1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung slight picture problem !! any ideas ?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Bacus, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Bacus

Bacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,667
    Hello to everyone.. :hiya:
    The slight problem i have is with my Sammy 50", it's with the black bars that you have top and bottom of the screen !! My problem is with the top bar.Half way accross the screen the top black bar drops down one line(it's there on most sky channels) now that i have notised it,it is starting to bug the hell out of me.
    I have never come accross this be for or even seen any remark on the Forums about this !!! Can anyone answer this problem ?? :suicide: :lease:

2. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I don't know if it may have something to do with the transmission & scanning of the picture being broadcast ???

This type of thing also occurs on cathode ray tv sets with the upper black bar (different technology I know :D ) - sometimes it's there & somethimes it isn't :confused:

3. Lion

Lion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    I get this on my old crt toshiba and someone did explain what caused it to me once,
    but I can't remember a word they said !

but I do remember that it's not a fault.

4. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi sikenny - The fact that you are seeing black bars top and bottom at all when viewing Sky (digital I presume) implies that you are viewing in letterbox mode and NOT widescreen. I have Telewest digital and FreeView and on both you can tell the digi-box to output the signal in widescreen (because you have a widescreen TV) and then you won't see any black bars top and bottom at all. Also make sure that the Samsung is in 16:9 mode to ensure everything is displayed in the correct aspect ratio. I've just flicked through ten channels including all the main ones and no black bars appear on my Samsung SP50 - they are all pretty much widescreen transmissions now.

If you tell the digi-box to output 4:3 or Pan & Scan then the signal if widescreen will appear letterboxed and include the black bars in order to preserve the aspect ratio. This might also explain the effect you're seeing as sometimes you will see extra coloured lines when viewing widescreen material on 4:3 TV's. You can see this letterboxed effect when viewing analogue TV as most programmes are widescreen now but are broadcast as 4:3 - most people don't notice the black bars though as they are so slim but those flickering lines will appear every now and then.

I'd check out your setup just to make sure as I only see letterbox when viewing DVD's that are 2.35:1 which is wider than 16:9 or 1.85:1.

Hope this helps

Cheers
    KableMan

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    Agreed. You might expect to see (unstepped) black bars on many widescreen DVDs - where the actual film is wider than your TV - but not on the vast, vast majority of TV broadcast (which, on digital platforms, is typically full screen 16x9 - widescreen TV shaped).

There's a really easy (well, to me at least) way to see if things are right. Are people's faces face shaped - or fatter/wider? Are circles round, or oval? Etc?

If things are displayed the wrong shape, then you are doing it "wrong".

6. Bacus

Bacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,667
    Thanx mate..all sorted now,my blasted sky box was outputting 4.3 mode !! now changed to widescreen and now have a picture that fills the screen. Thanx :smashin:

7. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have also noticed the step in the black bar at the top of the screen - i've even seen it move :eek: - and its even lined up properly on some occasions :cool: I have set mine deliberately to 'Letterbox' format, as i feel the full screen is a little overpowering and things just seem to look better (to me) whilst set to letterbox :confused:

8. Tufan

Tufan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Soni :hiya:

I finally noticed the note at your signature that states your SP50 is wallmounted. It looks interesting but isn't that really high? If you are watching that from below, isn't the PQ lower?

And personally I still like it on its stand!

9. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :hiya: Tufan

Nah, you haven't seen the length of my neck :D :smashin:

10. Bacus

Bacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,667
    Thats interesting that you also get this problem. I to seem to prefer viewing with the letterbox ! I am also very glad that it is not a fault with my set !! :rolleyes: Do you notice it much or notice it a lot because you know it's there ?

11. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It doesn't bother me to be honest, i would rather it wasn't there, but its not enough to bother me. I would much rather put up with a line out at the top of the screen as opposed to watching something so 'in your face' like the widescreen setting seems to be:cool:

12. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi guys - you've both completely stumped me now :confused: why ever would you want to watch a true anomorphic widescreen picture in a letterboxed 4:3 mode?

If the image is truly 16:9 then it should look perfect full screen - if the image looks odd or out of proportion then you may like LV426 suggests have the Tv in the wrong mode and aspect ratio?

Likewise a letterboxed 16:9 image will actually be 1.33:1 i.e. 4:3 (it was created in order to be able to view widescreen movies with VHS on a 4:3 TV) and so will surely appear stretched when displayed in 16:9 mode on the samsung? You really have thrown me :confused:

So what do you do when watching something like Saving Private Ryan which is 1.85:1 i.e. 16:9 - do you watch it with black bars top and bottom? Also this would mean that Gladiator or LOTR which are 2.35:1 which appear with black bars at 16:9 would appear with huge black bars top and bottom :suicide:

Help? :D

Cheers
    KableMan

13. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :hiya: Kableman

We love our letterbox setting - you should give it a try - go on Kableman, don't fight it mate you know you want to :D

I watch all my movies like Day After Tommorrow, Spiderman, etc., etc., all in 4:3, as that is THE best looking picture format for this type of set - only kidding :D :D :rotfl:

No seriously, i do honestly think the picture from Telewest looks a lot better in the letterbox format than widescreen. When i first got the Sammy, after i had the Tosh, i noticed the picture didn't look right - it looked like it was on zoom mode or something :confused:

It ended up giving me headaches in the end, and i had to do something - but it had been fine with the Tosh, so i checked all the obvious things like making sure the TV was set to 16:9, it was, then i checked it wasn't on any secret zoom setting, which i couldn't find anything for that, and then i eventually turned towards the actual Telewest box, and entered the setup menu and found the letterbox setting - i haven't looked back since :)

Although i must admit there are quire large bars at the top and the bottom of the screen. :suicide:

Attached Files:

14. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    This is a wind up, right? Surely the image posted by soni should really look like this. Of course, you would also have to modify your wall-mounted TV to 4:3 format :D

15. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    Of course it's a wind up. (I hope).

As is the wall mounting. The only tool you need to wallmount this TV in the way illustrated is "Photoshop" (or similar).

16. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok guys i come out with my hands up :blush:

But seriously, i am being honest when i say that the widescreen mode from the Telewest box is very overpowering on the Sammy - gives me headaches and basically just looks naff, compared to the letterbox mode - and yes the TV IS set to 16:9 :confused: :mad:

17. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +498
    Perhaps if you put it on its side and lay down more? :)

Regards

Mark

18. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Anybody else out there got a Telewest box and the SP50L7?

19. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    What do you mean by "overpowering"? Perhaps you're sitting too close to your 50" TV.

20. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well if i was sitting to close, then i would have thought DVD's would have also been overpowering - but there difinately not:confused:

I sit about 10 ft away, which is just about in line with the recommended distance for a 50" screen.

When i say 'overpowering' - it looks like its on zoom mode with everything blown up! :devil:

21. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi soni - I have telewest and its definately set to widescreen and it looks perfect. The images are in proportion when viewing in 16:9 mode. It is true anomorphic widescreen and doesn't look overpowering - it looks perfectly natural. I'll try letterbox tonight but as far as my understanding goes - letterbox is used to show widescreen images with a 4:3 aspect ratio and as such the images will look stretched if viewed in 16:9.

There is a zoom mode on the Samsung. Maybe you are using Auto Wide mode and have assigned Zoom to widescreen signals rather than 16:9?

Cheers
    KableMan

PS. Was the picture a wind up or is that really what you see? As that is what I'd expect. Unless of course the telewest box is doing something odd to the signal :confused:

22. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Kableman,

That photo was actually a wind up, i'll keep it serious from now on.

I'll try and take some photos later with it set to Widescreen. The Sammy is definately without a shadow of a doubt set to 16:9, and i don't think the zoom function has been activated :confused:

I'll have to have a check and will let you know :smashin:

23. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,511
    Soni[​IMG]

Round of applause for this thread. I knew you were on a wind up. :smashin:

24. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    :D I knew the wall hanging was a wind up but you had me going with this one :eek: :smashin: