Samsung SM225MD vs. LE22S86BDX - Opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by ntisdale, Sep 20, 2007.

Tags:
  1. ntisdale

ntisdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There seems to be some information/reviews out there on the samsung SM225MD (or at least it's analogue counterpart the SM225MW) but little information on a very similarly spec'ed set samsung's LE22S86BDX (see http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...descreen-LCD-TV/Product.html?searchtype=genre).

I considering both of these primarily for use as a TV for in the bedroom but would like PC connectivity for use with a HTPC. As mentioned both set are similarly spec'ed, the LE22S86BDX however is classed by Samsung as a TV whilst the SM225MD is classed as a monitor with TV tuner. I don't know how significant this is in terms of their function but in terms of styling the LE22S86BDX is definitely more TV like.

If anyone has experience with either models I would be keen to hear them. As far as I have found from searching this forum, the web and samsung's user manuals the main complaints of the SM225MW (and so I assume they apply to the SM225MD) is poor sound and bad standard definition picture. I believe the SM225MD has SRS trusurround - I wonder if this improves the situation? Also I would be keen to hear people's opinion of the picture quality from the internal digital tuner or from an RGB SCART source. The LE22S86BDX seems to include a few extra image processing buzz words like DNIe etc... does anyone know if this helps improve the quality of standard def pictures? Finally I get the impression both the SM225MW and SM225MD cannot receive sound over HDMI, the manual states you need to connect a seperate audio cable into the 3.5inch audio in jack, is this true?

Thanks
    Neil

2. j633295

j633295
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have bought the SM225MD mainly used as a PC monitor and am really pleased with it. The SM225MD is positioned as a LCD monitor whereas the LE22S86BDX is more designed as a TV set. It is slim and space saving. As for the sound quality, don't expect it to be great (given its slim design).... I don't expect them to be good from any LCD monitor anyway. I use the audio in jack to connect from PC sound card to the monitor.

Hope this helps.

3. airefc

airefc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi I have been considering buying the Samsung LE22S86BDX, however I cant find any reviews on it either.

Dont want to buy it without seeing any opinions on the tv as its not worth the risk.

4. Dunk1970

Dunk1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5