Samsung Series 6 TV Ad

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by DarkArchon, Jun 19, 2019.

1. DarkArchon

DarkArchon
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone can help me with an ad issue I seem to be having.

As of yesterday, I have multiple ads which I can not remove it does not give me the option, I have changed the terms of usage, I have also set TV up as new twice, but to no avail, I have attached a pic, was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and know how to remove them.

Attached Files:

2. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
    @Foster1984 I seem to recall you know how to block these?

Ads are normal on every smart tv now, Samsung don’t allow you to disable them so you need to block them at source via your router. I have ads on my QLED but not as bad as in your pic

3. DarkArchon

DarkArchon
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah right ok, cheers for that, Ill read on blocking them via the router then.

4. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,206
  5. Foster1984

Foster1984

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    As @zeppelino said, ads are just the new status quo these days on smart TVs. there is no 100% fool proof way t block them.

You can opt out via the T&Cs, and have the SmartHub menu turned off on startup, and the TV resumes the last "app" used on startup. That way your TV always turns on to HDMI 1 or whatever, regardless of whether that source is on or not.

But these actions can be undone when the TV does an update.

The only sure fire way to get rid of them is to block a series of IP addresses and websites at a network level. But this tends to lead to the ad box being replaced with an "error message" box instead.

Plus the ad providers have a habit of changing the IP addresses they use, so you blocks might only work for a short period of time, unless you want to constantly monitor your network traffic. So you have to monitor your network traffic to see which addresses the TV is communicating with...and then decipher which of those addresses are for the apps you're using like Netflix, etc.

If you do wish to do it though, common ones to block are:
    • ads.samsung.com
    • ads.samsungads.com
    • samsungads.com
    My advice though is to do as I did and have the SmartHub menu turned off on startup, and the TV resumes the last "app" used on startup.

This way, you'll only see ads as and when you use the SmartHub menu, which is likely only for a second or 2 while you scroll to your desired app.