Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week Phil updates us on the Samsung S95B including a new firmware update which has meant the review is delayed slightly while it is tested further, including some ABL issues, plus, he reviews the Bowers & Wilkins Panorama 3 soundbar. Ed looks at the Q Acoustics Concept 50 Floor standers while Jules talks PQ EOTF and Gamma in our calibration discussions and Ian rounds up the week’s AV News. Finally, we get the guy's thoughts on Kenobi, while Ed gives us his album, playlist and vinyl of the week.

Presented by Phil Hinton with Ed Selley, Julian Scott and Ian Collen

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:20 - Welcome and catchup
00:15:00 - Competitions
00:16:55 - Auro Technologies files for bankruptcy
00:22:30 - Klipsch Reference Premiere news
00:23:51 - KEF LSX II speakers news
00:27:18 - Samsung S95B QDOLED bug fixing firmware update news
00:34:09 - Bowers & Wilkins Panorama 3 Review
00:36:06 - Q Acoustics Concept 50 Floorstander Review
00:41:20 - What is Gamma and why is it important?
00:53:17 - Ed's Album, vinyl and playlist recommendations
00:57:27 - TV recommendations including Kenobi and Top Gear

This podcast is sponsored by Farnell, the global electronics distributor, part of the Avnet group. Delivering products, services, and solutions to thousands of customers around the world who focus on electronic system design, manufacturing, industrial environments, as well as across maintenance and repair sectors.

Phil's standing desk for work and video production supplied by Maidesite - Maidesite S2 Pro - Electric Height Adjustable Desk 140X70 cm

These links will be live following the live stream

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Last edited:
Loving the more detailed discussion on calibration etc.

Can’t believe Auro has even this long. Would love to have the room for a home cinema and use Auro. From the previous discussions @Phil Hinton and Steve were very impressed especially with the upscaling.

@Ed Selley. I’m a converted Sheepdogs fan! That Outta Sight is blooming brilliant. Might have to keep an eye out for the vinyl too.

Last edited:
Are Ed's music recommendations available anywhere in a consolidated list? I'm not usually in a position to make note of them when listening and it's too much effort to try and find them again in audio, but I would come to the site to find them.

Thanks gents - Look forward to Ed's proposed KEF reviews and wonder if the Samsung feature in the next Philips shootout?

Last edited:
Are Ed's music recommendations available anywhere in a consolidated list? I'm not usually in a position to make note of them when listening and it's too much effort to try and find them again in audio, but I would come to the site to find them.
Hi netwiz, if you check back in the relevant thread for the podcast (so, for 13-Jun-2022 - come back here), Ed's Picks section will be posted as a video clip and the links to his recommendations will appear in the YouTube video description. Or you can pop over directly to the AVForums Podcast Channel to get the info.

Hi netwiz, if you check back in the relevant thread for the podcast (so, for 13-Jun-2022 - come back here), Ed's Picks section will be posted as a video clip and the links to his recommendations will appear in the YouTube video description. Or you can pop over directly to the AVForums Podcast Channel to get the info.
Hmm. So that's a no then. Obviously up to you how to deal with this but for me at least I just want to get in and get out with the latest list. I'm not going to scrub through even a relatively short video to pick out what they are from the chat. No worries - just some feedback.

Podcast Shorts - 13th June 2022:
News: Klipsch launches updated Reference Premiere speaker range for 2022

Hmm. So that's a no then. Obviously up to you how to deal with this but for me at least I just want to get in and get out with the latest list. I'm not going to scrub through even a relatively short video to pick out what they are from the chat. No worries - just some feedback.
Jumping in on this I'd second some forum thread on albums/playlists of the week - or a spotify / tiday playlist link as a point of reference for the lists. Often listening at a point where I can't make a note of the album, and forget to revisit. Scrubbing though a video is a bit of a kinetic barrier to finding the albums. I'd happily contribute every so often if it was a community thing to keep up to date.

Discussion: What has the team been watching recently?

Last edited:
Calibration discussion: What is gamma/ PQ EOTF and why is it important?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom