Samsung says their new F8500 Plasma is the 'new standard'

vaktmestern

Banned
Still not feeling the "darth vader" design on the samsung :rolleyes:

stucarblne

Lol most likely. Omg I cant wait for 8k OLED it will be heaven.

The blacks of the ST will do me nicely till then with 1080 content.
Quick question, you think 8K OLED will be under 5k this time 2018 ?... It's a while i know, but it's when i targeted buying my next screen after my Kuro m.

And lets be honest anyway, the blacks on plasmas now have been dark enough for a long time imho. Certainly since the vt20 and after. So your st50 should easily serve you well, no worries there

:edit: for about 50" for under 5k by 2018

Last edited:

Nevaborn

stucarblne said:
Quick question, you think 8K OLED will be under 5k this time 2018 ?... It's a while i know, but it's when i targeted buying my next screen after my Kuro m.

And lets be honest anyway, the blacks on plasmas now have been dark enough for a long time imho. Certainly since the vt20 and after. So your st50 should easily serve you well, no worries there

:edit: for about 50" for under 5k by 2018
I think maybe a bit sooner seeing what Japan has planned in 2015.

But under £5k for 50-50" by 2018 is plausible. Will need to see what state my affairs are come then lol.

As for black level I think it peaked with the Kuro and CMS wont get any more advanced shall we say now. External processing's only answer to that one.

Ao weve peaked really now its just waiting a few gens till they get the tech nailed and prices come down reasonable levels.

Last edited:

Nevaborn

vaktmestern said:
Still not feeling the "darth vader" design on the samsung :rolleyes:
Would of looked cool with Darth Maul or Revan. Instead we got Darth Maleks looks.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
But scoob my point is my ST50 goes plenty bright enough even when full sun facing patio. You may want LED brightness as you can have it already and the loss of detail you'll suffer will make it look like an lcd too lol.
I know what your point was hence what I said about retaining the detail;)
Still even if it means losing some detail people may need a brighter set for their room in the day and this would give them a choice.:)

Nevaborn

Scooby2000 said:
Still even if it means losing some detail people may need a brighter set for their room in the day and this would give them a choice.:)
We both seen how bright these go though cant imagine how you could want anything brighter even in daylight as it would just hurt your eyes.

Dont want you hurting your eyes scoobs ^^

Har-One

8K TVs by 2018 that would be something. I do not think that they will be out that soon. They are still milking 1080p. They will try to push the OLED and 4K tech for longer. It is all about the money. However it is quite hard to predict technology.

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
Scooby2000 said:
Indeed it would.
Bright usage for day, lower light output for night with no led traits eg haloing and flash lighting.

stucarblne

8K TVs by 2018 that would be something. I do not think that they will be out that soon. They are still milking 1080p. They will try to push the OLED and 4K tech for longer. It is all about the money. However it is quite hard to predict technology.
It's a sort of awkward time for buying round about now. A respected calibrator mentioned something similar recently on another thread and i agree something very similar tbh.

I would be gutted to buy a 4K plasma or OLED, only for a 8K to come put not long after :eek:

Which apparently will one day become the standard...

Dilemma time ; )

But i'm genuinely happy with milking 1080P for a few more years yet. I hope it's not dropped like a hot tatty though lol. As i have just committed to a 1080P display for a good few years, and along with a new bluplayer a Lumagen and a next gen console that's it for me until then :rolleyes:

Hope i'm not reduced to finding "old low res 1080P ;) " to fit my panel on a certain website on the cheap if they chuck the 1080P disk format lol. :D

babator

More brightness at same power use could be a very good thing - the other side of the coin would be less power use for a given calibrated brightness, getting a bit closer there to LCDs. Less need to do power limiting tricks that reduce picture quality, too, in order to fulfill the new (post-Kuro era) environmental regulations.

Should be good news for plasma fans who like ice hockey?

Nevaborn

babator said:
More brightness at same power use could be a very good thing - the other side of the coin would be less power use for a given calibrated brightness, getting a bit closer there to LCDs. Less need to do power limiting tricks that reduce picture quality, too, in order to fulfill the new (post-Kuro era) environmental regulations.

Should be good news for plasma fans who like ice hockey?
Ice hockey looks fine have no worries on that. Though I prefer male figure skating. Lol

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
We both seen how bright these go though cant imagine how you could want anything brighter even in daylight as it would just hurt your eyes.

Dont want you hurting your eyes scoobs ^^
In a bright environment it won't, in fact it would be the other way round as you may be shrugging to see the contet.;)
Not speaking myself but from experience of other peoples wants/needs.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Indeed it would.
Bright usage for day, lower light output for night with no led traits eg haloing and flash lighting.
Bang on sir:smashin:

Richard that would go a long way for me and I can see how it would be enough for some. But then there's motion, viewing angles and shadow detail. To be fair there's a list with plasma as well but personally its also about the appearance of the picture, LCD even the best still have a look I don't like.

Nevaborn

Well I still cant see a need for increasingly brighter panels. But too each their own, if they want it Im glad its getting done for people.

Perhaps my eyes are just more light sensitive =p

Eiji

Ugly TV. The stand looks like a smiling mouth at the bottom.

On another note, I hope the panel in the F8500 is used in atleast one lower model i.e F7500/F7900 (speculation).

Last edited:

CrescentMoon

Novice Member
On another note, I hope the panel in the F8500 is used in atleast one lower model i.e F7500/F7900 (speculation).
It seems there will be no 6 or 7 series plasma this year (at least not in the US), and the 5 and 4 series will NOT use the new panel.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member

i want to see a shootout with this and the panny ZT60. im impressed with the look and like the design. even through a video screen it looks very tasty. and steve words..its looks really impressive. cant wait for the reviews..it might be time for a pannyman to become a sammyman..

Last edited:

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
i hope they redesign their 3d glasses, they have to be some of the worst on the market.

vism

And still we don't know if the stand is detachable.

stucarblne

You would hope the stand is detachable. Also would hope that a universal tabletop stand was able to be fitted if it was detachable for wall mounting. Because it looks very silly IMHO. But it's the image that is really what's important at the end of the day - regardless of cosmetics.

CAS FAN

Distinguished Member
Mark Hodgkinson said:
Absolutely CAS, interesting to see how polarised opinions have been on this though.
I think it's just the stand Mark. I quite liked the stand on the ES8000 but just don't find this one appealing. I'd have no issues with it without the stand though.

Personally I am still very happy with my krp 500 and will probably upgrade to a 4k panel next. I would just like to see more 4k content before taking the plunge so it will probably be a year or two before I go down that route.

stucarblne

i think it's just the stand mark. I quite liked the stand on the es8000 but just don't find this one appealing. I'd have no issues with it without the stand though.

Personally i am still very happy with my krp 500 and will probably upgrade to a 4k panel next. I would just like to see more 4k content before taking the plunge so it will probably be a year or two before i go down that route.
+1

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG SN7CY Soundbar Review, Hisense 55U7Q, LG Nano90, Best of the Month, B+W Sigourney Weaver

Latest News

Polk launches MagniFi 2 soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung pulls out of IFA 2020?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th June 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
LG Soundbar UK prices and availability for 2020 confirmed
  • By Andy Bassett