Samsung SH855M: Problem with viewing Jpegs and Avi files on USB

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mowg, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Mowg

Mowg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I posted this in another thread, but I thought I might get better luck in an entirely new thread:

==

2. Mowg

Mowg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone? The New TV and DVD-recorder is nearly collecting dust Dx

3. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,095
    It is just a given fact that photos never present as well from a source device like a DVDR. They are generated in a different way from when presented on a PC screen. Also PC screens have a finer dot size and resolution than TV screens. Interlacing makes pictures appear poor.

Also it is actually counter productive to use big file sizes ... apart from the wasted storage space, it simply makes them slower to reproduce. There is no gain in going beyond the resolution of the output device which is likely to be 720 x 576 or thereabouts.
    Depending on the way you are connected and the output resolution there is likely to be multi-rescaling of the picture - up and down again... [ The TV will rescale it too, to it's native resolution] ... all of which will tend to degrade it.

Regarding the failure to play AVI's you can take nothing for granted and should check specifications carefully. [ I think to play AVI's from USB is very rare... certainly in the mainstream upmarket machines from Japan. Korean machines might do such a thing. ]

The success of upscaling is limited, if effective at all... and largely depends on source quality. There is little to be gained from SD sources such as Freeview.
    Some benefit can be gained from DVD sources ... especially by using progressive settings.
    Note that your TV upscales anything input into it in any case.... and to it's native resolution.