• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Samsung SMART TV down ?

Tafflad

I have a Samsung 46es6800 Smart TV.

BBCiPlayer, Ch4 player etc all complaining of no internet connection (on known good wired Ethernet connection)

Spent a fun Hr trying to reset & reload Samsung SMART Hub ... and have now found that others have same problem, there is a fire in a Samsung factory in S.Korea that has taken Samsung Smart Hub service off line.

Samsung data center fire causes outage, errors on smart TVs and phones (update: fixed)

Does this sound plausible ?

I would have expected that the TV would connect via ISP for it's media content, and certainly not have to stream via S.Korea.
Fair enough you have to load app from app sore that is in S.Korea ... but once you have it, would not expect to go outside country for content.
In any event you would expect Samsung to have multiple redundant servers in different Geographic locatiuns.

My phone (Samsung GS4) is working fine ...
Samsung data center fire causes outage, errors on smart TVs and phones (update: fixed)

xmb

What this incident has highlighted is the poor design Samsung has implemented for its "Smart" TV services.

If online services are an essential part of your TV choice then it may be best to avoid Samsung products, as it is now clear you could find they stop working when Samsung's servers are down!

Tafflad

As they represent probably the best value & quality for the money, a difficult choice for many.
Maybe this incident will prompt them to look at distributed servers.

FYI ... it recovered around 1300 yesterday, presumably when they switched to backup servers.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom