samsung sky+hd set-up-help

anthony k

Standard Member
Reaction score
hi...had sky+hd for about a week now and very impressed with the hd content from my samsung box,but have to say the picture quality on sd is now alot worse than before with my bog-standard pace box(not sky +)
just had alook at the set-up behind the tele and was surprised to see 2 scart sockets running from the sky box to both the scart feeds in the tele as well as the hdmi lead..is this normal and do i really need any scart sockets?...have a blue-ray player attached to the other hdmi feed...would this set-up have a effect on the picture quality on sd...thanks

Unplug the scart lead from the HD box to the TV, this is not needed as you are using the HDMI lead.

You just need the HDMI lead.

Just had my Sky HD installed,like you,mine's a Samsung and the guy connected it up with a scart and a HDMI lead that was just lying there,trouble was,the other end of the HDMI lead was connected to my media player :rotfl:

why would the installer leave the scart leads in anyway,if not needed:confused:

Not sure if this would affect your picture, but you don't need the SCART's if you have HDMI so remove them and see if it improves the picture. I've only just had my Samsung HD box fitted today and I don't think the SD picture is any worse than the Thompson Sky+ SD box I had before, if anything I'd say its better.

The independent that installed it did plug the HDMI into my TV, but I didn't notice that he also fitted the SCART which I had on the Sky+ machine, when he'd left and I played about with the HD channels I was initially disappointed with the picture and couldn't see a difference between SD and HD a quick investigation revealed that he'd set it up on the TV's SCART channel so I remove the SCART and turned over to the HDMI channel and WOW! What a difference. :smashin:

Last edited:
Yeah take them both out.

I only use the scart leads on HD boxes during installation, just incase there is any tweaking to the picture setting to be made. If you change something in the picture setting to do with the HDMI output you could lose the picture, having the scart lead there as a back up the rectify the fault. I then switch back over to HDMI and remove the scart lead.

Yeah take them both out.

I only use the scart leads on HD boxes during installation, just incase there is any tweaking to the picture setting to be made. If you change something in the picture setting to do with the HDMI output you could lose the picture, having the scart lead there as a back up the rectify the fault. I then switch back over to HDMI and remove the scart lead.

thanks...how do you check then that the installer has switched it to HDMI?

You will know once the scart leads have been removed. The TV should then switch straight over onto the HDMI channel, if it doesn't then use your TV to change the input/source until the HDMI channel comes up.

You will know once the scart leads have been removed. The TV should then switch straight over onto the HDMI channel, if it doesn't then use your TV to change the input/source until the HDMI channel comes up.

i will go and do it now...:smashin:....thanks skybloke77

all gone well..does seem improvement of picture quality.....will a better HDMI lead make any more difference?

It could do, but the ones that come with the box are good themselves.

So you definately get an HDMI cable with the SKy+HD install?

I was told that they may/may not have an HDMI cable when they came to do the install(due tommorow)

Bry.

Mine came with one today, so it should have one.

In the box that the HD box comes in are the following items.

HD STB
Remote control
Batteries
Modem lead
Scart lead
HDMI lead
RF lead
Mains power lead
Instruction manual
Copy of the Terms and Conditions.

all gone well..does seem improvement of picture quality.....will a better HDMI lead make any more difference?

Absolutely not. Please don't waste your money or get fooled into buy anything else. The sky one will work as good as one you pay £100 for. It's 1s and 0s. It won't make the 1s any straigter or the 0s any rounder. Would you pay £100 for a better USB cable for your printer? Well, you may, but it won't improve the quality of the print...

Absolutely not. Please don't waste your money or get fooled into buy anything else. The sky one will work as good as one you pay £100 for. It's 1s and 0s. It won't make the 1s any straigter or the 0s any rounder. Would you pay £100 for a better USB cable for your printer? Well, you may, but it won't improve the quality of the print...

Well said, finally someone with some sense.:clap:

Yep you get one with your hd box. No diff in quality between the supplied and the expensive ones you can get, that I can see anyways.

How long is the HDMI cable that comes with it? I assume 1 metre.
SKyBloke77- you doing any installs in the Derby area on Thursday by any chance?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom