Samsung say fault is actually by design - advice please

Turb007

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi

I bought a PS63C7000 in September 2010. Its been fine really since i got it. I had a slight HDMI issue in Feb but Samsung came out and swapped the main board and again all was fine.

over the last month I've noticed a purple haze on the screen that shows itself more against a white back ground

As its out of warranty now I have used my Barclays Extended Warranty services and they have put me in touch with service centre. I phoned them last week and logged a call and the guy took some details.

He called me back today and told me that Samsung are aware of the purple haze , say its not an issue and is actually by design. They cant fix it and basically tough.

Please help as I cant see how something that manifests itself over a year after having the set and ruins the use of the set the manufacturer can say oh yeh we knew that was going to happen so tough !!!

Two-year warranty loophole (EU law) | This is Money

They are talking **** and are trying to fob you off. if it didnt have it to start with, its clearly a fault thats developed since purchase and not by design, take some photos for evidence. if they cant fix it they need to replace it or refund the cost, quote them Sale of Goods Act and the 2 year EU law and ask for their solution. Other than that, may be threaten small claims court against retailer. I would get a 5 year guarantee next time, esp on Samsungs.

Last edited:
Thanks for that

I have warranty ( albeit extended with my bank ) but they are saying samsung say there is nothing to fix , there is no fault which is quite clearly bull***

I'm confused about my next step , the service centre say I should get them to take it too Samsung and then get samsung to either put it in writing there is no fault or fix it ( which they wont ) if I do that then I am basically where I am at now only I will have something official from Samsung saying tough

or do i go to the retailer who sold it ..who will follows samsungs lead

my biggest problem is it looks like Samsung and the Retailer will both turn around and say there is no fault so SOG Act will go out of the window.

My warranty even has a clause that if it cant be fixed they will pay market value up to a point but if the fault is being denied then they will again follow Samsungs lead and deny a fault

im not sure how others dealt with this, but may be independent engineers inspection and get it in writing that its a fault, not by design.. see what the service centre say.

you could send photo evidence to the retailer and ask for repair/refund/exchange.. but they will pass you back to Samsung..

im sure others have been in this boat, so would be useful to get more feedback.

Yeah I had similar issues with Samsung in the past. 'Its in the design' is really annoying. Only thing you can do is be persistent and annoy them. I went with Panasonic for my new TV and its been a worry free tv. There are far far bigger issues in the Samsung range than anyone else.

I've seen the thread and aware that its a known problem , It does not answer any of my questions though . Not even any feedback from people who have had the problem what they have done about it and where they went for advice

Teggfd ..who did you annoy though Samsung direct ?

Doesnt matter what their contract states, no contract can legally overrule you consumer rights. I had a smiler problem with my Panasonic V20, sadly my dealer went bust so I went direct to the top of Panasonic UK with pictures and videos of the issue I had posted on youtube. Heres a link to my thread with pictures, videos and the advise I got.http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1454995-panasonic-v20-issue-poss-magenta-noise.html

Go direct to the retailer and tell them you know your rights under the sales of goods act, they will have an about face.
Sale of Goods Act hub

Just noticed you mention SOGA, still try it with the retailer first though, then theres two things you can do. Gather evidence of your own issue and otheres from the internet and contact Samsung direct(as high as you can go, not CS) get an indipendent engineer out to do a report, Im sure a member on her can ether do this for you or point you in the right direction. any cost incurred you can get back. You shouldnt need to go as far as a report and court though if you try Samsung direct first. You just need to be polite and to the point, play the Happy owner who doesn't understand whats happened to your wonderfull TV and how disappointing their CS has been. Tell them you are aware of your rights and though with regret will have no choice but to take things further and take your custome elsewhere, but sure it wont need to go so fare with a company of their stature. Summit like that.:) Having videos on youtube helped me too, bad publicity and all that.:)

Last edited:
Nice one Scooby :)

Did you get anywhere with Panasonic ?

I spoke to the service guys yesterday and they are saying it needs to go back to Samsung first to get the to put something definite in writing that they wont fix it.

gonna ring back today and try to get them to put it in an email

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom