Samsung SH893 DVD Recorder Recording probs

francophile40

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there
Can anyone help? I am aware that when using the Timer Record function on this unit, the television HAS to be put on Stand By in order for the Recorder to start recording at the allotted time....however, I find that if I start recording a television programme I am actually watching, and then put the television (an LG) onto Standby e.g. to go to bed, or go out, then immediately I do so, (well, a few seconds later), the DVD Recorder simply switches itself OFF! As I say, we are not talking Timer Record, but an "immediate" Record if you get my drift! Anyone had similar problem or got any answers? Thanks!:lease:

Hi there
Can anyone help? I am aware that when using the Timer Record function on this unit, the television HAS to be put on Stand By in order for the Recorder to start recording at the allotted time....

If that is true... it is utterly ridiculous.
however, I find that if I start recording a television programme I am actually watching, and then put the television (an LG) onto Standby e.g. to go to bed, or go out, then immediately I do so, (well, a few seconds later), the DVD Recorder simply switches itself OFF! As I say, we are not talking Timer Record, but an "immediate" Record if you get my drift! Anyone had similar problem or got any answers? Thanks!:lease:

Welcome to the forum.

Can you confirm my suspicion that you are programming recordings using the TV's EPG and Remote control?... rather than the control for the unit, which I suspect will provide you with better independence of operation.

That said - Samsungs are known to be operationally very weird and in a world of their own.

Can you provide the TV model number also please.

Nope, not using any EPG or programming guide of any type. Simply say watching a TV programme, deciding to record it instead and go to bed, so press the REC button on the DVD Recorder remote control, which sets it off correctly recording, then switch TV to Standby by either use of the TV remote control, or the DVD recorder remote control (we have tried both!)...and this then results in, a few seconds later, the DVD recorder deciding to switch itself to OFF...(note,though, the Timer function works without any problem, we can program a t.v. program to record, then switch the t.v. to standby - (cos you have to with this model)! - and at the allotted time the DVD recorder switches on perfectly, records the said programme and then switches itself off correctly!) TV is an LG - MODEL 32LF2510..any ideas?
Thanks again!

Nope, not using any EPG or programming guide of any type. Simply say watching a TV programme, deciding to record it instead and go to bed, so press the REC button on the DVD Recorder remote control, which sets it off correctly recording, then switch TV to Standby by either use of the TV remote control, or the DVD recorder remote control (we have tried both!)...and this then results in, a few seconds later, the DVD recorder deciding to switch itself to OFF...(note,though, the Timer function works without any problem, we can program a t.v. program to record, then switch the t.v. to standby - (cos you have to with this model)! - and at the allotted time the DVD recorder switches on perfectly, records the said programme and then switches itself off correctly!) TV is an LG - MODEL 32LF2510..any ideas?
Thanks again!

What method of connection to the TV are you using: HDMI or scart?

...and see page 83 of your TV manual for guidance where to find the 'Simplink' setting... and turn it OFF if it is ON.

Gavtech.....You are an absolute genius and have saved me from the men in white coats having to come and take me away....it is an HDMI link, but as soon as we switched OFF the Simplink....hurrah, we can do immediate recording AND switch the tele to Standby....brilliant, a million thanks!!!!!!:clap:

Hi, just a final point on this problem....bizarrely we found that we needed to set the SIMPLINK to "ON" in order for TIMER RECORDING to function and for the DVD recorder to commence recording at the pre-determined time, whilst it needs to be set to "OFF" for Recording immediately, i.e. as per my original post! Good old Samsung!!???:(

Hi, just a final point on this problem....bizarrely we found that we needed to set the SIMPLINK to "ON" in order for TIMER RECORDING to function and for the DVD recorder to commence recording at the pre-determined time, whilst it needs to be set to "OFF" for Recording immediately, i.e. as per my original post! Good old Samsung!!???:(

Grrrr- Samsung.

See page 39 of the Samsung manual and check that the Anynet+ (HDMI CEC) setting is set to OFF.

Hi Gavtech
Thank you so much for your continued support...we are now going to try all the possibilities to see if we can get settings that will allow both "immediate recording" and "Timer recording" without having to change the on/off flag for f both SIMPLINK and Anynet+ (though we dont have a Samsung tv so can only try with the Anynet on the DVD recorder). Will let you know how we get on!

Hi Gavtech and all!
Right, have now tried "immediate recording" and "Timer recording" using every possible combination of ON/OFF setttings for both SIMPLINK and Anynet+ and can confirm that with both options set to ON, "Timer recording" works o.k., but "immediate recording" doesnt (it stops if you then turn the television off). HOWEVER, with any other combination of ON/OFF settings, "immediate recording" does work and continues to work if you turn the t.v. off, but Timer Recording, with T.V. switched off, does NOT work! Solution: Leave both SIMPLINK AND Anynet+ as ON (assuming most recordings required will be set on the Timer), and then just turn SIMPLINK off if you want to do an immediate recording and turn the t.v. off ... Phew... time for a lie-down!:confused:

Hi Gavtech and all!
Right, have now tried "immediate recording" and "Timer recording" using every possible combination of ON/OFF setttings for both SIMPLINK and Anynet+ and can confirm that with both options set to ON, "Timer recording" works o.k., but "immediate recording" doesnt (it stops if you then turn the television off). HOWEVER, with any other combination of ON/OFF settings, "immediate recording" does work and continues to work if you turn the t.v. off, but Timer Recording, with T.V. switched off, does NOT work! Solution: Leave both SIMPLINK AND Anynet+ as ON (assuming most recordings required will be set on the Timer), and then just turn SIMPLINK off if you want to do an immediate recording and turn the t.v. off ... Phew... time for a lie-down!:confused:

My recommendation would be to use scart and abandon HDMI which is scarcely needed when using SD equipment, and which , unless there is something fundamentally wrong with the Samsung design [quite possible] should remove all these problems and give you independent control of the unit.

There was a bug with samsung's when connected via hdmi when timer recording but I thought that was sorted on the older models. Maybe they re-introduced it with the newer ones :(

Are you definitely using the epg built into the samsung dvd recorder for timer recording?

It might be worth trying a scart cable to the tv if there is some bug in the hdmi interface in one of the devices. I have a samsung dvd recorder myself and after trying both a scart and hdmi lead I was just as happy with the scart connection.

the latest firmware for your recorder is here always worth upgrading if you are having issues.

Hi, don't think we can use the EPG function (all our t.v. progs are coming in via satellite as we are in France, rather than thru an aerial so assume electronic programme guide is not an option anyway)....re. downloading the firmware, excuse my ignorance, but if I download the suggested file onto my p.c. what then?
Err, how do I update/upgrade my recorder thereafter...sorry, again, for ignorance!

That firmware is for the uk based model. This is a uk based forum and I assumed you were in the uk. I suspect there is a firmware file for yours and it may even be the same one but probably best to check the model number of your recorder. The uk model is DVD-SH893M yours may be different.

Thanks for the info...my model is an SH893A. Will investigate further...cheers to all who have helped! :)

The problem I found, when timer recording last night from my sky box, was that this morning, the Recorder was off, the Sky box was off, but the TV had switched on - it was obviously left on standby! The recorder is connected by HDMI to the TV, a Samsung LE620. Should i switch off the Anynet on the recorder?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom