Samsung Series 6. What is "Game Mode" ?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by richardhawkes, Feb 19, 2013.

1. richardhawkes

richardhawkes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello peeps,

Firstly apologies if this has already been answered. I've done a few searches, and can't quite find what I'm looking for. I have just purchased a Samsung 40" Smart TV (UE40ES6710). So much to love about this. The fact that it has the NAS box as one of my tv sources gets my knees wobbling!

However... I am seeing lag when playing Halo 4 on the XBox. Last night I was going bonkers as I got repeatedly killed by those nasty young'ens teaching this old guy a lesson. OBVIOUSLY, it couldn't be the fact that I'm totally rubbish. Plus a little experimentation was showing just a gentle delay between controller movement and screen movement. And when you're firing like a loon all over the screen, that makes all the difference!

Right, back to the point. I tinkered around last night and managed to find "Digital Noise Filter" and "MPEG Noise Filter" which I switched off and DID notice a small amount of difference. Rather than getting totally butchered, I got mildly hammered. That's pretty much the norm for me, so I am wondering if it's now in my head.

Spoke to Samsung this morning (very knowledgeable service for me by the way), and he mentioned enabling "Game Mode", which is (ahem) conveniently located under the settings menu. What I am wondering is "What is Games Mode"? Will it affect my picture? Can I keep it on while not gaming, or is it so noticeable as to be unusable?... And what does it actually do !?

There, I got to the question eventually :) Hope you can help.

Cheers
    - Richard

2. richardhawkes

richardhawkes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, I think I may have found the answer by being more generic in my google search. Rather than type "UE40ES6710 game mode" in google, just using "game mode" comes up with some very enlightening answers.

Basically, it's shifting from 100Hz (or is it 120hz) down to 50/60hz, and probably disabling those filters by default. Although it's not explicit, at least I have some idea of what is going on now.

Thanks
    Richard

3. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,156
    Game mode does a few things often disabling post processing effects which cant otherwise be turned off so yeah game mode is a good idea along with turning anything else off in the TV's settings that may still be left on like contrast enhancers and noise filters as you've noticed.

Game mode plus warm1 in colour mode works well enough for me, there's no harm in adjusting other settings like brightness, contrast etc to suit what you think looks best.

4. iwb100

iwb100
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,228
    Game mode will reduce the lag by reducing the processing the TV does. In turn it will degrade the picture quality to some extent. However as you play Halo online you don't have a choice.

On my ES6900 the only way I can get low enough lag for online gaming is NOT through game mode but by renaming the input my Xbox 360 is plugged into as "PC".

This seems to remove all the processing and gives the lowest lag and the best experience for gaming, though again at a cost to picture quality.

However low lag is essential if you want to do well in Halo for example. Or even in my case, not be totally battered each and every time!

5. richardhawkes

richardhawkes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, now that is bonkers! Perhaps standing on one leg with the HDMI cable in the air may improve things too ;).

Thanks all for your help. I'll try in Game Mode first, and if my KD ratio remains awful, I'll try "PC" as well. Lordy!

- Richard