Samsung Series 5

CP-PC

Novice Member
Im building a gaming pc and and looking for a tv that i can use as a monitor. as the moment i am looking at the Samsung Series 5 LE32A559P4F 32" True HD Freeview LCD TV
ive seen loads of reviews about the 5 series and they are all good but i havent found anyone that is using this tv to play games on...... is they much lag? i cant seem to find a refresh rate for this tv either. im assuming its between 5 and 10 ms.
is this a good tv and monitor?
any other tv's to look at? im looking at 32inch tv's and dont want anything smaller or bigger.
i also want the tv to do True HD resolutions.... there are only a handfull of 32inch tv's that can do True HD, the tv says its xbox 360 and ps3 ready, so it should be good for gaming?? i have not used games consoles before as im a pc man but if its good enough for 360 or ps3 gaming it should be good enough for pc gaming right? or am i wrong?

badbob

Banned
You need to get a better GPU for 1920x1080 gaming. 8800GTS at the minimum. I use a 8800GT but mostly have AA off for newer games.

If you're really into gaming I'd get one of the 2ms 22" PC screens, really smooth.

CP-PC

Novice Member
You need to get a better GPU for 1920x1080 gaming. 8800GTS at the minimum. I use a 8800GT but mostly have AA off for newer games.

If you're really into gaming I'd get one of the 2ms 22" PC screens, really smooth.
im getting 2x 3780XT's (overclocked from 775core running at 850 and the ram 2250 clocked up to 2380) running crossfire..... will be more than powerfull enough. and i cant afford and dont have enough space for a 22 or 24inch monitor aswell as a 32inch tv. which is why im looking at getting a tv that i can use for a monitor.

the issue here is..... how the 32inch samsung series 5 performs as a gaming screen.

badbob

Banned
If you're getting two single cards why not just a ATI X2?:confused: Also the option later getting another.

I've used my 40" Samsung LCD for gaming, looks great for things like Supreme Commander but for FPS it does have some image lag. Not a lot [Paul Danels] But those 22" have less.

CP-PC

Novice Member
If you're getting two single cards why not just a ATI X2?:confused: Also the option later getting another.

I've used my 40" Samsung LCD for gaming, looks great for things like Supreme Commander but for FPS it does have some image lag. Not a lot [Paul Danels] But those 22" have less.
the reason im getting the 3780xt (overclocked) is because they run cooler..... and quiter..... (the whole point of my system)and i can get 2 of them and still have some change left over for the price of 1 X2 plus 2 of my cards will beat 1 X2 performance wise.
and i dont have the space to run a 22inch monitor and a 32inch tv. that is why i am trying to find a 32inch tv that is good for gaming.

Reckless187

Novice Member
I've just ordered the Samsung Samsung LE32A559P4F off Epire Direct for £569. I'll let you know how it is on Friday hopefully.

I have a Sapphire 3870Xt in my pc fitted with a Zalman VF900 & my card idles at about 35c according to CCC never goes over 50c when gaming! Get the VF900!!! With the stock cooler the card used to idle at a 45c.

badbob

Banned
The VF900 is now outclassed by the Accelero S1, strap a fan underneath. I upgraded from a VF900, a good 20 degrees cooler at loud, and that's with the ATI 1900XTX overclocked core to maximum ATI CCC will allow, compare with only 20mhz or so higher with the VF900.

Aaron_G

Standard Member
I have just received this exact tv and i am having real trouble getting it to play 1080p from my ps3 depsite the description on Overclocker saying it will. I have used the ps3 and current HDMI cable to play 1080p on another tv so I am baffled as to why this won't work. Anyone got any ideas as to what my problem is?

Cheers.

benrp

I have just received this exact tv and i am having real trouble getting it to play 1080p from my ps3 depsite the description on Overclocker saying it will. I have used the ps3 and current HDMI cable to play 1080p on another tv so I am baffled as to why this won't work. Anyone got any ideas as to what my problem is?

Cheers.
Is it plugged in to the HDMI 2 socket on the TV?

Aaron_G

Standard Member
Is it plugged in to the HDMI 2 socket on the TV?
I've tried all 3 of them. It works fine up until 1080i but says 'mode not supported' when i try 1080p. I thought it could have been a dodgy cable so i tried it in a mates tv and it works fine.

I have read the description on Over clockers right haven't I?

Thanks.

Aaron_G

Standard Member
Yep, in the manual it says 1080p supported.
Right, so I either have a dodgy HDMI cable/socket or I'm doing something wrong.

The cable can't be dodgy cause it works on other TV's perfectly fine, so its down to my incompetence or the tv has a fault..

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong before I ring the company to get a replacement?

Thanks for your help, it's appreciated.

benrp

I would definately try a another hdmi cable as there seem to be problems reported with some cables only being hdmi 1.0 compliant and causing problems with tv's that have hdmi 1.3 sockets.

CP-PC

Novice Member
I've just ordered the Samsung Samsung LE32A559P4F off Epire Direct for £569. I'll let you know how it is on Friday hopefully.

I have a Sapphire 3870Xt in my pc fitted with a Zalman VF900 & my card idles at about 35c according to CCC never goes over 50c when gaming! Get the VF900!!! With the stock cooler the card used to idle at a 45c.
ok yeah that would be great, let me know how it goes as i have been looking for reviews of this a while.
i wont need to upgrade the cooling on my card as its the HIS ICEQ 3 version which already has a brilliant and quiet cooling ssytem. have you fixed the 1080P issues? this is something im interested in as i will be running at this resolution.
anyone else had any experiences with this tv??
ive hurd its brilliant for tv and dvd's but havent seen anything about how it performs as a games monitor.

and yeah the manual and all websites say its 1080p capable which is what attracted me to this monitor in the first place.

Aaron_G

Standard Member
I would definately try a another hdmi cable as there seem to be problems reported with some cables only being hdmi 1.0 compliant and causing problems with tv's that have hdmi 1.3 sockets.
This cable is hdmi 1.3, although I have contacted the company I bought it from and they have said there has been a dodgy batch recently and mine could be one of those. But if it was a dodgy cable, how come my mates tv will play my ps3 fine at 1080p with the same cable but my TV won't?

Aaron_G

Standard Member
I've tried another HDMI cable and it works. The thing is, the other cable was miles better at 1080i compared to this one at 1080p so I'm gonna send them both back and make sure i get a cable from the 1st company that isn't dodgy! Thanks for your help people!

Cheers
Aaron

CP-PC

Novice Member
how is it for gaming?

Aaron_G

Standard Member
Yeah looks alright, I'll be able to comment more when I get a better cable than the one I've got at the moment. GT5 Prolouge does look amazing though!

Reckless187

Novice Member
ok yeah that would be great, let me know how it goes as i have been looking for reviews of this a while.
i wont need to upgrade the cooling on my card as its the HIS ICEQ 3 version which already has a brilliant and quiet cooling ssytem. have you fixed the 1080P issues? this is something im interested in as i will be running at this resolution.
anyone else had any experiences with this tv??
ive hurd its brilliant for tv and dvd's but havent seen anything about how it performs as a games monitor.

and yeah the manual and all websites say its 1080p capable which is what attracted me to this monitor in the first place.
My TV was delivered today & I've tested out Sky SD & the picture is way better than on my LE40R74BD, maybe because it's a smaller screen? I dont have a HD player so nothing I can say on that front but I have a Pioneer DV696 which upscales to 1080i & I noticed thqat on the new 32" Series 5 TV, the picture didn't look too good, looked really rough round the edges of people & there was not much detail there, nothing like on the picture on the 40" Samsung I have using the same player anyway.

I haven't messed around with the TV settings yet, maybe that'll fix things.

CP-PC

Novice Member
My TV was delivered today & I've tested out Sky SD & the picture is way better than on my LE40R74BD, maybe because it's a smaller screen? I dont have a HD player so nothing I can say on that front but I have a Pioneer DV696 which upscales to 1080i & I noticed thqat on the new 32" Series 5 TV, the picture didn't look too good, looked really rough round the edges of people & there was not much detail there, nothing like on the picture on the 40" Samsung I have using the same player anyway.

I haven't messed around with the TV settings yet, maybe that'll fix things.
thanks for the update. i have herd that the image quality is amazing for its size and one of my work mates has just got this tv too so im gonna go round his on sunday and test it out for pc gaming and see how it stacks up

Reckless187

Novice Member
I fiddled around with the display settings on the Pioneer DV696, I had the wrong resolution selected so I changed it to 720p which improved the picture immensely. All round so far I'm really pleased with the tv, even the SD picture quality is an improvement for me over my other samsung.

*EDIT* How come there is no info about the LE32A559 on the Samsung webstie? They list details for the 556/557/558 but nothing about the 559?

CP-PC

Novice Member
I fiddled around with the display settings on the Pioneer DV696, I had the wrong resolution selected so I changed it to 720p which improved the picture immensely. All round so far I'm really pleased with the tv, even the SD picture quality is an improvement for me over my other samsung.

*EDIT* How come there is no info about the LE32A559 on the Samsung webstie? They list details for the 556/557/558 but nothing about the 559?
they are all the same tv i beleive (MIGHT BE WRONG) but i think the 6-7-8-9 are just different styles or colours/moulding
then samsung site doesnt have a ms responce rate for these modles either which i was looking for and the 559 i have only seen for sale on overclockers.co.uk so it might just be a number relevent to the different sellers can someone clarify? on a note i went round my mates house(he just got the same tv 559 from overclockers) and we hooked it up to his pc and i was playing C&C3 tiberium wars at it looks fantastic, he had a couple of other games but they where old ones (diablo 1 and 2 and theme hospital) and they wouldnt go that high with the resolutions but even at the highest resolution they could play they looked good too. i didnt notice any lag but then C&C3 isnt a fast paced game. im gonna go round there next weekend and try and install some others games like halo, farcry oblivion and COD4 and some older games like BF 1942 and MOH allied asault. and ill get back to you but at first looks its brilliant. ill also hook up a crt monitor and use the stopwatch and camera trick to see the difference in lag.

Reckless187

Novice Member
I bought the exact same model TV from Empire Direct for £569.99 plus "29.99 for 3 years warranty. You'd be better off getting it from Empire Direct.

H

hbworld

Hi all. :hiya:

I've been reading this post avidly as I am also interested in a series 5 samsung (i'm stuck with a max 32" screen).
I've studied the Samsung site for a while too and printed the comparisons between the 556/7/8 and i see very little differences between them. However, I'm no expert.
I saw a 556 in the flesh in Richer sounds and was very impressed. I'll be using it for mostly TV and DVD and then blu ray. I am thinking of getting a wii
so the gaming scope of these sound good. Anyway, i have seen a LE32A559P4FXXU on teleland.co.uk for £589 with a 5yr guarantee. The Samsung site does not list the 559 so i was wondering if it was a European model, teleland say it isn't. I'd be very interested to hear more ratings on this tv as it's a good price and i can only find the 558 for £749. What do you guys think, is that a good deal for the 559?

ChrisGgr

556/557/558/559 exactly the same technically just cosmetic differencies