samsung sky hd hdd upgrade

stox

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi can anyone help?
I'm about to put a 1tb hdd into my samsung sky+ hd box but im slightly confused about Darwin. My sky box has never been connected to a telephone line and i have a feeling that its not running Darwin....could that be correct? It doesnt show SYSF when i look at the details.
I'm wondering 2 things...
1. Can I just put the new hdd in and do a planner rebuild? I'm sure i read somewhere that the samsung will only recognise 500gb if i do it this way. Is that correct?
2. If im not running Darwin could i use copy+ to format the new drive? Typically ive gone to do this tonight and the expvr site is down as its been hacked!
Any help would be very welcome, thanks

Sorry if ive posted this in the wrong place!
Maybe i should also add that im not concerned about transferring across any recorded programmes...i just want to get it working and have the whole drive available (minus whatever anytime etc swallows up)

From memory and if nothing has changed in the past couple of years, you can replace the 500GB hard drive with a 1TB hard drive and it will be formatted as 750GB useable and 250GB reserved. Doing this disabled the fan on my Samsung box, which could shorten the life of the Sky box and the hard drive unless it is taken care of.

Well ive tried formatting the new hdd in the sky + hd box but without success. Its still showing a system fault when i enter the planner. Does anyone have an idea how i can get this working?
Will i need to format the hdd on a pc using copy+ or similar?

It's been so long since I did mine, but I'm pretty sure I just plugged it in and let it do it's thing - with not really much to it. I think it was only when wanting to make use of hard drives of 1.5TB or 2TB that a more in-depth process was required. Hopefully someone else can help.

Thanks again Thebluefalcon. I've managed to do the hard reset now with the the blue lights spinning anti clockwise so ill see how it is in the morning

The phone line makes no difference.
If you're a subscriber an almost-free 2tB machine might have been a better option.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom