Samsung SH893M HDMI to DVI connection problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by snailracer, Jun 11, 2009.

1. snailracer

snailracer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, hello I'm a newbie so hopefully this is in the right place.

My mother recently bought The above samsung player and asked me to help her connect it to her TV.

We initially connected using a scart lead but found that the instructuions said we could connect using an HDMI to DVI cable and as the Hitachi 42PMA225EZ TV she has, has a DVI input we rushed out to buy a cable.

The TV picks up the connection but all we get is a blue screen, can anyone suggest anyway to get this to work?

Thank you :)

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,018
    Post moved to the DVDR section.

3. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,018
    Normally, a TV connected via HDMI, communicates back to the source device what its resolution capabilities are so that the source device can select an appropriate resolution.
    That information cannot travel over an HDMI/DVI bridge... so you may need to find out what the TV's resolution capabilities are [ from the specification ] and make an appropriate setting in the HDMI output settings.

HDMI is also principally a security interface, and if it cannot get the handshake information to say the attached device is properly compliant then the link will be denied... and no matter what you do you may not get a picture.

It is debatable whether it is worth it in any case. The only source that might get some improvement would be commercial DVD sources.