version 2.010 and it works. I had to reset it on the support menu, then self diagnosis and opt to reset.

Have just bought Samsung Series 7 24" LED TV. Firmware version 1003 originally installed and bbc iplayer won't even load. Called samsung support and they e-mailled me new firmware version 1004, but still not working, just says 'Your device is not supported'. Starting to wish I'd bought Sony or Panasonic. Any suggestions out there?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom